Author Topic: Level Review--Lemmings Revolution  (Read 46649 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Level Review--Lemmings Revolution
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
review thread for Lemmings Revolution.
Why let the reviewing end! I picked Revolution because it’s a game I love and I can’t review L2 or any of the others. (I could review paintball but that appears to have bad beef here. Not a single thread of discussion about that game! :o I’ll have to fix that eventually.)
Go from 4-5 to 4-6 etc.
Rules follow the same as the other reviews. (Except don't count on me to strictly enforce them. I'm easy).

I’m starting out with level 4-4 because all the levels before that are tutorial levels. If anybody really wants to review those levels you can of course. I personally think they’re mostly boring (even for tutorial levels)
I don’t know where to get pictures other than from the game itself. You couldn’t see the whole level from that however.
Thanks to finlay for use of his spreadsheet for much of the level information.
I’d kind of like to talk about general things about the game itself as well when they come up so feel free to do that. There’s a lot of things that bother me. (Despite this being my favorite Lemmings game).

4-4 Seafood Sarnie

Lemmings: 25
Save: 20
RR: <50 [< means RR can only go down, > means it can only go up. If otherwise not mentioned the RR is totally changable]
time: 10 minutes

skills: 20 bombers 20 blockers 20 builders, 20 bashers

good:  A good beginner level with a crab. I like the crab, I don’t really know why.  :D

bad: the laser gate is right by the entrance making it pretty pointless. Unless (as I’m guessing) it was just more tutorial stuff to show off what it does. Kind of an odd skill set for a beginner level.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Level Review--Lemmings Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
I don’t know where to get pictures other than from the game itself. You couldn’t see the whole level from that however.

When I started playing the game last December, I did screenshots of each level before any lemmings come out.  I forgot exactly why but I think partly so it's possible to examine a level at times when I don't want to actually fire up the game (especially at that point before GP's patch, so it's unplayable on Win7).  To account for the cylindrical nature, I always captured 4 screenshots per level.

Of course, I stopped playing after the 8th column and haven't gotten a chance to go back into it yet, so even if I found a good place to post the screenshots to, it won't cover many of the later levels anyway.

I would review the next level, but I don't even have the screenshots with me at the moment, so I don't know what the next level is or what it looks like. :XD: Maybe later tonight.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »
When I started playing the game last December, I did screenshots of each level before any lemmings come out.  I forgot exactly why but I think partly so it's possible to examine a level at times when I don't want to actually fire up the game (especially at that point before GP's patch, so it's unplayable on Win7).  To account for the cylindrical nature, I always captured 4 screenshots per level.

Of course, I stopped playing after the 8th column and haven't gotten a chance to go back into it yet, so even if I found a good place to post the screenshots to, it won't cover many of the later levels anyway.

oh cool  :) That's nice. If you'd upload that I'd take it for my own reference as well. That would come in handy. You can put all the pics in or just one. I don't know which would be best, try and see. Maybe we could paste them together into one long horizontal pic. I looked online btw and didn't find much by the way of good quality pics.
Don't worry about after column 8, I can take pics of those if/when we ever get that far. I have a decent screen cap program now.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
Lemmings Revolution levels! I haven't reviewed any levels yet because I guess it may have affected a little that I'd have to run the game and look at the level so I can remember it, whereas levels from other Lemmings games are quickly and easily on display on the Internet or in Lemmix, but I won't let that thing bother me too much.

4-5 - A Long and Lonely Road

Lemmings: 30
Release rate: 10
Time: 10 minutes
Skills: 20 bombers, 20 blockers, 20 builders, 20 bashers

Good: A very straightforward practice level. The most exciting part is at the halfway, where you have various different possibilities to turn the crowd towards the higher platform. Water pools bring some diversity to the layout.

Bad: Maybe a little too long distance to go with too few different obstacles.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:35:08 PM »
hey Akseli, do you know about finlays+LemSteven’s spreadsheet? (I attached it to this post). It Lists all levels of almost every lemmings game and info on them. You can just use that for reference, (it’s what I’m doing. But I also sometimes play the level too, to refresh)
-----------------
4-6 Lems at Loggerheads

Lemmings: 10
Save: 5
Release rate: 5
Skills: 10 climbers, 2 floaters, 2 builders

Good: A good beginner level (I guess we’ll be saying that a lot.) Its generic comment but I can’t think of anything else. Thought, I do like having to make them all climbers, something that's not done often in the early levels of older lemmings games.

Bad: Kind of boring.

this level is very similar in layout to “Let’s play catch”

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:16:10 AM »
Yes, I know about the spreadsheet and I downloaded it last summer. :P For example, it gave me some help when I posted a list of builderless official levels in "No Builders" topic. Still, I have to play the game so I can recall the details of a level I'm going to review, and I can't even remember every Lemmings Revolution level from the title yet. Level stats can be easily gathered from the spreadsheet, though (but I'll also keep an eye on them in the game so that there aren't any mistakes!). :)

I find "Lems at Loggerheads" decent, basic puzzle for the beginners, and that's one of my favourite easy levels of this game. In my opinion there aren't many good puzzles for beginners in original games, for example in Fun and Tricky ratings, and ONML is tough already right from the Crazy rating.

5-1 - The Abyss

Lemmings: 15
Save: 10
Release rate: 5
Skills: 15 climbers, 15 floaters, 1 blocker, 15 builders

Good: A quite personal view now, but this level is nostalgic because I remember it from a demo version, too. I like the word "abyss" for some reason. The player needs to take care of lemmings falling from the heights.

Bad: Could be more decorated.

The Abyss has very similar layout compared to 11-4 - Lets get those fingers moving.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:02 AM »
^The Abyss. For some reason that level had me stumped when I was a kid. ??? no idea why since I had an easier time with much harder levels.

I find "Lems at Loggerheads" decent, basic puzzle for the beginners, and that's one of my favourite easy levels of this game. In my opinion there aren't many good puzzles for beginners in original games, for example in Fun and Tricky ratings, and ONML is tough already right from the Crazy rating.
yeah I agree. There were few good ones from the old games. Few like Lems at Loggerheads. Btw, do you know what the title means? or where it refers to?

5-2 Kriss Kross

Release rate: 15
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 40 blocker, 40 bombers

Good: it’s simple and fun. I like the “kriss kross” way the lemming must move about the level. There are also a number of different solutions. This level is fun to do challenge for. It is possible to complete three challenges at once!
[this title also reminds me of my childhood in school. I once had to dance to music that 'tells' you what to do' by singing "sliiiide to the right...sliiiide to the left...kriss kross!]

Bad: it's a little bare looking.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
Hey, I'm pleased that we've got a Revolution review topic to add to our giant collection of reviews. :)

5-3: Sergeant Bash

Number of Lemmings: 20
Release Rate: 15 (fixed)

Skills: 2 bombers, 2 builders, 10 bashers, 2 miners

Good: Fairly colourful design, introduces a new trap.
Bad: Even with the trap, there's no challenge whatsoever, unless you call timing the bashers to hit the wall a challenge, which isn't hard at all.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »
yay, somebody else to review. I too, as this is my favorite lemmings game. We must review entire lemming’s library! :P

[quick comment on Sergeant Bash; you can actually totally ignore the saw and only lose 1 lemming!]

5-4 The Crowded House

Lemmings: 10
Save: 5
Release Rate: 39 (fixed (I think))
Time: 10:00

Skills: 5 bombers, 5 blockers, 10 builders, 5 bashers, 10 diggers

Good: I like the symmetric style. It’s also an interesting layout, for an early level. It’s a short step up in difficulty.

Bad: I think the save requirement is a little low. But then the total # of lemmings are low as well. The RR being fixed seems useless here. Plus strange RR of 39? This starts a bizarre trend in this game. Maybe they wanted to annoy people with OCD?  ;P

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
yeah I agree. There were few good ones from the old games. Few like Lems at Loggerheads. Btw, do you know what the title means? or where it refers to?
I have no idea. :b

5-5 - One Way Ticket

Lemmings: 50
Save: 40
Release rate: 50, not changeable
Time: 8:00
Skills: 5 climbers, 5 floaters, 5 bombers, 5 blockers, 10 builders, 5 bashers, 1 miner, 2 diggers

Good: The layout resembles "4-5 - A Long and Lonely Road", but now here are more different obstacles and (almost) all different types of skills must be used. I think I find this level more interesting than a couple previous ones due to versatility.

Bad: Hmm I remember there was an acid pool which could be emptied by pulling the lever, but that's completely unnecessary. Or was that there to introduce beginners how the levers work? :P Then it's ok.

Btw are those ccexplore's pictures of levels yet available anywhere ???

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
Bad: Hmm I remember there was an acid pool which could be emptied by pulling the lever, but that's completely unnecessary. Or was that there to introduce beginners how the levers work? :P Then it's ok.

actually it’s not totally unnecessary—the acid pool cannot be crossed unless you build over it. You’re probably remembering that lemmings will walk “on air” over empty acid pools. This is a phenomenon throughout the entire game. It only happens with acid pools.

When an acid pool is drained, the lemmings don't fall into the drained pool, but will instead walk across the top.  The exception to this is if an acid lemming is walking on the acid while it is draining, in which case the lemming will go down with the acid. (LemSteven)
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=585.0

I forgot to mention; there’s a good walkthrough for this entire game on youtube. Which is a handy way to get info and pictures too :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A19J4krb9XQ&list=PL0750E99D04921FDE
(in priohiko’s video he builds over the acid pool… either he just doesn’t know about this or his game is different)
------------------------------

5-6 Swings Both Ways

Lemmings: 20
Save: 16
Release rate: 5 and 10, but changeable
Time: 10:00

Skills: 20 floaters, 10 bombers, 10 blockers, 10 builders, 10 bashers

Good: Despite appearing as a simple early level it can actually be a bit tougher than it seems at first. If you do it the easy way (with blockers) you save only the minimum. I like using two different kinds of lemmings to make contrast.

Bad: this level annoyed me a little when I was a kid. It’s the first one where you need to get some timing right. Also doing challenges for this level is possible but can be frustrating.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »
actually it’s not totally unnecessary—the acid pool cannot be crossed unless you build over it. You’re probably remembering that lemmings will walk “on air” over empty acid pools. This is a phenomenon throughout the entire game. It only happens with acid pools.
Haha, of course. :D I remember this, but I guess that I really haven't ever thought this in this kind of easy level, so I built over the pool!

Thanks for the link, I might find this useful when reviewing levels.

5-7 - Wandering Free

Lemmings: 20
Release rate: 50, not changeable
Skills: 5 of each

Good: The most exciting part of this level is at the beginning where the player has to dig down to avoid lemming knocking his head to the ceiling.

Bad: Apart from what I just mentioned, this level actually doesn't offer anything compared to what we already have had earlier. I might find this one of the least notable levels in this game.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:07:29 PM »
6-1 The Iron Curtain

RR: 10

skills: 1 climber, 1 floater, 5 bombers, 5 blockers, 5 builders, 5 bashers, 2 miners, 2 diggers

good: introduces the retractable wall. A number of different possible routes and not real demanding. It’s also fun to dig down and let the water lemmings fall from very high.

bad: You don’t actually need to use the retractable wall at all if you use the right path, making it not really the best introduction level. (That’s the path I used when I first played) An odd skill set for an early level, kind of sparse.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »
This must be the level that nobody wanted to review, so I'll give this one a go.

6-2: Make Mine a Large One

Save: 25
Time: 5:00
Skills: 5 climbers, 10 floaters, 5 bombers, 2 blockers, 2 builders, 5 bashers, 5 miners, 5 diggers

Good: At least there are a few steel blocks in the way.
Bad: Even with them, it's still too easy for its position, and not a particularly enjoyable level either, even though there's not much repetition involved, and also, I could easily make this off the Lemmings level editor, as there are no unique elements (switches, acid, etc.) in this bland level.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 11:15:12 PM »
I don't think this thread is active anymore, but I'll still give it a go.
- - - - - - - - - -

6-3: Now You’re Stalking

Lemmings: 50
Save: 49
Time: 6:00
Release Rate: 5
Skills:
- Climber: 1
- Floater: 1
- Bomber: 10
- Blocker: 1
- Builder: 6
- Basher: 10
- Miner: 0
- Digger: 2

Good: Good puzzle level, especially for a beginner where it’s not obvious what has to be done at first.
Bad: Sometimes placing the blocker is a bit tricky as two or three lemmings would be bunched up close together after the digging.