Author Topic: Anyone else tried to use a gamepad with the PC version?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Anyone else tried to use a gamepad with the PC version?
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
I recently got and set up xPadder to work with Lemmix (since it doesn't have native controller support). It's not as convenient as playing with a keyboard and mouse, but the setup I have works suprisingly well, and since I use a laptop, it's a bit preferable to trying to use keyboard/mouse when I hook the computer up to the TV.

My gamepad is a 3rd-party Xbox 360 controller, and my setup is:
Move cursor: Either stick
Left click: Click the left stick or "A"
Right click: Click the right stick or "X"
Pause: Start
Fast Forward: "B"

And I also have shortcut key combinations for each skill - left/right shoulder button + X/Y/B/A. Each combination corresponds to the same order as they're on the toolbar (eg: left + X = climber, left + Y = floater, etc). Of course, I have a (rather obscure) combination corresponding to the skip level button - Back + click the left stick. =P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else tried to use a gamepad with the PC version?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:07 AM »
A number of console-based ports of Lemmings implemented skill selection by way of two buttons to move the skill selection left/right from where it is currently at.  It is obviously less efficient but probably easier to grasp/remember for novice users, although it is probably not a setup that Lemmix can currently support since I don't believe it has any keyboard support for "moving skill selection left/right".

I also wonder if it would work better for some people to use the left trigger/left bumper buttons instead of left/right shoulder (bumper?) for skill shortcuts.  I don't play consoles much but I'm thinking that hold-and-press-another-button actions would be easier if separate hand is used for the "hold" button from the "press" button.

As for pause, I tend to use it relatively often so while mapping to "Start" button is traditional, I wonder if actually mapping it to "B" is more efficient (and have "Start" for fast-forward instead)?  I'd imagine there is a slightly stronger need for pausing anyway using the controller rather than a real mouse to move the cursor.

I noticed there is no shortcut for increasing and decreasing the RR.  I grant you that it is not needed as much as shortkeys for skills, but seems like there are enough button combinations to support the two extra actions.  (I'm thinking maybe Y + d-pad up/down.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:03:46 AM »
Actually I forgot to mention that - it's simply dpad up/down!
I have Y as a secondary pause button. It's just like with the clicks - as well as what I mentioned, I also have the third option of the respective triggers.

I don't find it too problematic - after all, I can click with either hand. Left trigger or click the left stick for the left hand, A for the right hand.

Indeed, it would be a very complex matter (if at all possible) to add support for changing skill left/right through xPadder alone. However, it would be a very simple modification to Lemmix itself to add a key for this.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
A number of console-based ports of Lemmings implemented skill selection by way of two buttons to move the skill selection left/right from where it is currently at.  It is obviously less efficient but probably easier to grasp/remember for novice users, although it is probably not a setup that Lemmix can currently support since I don't believe it has any keyboard support for "moving skill selection left/right".

Not just console versions; the Mac version also has this rather than F-keys. That's why I asked if this feature could be included in Lix, as I'm so much more used to controlling the game this way. In fact, even now that I've had to learn hotkeys in order to play multiplayer, I still don't feel entirely comfortable with them and never use them in singleplayer.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:15 PM »
I can see that being much better with a controller, though I would find it strange on a keyboard. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to the F keys shortcuts, though - I even find it awkward using shortcut keys in clones that use the number keys instead.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »

Not just console versions; the Mac version also has this rather than F-keys. That's why I asked if this feature could be included in Lix, as I'm so much more used to controlling the game this way. In fact, even now that I've had to learn hotkeys in order to play multiplayer, I still don't feel entirely comfortable with them and never use them in singleplayer.
The Amiga original also does this - you can use Z and X to move left and right through the skills.