Author Topic: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?  (Read 55292 times)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
Re: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2011, 05:05:47 AM »
This one took me all evening to figure out and execute correctly, but I have verified 2 builders for Mayhem 17.  This one warrants a detailed explanation because of the extreme pixel-precision required in a number of places.

Quote from: Spoiler
The first lemming mines, and the second lemming blocks such that he is freed by the miner's 6th stroke.  The freed blocker turns around, digs to stop the miner, and then bashes immediately.  If done correctly, both the basher and miner should stop.

The next step is to set up the Tame 20 glitch at the left wall.  One lemming blocks such that another lemming gets pushed in the wall.  The blocker must be placed as far to the right as possible, because he must be freed using just a digger and a basher, and the basher must stop after his first stroke.  Once the blocker is freed, the lemming stuck in the wall climbs (the skill must be assigned while the lemming is facing right, otherwise the Tame 20 glitch won't work properly).

As soon as the climber is above the bottom of the ceiling, he mines left and then digs after taking one stroke.  When the right side of the digger's hole is six pixels high, make him bash.  He takes one swipe and then digs again two pixels to the left of the previous digger.  This digger goes down six pixels and then bashes again.  Now dig one more time, such that the digger just barely takes out the left edge of the wall.

The last digger keeps going until he is twelve pixels above the floor that the crowd is walking on, at which point he builds.  This builder runs into the pillar on the left and mines the instant he turns around.  The miner goes back down the bridge and through the wall, emerging just low enough such that the crowd can just barely step up into his tunnel.  The other builder is used at the very top of the first bridge; this one should use all twelve bricks.

The second bridge ends up one pixel too low for the crowd to continue their way up the steps, but fortunately the climber can get up there and mine from the bottom step, lowering the edge by a pixel and allowing the crowd to step up.  The rest is easy -- just bash through the ceiling and mine to the exit.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
Great job finding that LemSteven :thumbsup:

For anyone who has Lemmix, here's a replay based on the above description.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Great job to both of you, finding out the 2-builder solution and executing it. :thumbsup:

I have done some Flurry levels, except for 7, 10 and 12. I have confirmed that levels 1-6, 9 and 11 are none, and that 16 can be done with 4 builders. Had no luck without using all three bashers though. If anyone wants to see the no basher level 9 solution or the 4-builder level 16 solution please let me know, as I have replays for those in my folder.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
I got 1 floater, 16 builders for Taxing 16 100%.  I need at least 5 builders to contain the crowd, 1 to release them at the end, 4 for the first drop, and 6 for the second drop.  While in other setups you could do just 3 for the first drop (if the crowd-trapping structure reaches far enough to the right to save you one builder that way), it's just out of reach for my 5-builder crowd containment setup.

I've attached the 16-builder solution which uses more than 1 floater, and separately, the start (as the rest is trivial) of the 1 floater solution using the RR89 builder-stacking method.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
I have done some Flurry levels, except for 7, 10 and 12. I have confirmed that levels 1-6, 9 and 11 are none, and that 16 can be done with 4 builders. Had no luck without using all three bashers though. If anyone wants to see the no basher level 9 solution or the 4-builder level 16 solution please let me know, as I have replays for those in my folder.

I just had a go at Flurry 16, and improved it to 3 builders, 2 bashers. Both take a lot of retries and adjustment to get right :XD: (thankfully Lemmix makes this much less painful :))

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
Note that the 1-builder solution in the skills you can't live without thread doesn't work here because you can't save everyone with the sliding glitch.  It is possible to send up one lemming with the sliding glitch and have him mine down to help the others, but that also ends up using quite a few builders, so I'm not sure it will help improve the result any.

Turns out it does, but just barely.  So down to 9 builders now for Taxing 4.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2011, 05:54:56 AM »
Mayhem 1 only requires one floater because the initial fall can be made survivable by having the first lemming build as soon as he hits the floor.  The digger is also avoidable without much trouble.  I've got builders down to 24, so the result is 1 floater + 24 builders.

Mayhem 8 has Builders+Diggers for 100% in the fewest different skills thread.  Due to the lack of bashers, I'm not finding a way to deal with the crowd without using at least one builder, plus three more are needed to reach the OWW.  It also looks like one digger is needed at the OWW, so the result is 4 builders and 1 digger.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2011, 08:33:10 AM »
Good work, but both can be improved by one builder:

Mayhem 1 can be done with 23 builders (+ 1 floater). I've included a screenshot to show where all the builders are placed, as well as a replay.

I've also improved Mayhem 8 to 3 builders (+ 1 digger), by taking advantage of some walker physics. In the attached screenshot, there's no terrain at the digger's position, so if you turn it into a blocker, it becomes a walker. Then, thanks to the quirky walker physics, it advances forwards instead of falling through the hole. Getting to this position in the first place isn't trivial, but hopefully the screenshot gives you enough of a clue.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
Tricky 14 100% improved to 5 builders.

----------

I have no luck so far coming up with any other way to handle Taxing 28 lose 10 besides the originally reported solution, so looks like the result for that level is 1 climber, 1 floater, 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 8 builders, 3 bashers, 1 miner.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »
I've finally managed Mayhem 2 100% with only builders (attached).  The minimum number of builders should be the same solution, except for using a climber at the end for the stuck lemming instead (assign so that he first climbs facing right).  Therefore the final result is 17 builders.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »
Here's a rather basic attempt at Mayhem 14, using 16 builders. I can't see any sort of 'underwater' solution working for 100%, since there are no climbers (needed to save lemmings left behind after sliding), only 10 blockers for steel-cancelling, and of course bombers aren't allowed.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2011, 07:33:11 AM »
Anyway, back on topic. I solved Mayhem 18 100% using only 15 builders. If there are any improvements please let me know.

Due to the blocker cancelling steel glitch, the blocker on the top left doesn't have to be placed on a bridge, which saves a builder.  This brings the total for Mayhem 18 down to 14 builders.

If minimac already took advantage of this, then I'm not sure where he used an extra builder.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2011, 03:23:20 AM »
Mayhem 7 100% current result can be reduced by 1 for each of the four skill types, resulting in 5 builders, 3 bashers, 3 diggers.

(attached solutions that need the climber.  See here and here for climberless solutions)

[edit: decide to post a climberless solution anyway, since a different one exists, unlike the ones linked to that use direct drop (however impressive those are)]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
I've finally managed Mayhem 2 100% with only builders (attached).  The minimum number of builders should be the same solution, except for using a climber at the end

Found further refinements for minimum builders, so down to 15 builders now for that level.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:11 PM »
Some more Mayhem improvements:

Mayhem 9: Builders are reduced to 7, and bashers are currently down to 4.  The result is therefore down to 7 builders, 4 bashers, and 1 digger, although I wouldn't yet rule out further improvements.

Mayhem 19: I got this down to 7 builders and 3 bombers, the same as in the skills you can't live without thread.

Mayhem 23: I was able to eliminate a builder at the start, so it's down to 12 builders and 1 basher.

Mayhem 25: A builders-only 100% solution exists, and a 7-builder 100% solution exists, so the result is 7 builders.