Author Topic: Lemmings Touch - New Lemmings game on the way!  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Lemmings Touch - New Lemmings game on the way!
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »
Seems this completely went under the radar.  I just found out about it today!  It's called Lemmings Touch, it's going to be for the PS Vita, and as the name suggests it seems to have a lot of emphasis on touch controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_eCsc-7_UQ

Good to see Lemmings is still considered viable enough for them to make a new game  :D  On the other hand, it's for a console that many people haven't bought so it'll be in a similar place to the PSP version.  Also it looks like they're recycling a lot of assets from the PSP version... which might be exactly why it is even able to be made.  But hey, new puzzles!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Lemmings Touch - New Lemmings game on the way!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »
Yeah, I don't have any new-school consoles. But the PSP version was already quite well-received, and with Luis we had a very active PSP user in the community.

I'm most interested in the controls. Mouse in one hand, with the other hand permanently hovering over skill hotkeys, is by far the quickest input method. The follow-up is probably a touchscreen replacing the mouse in that setup. Clones was the first game to have freely-mappable skill hotkeys, per default all on one hand's keyboard keys. I'm still envious that we didn't think of that before I saw it there. ;-)

The Vita obviously doesn't have a keyboard, so gestures might be the best for it, but I assume they're uncommon and hard to learn for casual players. Apparently, the Vita version has settled for always-highlight, i.e., selecting the lemming only highlights it, selecting a skill then immediately assigns it to the highlighted. This is doable as long as there is few multitasking, and if there are no time-critical assignments into a dense bunch.

-- Simon

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 05:04:11 AM »
I was never planning on buying the PSP Vita. Maybe this will change my mind. I see they brought back one of the special levels, that was in the PSP, called "Chain Reaction". The level is in 2:47. Also the one in 1:07, looks like Crystal Point. I looked at the skill number and they match. The exit for that theme is now a pipe. The background of the Crystal level is now a blue cave. At first it looked like a sewer, since the terrains were pipes. I'm interested in see the new levels of the original five themes.

Tricky 10 from the first Lemmings returns: http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Lemmings-Touch-PSV-B01.jpg
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:44 PM »
I want that game, it looks quite challenging and fun.

My brothers got a PSP Vita so I might maybe get him to buy the game :thumbsup:

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:10:30 AM »
I don't like the way they walk in this one. Their back is not standing straight up, like in many other Lemmings games and it's leaning down a little.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
Gah, what's the freaking point? No one has a Vita anyway.

They should focus on adding the level editor from the PSP version to the PS3 version of Lemmings.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »
To be honest, I don't feel comfortable having to buy the PSP Vita, because I thought I didn't need it, since I'm satisfied with my PSP 3000. The Vita sold less, than the original PSP. I still want to play the new levels and maybe build them in Lemmix, afterwards. Not all of them, because I see the teleport has return. Speaking of Lemmix, I still haven't gotten around in building the Lemmings PS3 levels in Lemmix.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:09:29 AM »
You know, you have to wonder why they haven't released an official Lemmings game for Android (and maybe iOS) yet. There's a few lemmings clones on there that seem to do fairly well, so an official game should earn them some cash...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »
You know, you have to wonder why they haven't released an official Lemmings game for Android (and maybe iOS) yet. There's a few lemmings clones on there that seem to do fairly well, so an official game should earn them some cash...
They did, almost a year ago. It seems to be a paywalled version of the PSP game.

(Honestly, though, I have no interest in what Sony do with their, IMO, unappealing rendition of the franchise with their weird freaky beaky little birdmen lemmings. It's not what it once was, and I don't think that will change unless it ends up back in the hands of those who created it, which seems unlikely. I think that the future of it is with things like Lemmini, Lix, and so on. :P)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »
That Lemmings PSP mobile is inferior to the original PSP version. It has no level editor, the water doesn't move and it's not really free. You have to pay for the other levels.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 05:10:07 AM »
They did, almost a year ago. It seems to be a paywalled version of the PSP game.

(Honestly, though, I have no interest in what Sony do with their, IMO, unappealing rendition of the franchise with their weird freaky beaky little birdmen lemmings. It's not what it once was, and I don't think that will change unless it ends up back in the hands of those who created it, which seems unlikely. I think that the future of it is with things like Lemmini, Lix, and so on. :P)

Hardly counts. It's only for "Playstation Mobile" devices which is just higher-end Sony devices and a VERY limited range of other brand's devices. Doesn't even include Galaxy.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 07:24:55 AM »
There is likely a political hurdle at play ("political in the sense of internal corporate politics, not government politics") clearly illustrated by the types of devices being supported.  It's well known that general-purpose mobile platforms like Android and iOS are eating into console game sales (particularly portable game consoles), especially for (but hardly limited to) the so-called "casual games" category.  Thus for a company like Sony primarily in the console games business, it can be a very complex matter in how to deal with this mobile space.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:45 PM »
The trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtSjN_7fv2w "Three steps to heaven" is in 0:54.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »
Hardly counts. It's only for "Playstation Mobile" devices which is just higher-end Sony devices and a VERY limited range of other brand's devices. Doesn't even include Galaxy.
Oh, I agree, but it does still exist. ;) I'd imagine, given Sony's conflict of interest as far as this sort of thing goes, it's the best that can be expected, though.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
I'm really sorry for the double-post, but I stumbled across this interesting little nugget of information, from here;

According to an interview with executive producer James Harkins on The Average Gamer, the platform holder has collaborated with various fansites to select the best stages from earlier games.

I'm just left asking one thing: When, or did they just never come here?

I seriously feel like I've missed something, here! Unless, of course, they don't mean Lemmings fan-sites.