Author Topic: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?  (Read 55291 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 03:54:04 AM »
Nope, they are all done with the original DOS version mechanics. For Taxing 6, there is a way to reduce the distance of the fall on the right so the lemmings can survive.

We really ought to have an organised database of challenge replays, especially for things like max % and least skills :-\

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »
@DoubleU: you may find the following helpful

setting up Lemmix
Glitches in Lemmings
Non-glitch tricks

The latter two threads should contain most if not all of the tricks and moves that are used to push the save % to what you see in the table.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 11:04:18 PM »
Nope, they are all done with the original DOS version mechanics. For Taxing 6, there is a way to reduce the distance of the fall on the right so the lemmings can survive.

We really ought to have an organised database of challenge replays, especially for things like max % and least skills :-\
I'd quite like to see taxing 6 too, because while i know about the trick to bash through the top of the steel, I can't think of how not to have the lemmings falling off the left edge of the block that they start on...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »
Interesting, I guess there wasn't really a replay posted anywhere because LemSteven first did that one and he doesn't use Lemmix.  Well, here goes.

[edit: added a slightly more efficient replay than the one I posted earlier, same idea]

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 02:11:33 AM »
And here's the Taxing 6 result for this challenge: 1 digger + 3 bashers

Also, I've removed a basher from Taxing 5 by using diggers in one of the places you would normally bash.  It turns out three diggers is just enough to break through the bars.  The hard part is not running out of builders in the process.  Anyway, this brings Taxing 5 down to 6 builders + 1 Basher.

I believe Taxing 7 comes down to 1 climber + 1 bomber + 5 builders + 1 basher.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:59 AM »
6 builders?

also, you'll have to explain that taxing 7 one to me – how can you get rid of the blocker, and why do you then have to use a bomber? (edit; actually, wait, figured it out. but still don't get how you get rid of a builder in that case...)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 07:47:06 AM »
It isn't too hard once you know your glitches. ;)

Quote from: spoiler
A bomber is set just before the top of the hill. If the timing is right a crater should be made and some steel should blow up without him actually landing on it. The lemmings can be freed by bashing into the crater. That way he'll continuously bash through the steel and underneath the one-way obstacle.

Looks like that method will save your builder.

Anyway, thanks for the help on Taxing 6. I also can't do 100% on Mayhem 2. There are no Terrain-removing skills other than bombers. The only thing you could do to get through the flamer trap was to climb up the steel.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
Mayhem 2 was a relatively recent addition, if I remember correctly, and possibly involved the long-slider bug.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 02:44:21 AM »
6 builders?

I really should let LemSteven explain his own results, but since he doesn't do Lemmix, I guess I'm justified to put up a Lemmix replay anyway. ;)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 04:03:41 AM »
^ Actually, the 6-builder result wasn't mine -- Minimac already had 6 Builders + 2 Bashers on the list before I made that post.  The only thing I did was reduce the bashers to one.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 12:22:21 PM »
I see.  Well, here's reducing it to 5 builders, no glitches.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2011, 05:57:23 AM »
Taxing 12 is improved to 2 builders using the ceiling route.  The Tame 20 glitch is used to get a lemming up there, and he can later dig a tunnel for the others to climb up.

As for Taxing 13, I'm going to go ahead and suggest 1 climber, 1 builder, 2 bashers, and 3 miners as a starting point.  There may still be room for improvement, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »
As for Taxing 13, I'm going to go ahead and suggest 1 climber, 1 builder, 2 bashers, and 3 miners as a starting point.  There may still be room for improvement, but so far I haven't had any luck.
Okay, let's start by getting rid of the climber as previously demonstrated.

[edit: miners down to 2]

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
Havoc 10: how do you save 17?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
It uses the miner positioning glitch such that the crowd can be trapped and released.  I'm pretty sure the replay had been posted here.  You should bookmark that page.

Sidenote: this is one of few results I've actually verified on Mac Lemmings.  Although on the Mac, if I recall, some subtle differences with the terrain removal mask for miner means the 17/21 solution needs to be modified slightly to work.

[edit: on that note, minimac, please use the replay to start off the results here for Havoc 10, since you brought that up on the OP.  It well may be the final result for that level.]