Author Topic: What if you could only assign skills to lemmings facing in one direction?  (Read 31147 times)

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
Re: What if you could only assign skills to lemmings facing in one direction?
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »
Oh, did you put the covox levelpack in your CustLemm folder? I have them in a separate folder, containing just the files that were in savelem.zip (plus my replays of course). I'm able to open them in Original, ONML and Custlemm modes, and maybe even others too.
I have them in a separate folder. I can open them in ONML, but they don't display properly in Original or Custlemm. It might just be that I copied savelemm\  (not savelem\... weird) from one of my old PCs, so I'll try downloading it.

edit: that doesn't work either -- tried putting replays in the savelem\ folder and that didn't work. The level file is LEVEL000.DAT, right?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
Hang on a sec...

When I set it to Original Lemmings, the levels don't render properly -- they use the original tilesets instead of the ONML tilesets.

If they use the original tilesets instead of ONML, that could mean you have the wrong graphics files in your savelem folder. Try copying over the GroundXo and VgagrX files from ONML (numbered 0-3, not 5-8 as they are in CustLemm - overwrite the original graphics files, since they shouldn't be there anyway). If that doesn't work, then I pretty much give up, since I have no idea how Lemmix works :(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
If someone can point me to where to get the relevant files for the levels in question, I may be able to help sort out this mess for Nortaneous.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »
It's available at Lemmings Universe, under "demos and freeware games".

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »
Huh, I'm actually quite confused now how Clam managed to play the levels in Original Lemmings mode and be able to open the levelset in Original, ONML and CustLemm. ???

The way it is supposed to work is that in the LemmixStyles.ini file where you define the various styles, for each style you explicitly point it to a directory on where the files are located for that specific style, plus there are also subentries in the INI file where you explicitly map a graphics set to the corresponding GroundXo/VgagrX files (and potentially vgaspecX files).  Thus by default it wouldn't be using any of the graphics files from the savelem folder unless you defined a style to do so.

Anyway, based on this description, here's a quick hacky remedy:

1) Make a copy of Lemmix.exe, LemmixStyles.ini and Lemmix.ini, and put them in your "savelem" folder.
2) edit the copy of LemmixStyles.ini:  find the section (like the first one) that looks something like this:

Code: [Select]
[style_0]
StyleClass=TDosOrigStyle
CommonPath=c:\lemmings\
MainDataFile=main.dat
OddTableFile=ODDTABLE.DAT
StyleDescription=Dos Original Lemmings
StyleName=DosOrig

And change the CommonPath to point to the path where you have your savelem folder (eg. c:\savelem\)  Optionally change the StyleName and StyleDescription to whatever.  [edit: do NOT change StyleName, leave it as DosOrig or whatever it was!] Save changes.

3) Now open Lemmix with the copy of Lemmix.exe in your savelem folder, open the levelset, and switch to "Original Lemmings" mode [edit: or whatever you renamed it to; likely the editor will auto-select the right style and you won't even need to change that].  Clam's replay should work now.  Note that we've effectively change the "Original Lemmings" style for this particular copy of Lemmix to point to the Covox Lemmings files, so you won't be able to use this style for example for levels/levelsets that actually call for the true "Original Lemmings" style.  For those, go back to your usual everyday copy of Lemmix.exe with the unaltered style information for Original Lemmings.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
There is still one more problem with my quick fix.  For the vgaspec level ("The COVOX level"), it is using the exit from wrong graphics set I think.  I know how to fix that but I don't know which graphics set the correct exit comes from.  Clam, do you know?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
It's supposed to use the bubble tileset (the one with the gold pipes) for the exit. You can verify this by playing the levels in DOSBox. I don't know why it uses a different exit in Lemmix though :-\

Huh, I'm actually quite confused now how Clam managed to play the levels in Original Lemmings mode and be able to open the levelset in Original, ONML and CustLemm. ???

I'm as confused about this as you are. The special graphics level only works for me in Original mode though - in other modes I get an error saying "TDosOhNoStyle.FindExtGraphicSet 1 not found." (replace DosOhNo with other style as appropriate). That's why I used Original mode for my replays. I can even play some levels in Holiday Lemmings style... ???

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:05 AM »
I don't know why it uses a different exit in Lemmix though :-\

Yeah, Lemmix for some weird reason seems to use the style data to find the matching graphics set, instead of sticking with what the level data actually specifies.

Anyway, with that info, here's how to fix the problem.  First start by exiting Lemmix if it is already running.  Then edit the savelem copy of LemmixStyles.ini by looking for the following section:

Code: [Select]
[DosOrig_5]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=4283486448
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC0.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=1
GraphicSetName=Spec0
MetaInfoFile=GROUND0O.DAT

(It might or might not be [DosOrig_5], the important thing is the presence of VGASPEC0.DAT in the section's data.)

Then change it as highlighted:

[DosOrig_5]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=4283486448
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC0.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR3.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=3
GraphicSetIdExt=1
GraphicSetName=Spec0
MetaInfoFile=GROUND3O.DAT

Re-launch Lemmix and you should now be able to get the right exit in the Covox vgaspec level.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
Nobody's done Holiday Lemmings yet, so I'll start off with the beginning of Frost:

Right: Levels 1-5, 7-8, 10-11, 14-15.
Left: Levels 3-4, 8-9.

And for Hail:
Right: 2-4, 8-10, 12-13, 16.

Although technically I have done Hail 10, I realise this is a three entrancer, and I solved the level using the ABCA order, which I know is the wrong order.
Solved! Using the original ABCB order (via adding another entrance in the middle) I came up with a solution.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Seems no one wants to do the easy levels, so here's Flurry:

Left: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12. (All 100%)
Right: All except 10. 16 is non-100% and requires glitches, all others 100% and no glitches.

Replays attached for 9L and 16R.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Nobody's done Holiday Lemmings yet, so I'll start off with the beginning of Frost:

Right: Levels 1-5, 7-8, 10-11, 14-15.
Left: Levels 3-4, 8-9.

I can add 1L and 5L (replays attached), and also 13R (make the first lemming build to turn around, and then trigger the nuke glitch).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Speaking of nuke, Hail 6 is the nuke level where no skills need to be assigned at all to solve the level, so I guess we can say it's possible left and right, non-100%, no glitches.

[edit: oh, and Wicked 1 Left still hasn't been included in the table on first post of thread.]

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Oh, right, Wicked 1.

Here's Wicked 1 Left, non-100% of course (in fact it saves just the minimum of 80%).  A little ambiguous whether it counts as "glitch" or not.  Technically some pixels were taken out that are covered in steel areas, but for the most part the solution doesn't really explicitly depends on those pixels being taken out I think.

So far, I've been counting any necessary removal of steel-covered terrain as a glitch. In this case, the gap between steel areas seems to be too narrow to use a bomber without taking out at least a little steel, so you can't avoid removing steel in solving the level by your method. However, I'm not sure whether this really counts as a "glitch", since the term generally refers to unexpected behaviour, and I'd imagine most players would expect a bomber to make a hole in the terrain when it explodes in that position.

So, in the end... I dunno. :-\

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I really don't care one way or the other, so don't let it keep you from updating your post. ;P

Perhaps you can put an asterisk next to the level number and then have a footnote somewhere below, with a link to your post above, like this:

*glitch/noglitch arguable, see here for details.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
Seems I abandoned this challenge when we were nearly done :-\

And for Hail:
Right: 2-4, 8-10, 12-13, 16.

I just looked through my notes, and it turns out I actually did a proper run through Hail (and even saved some replays), and then didn't post my results. So here they are:

L: 2, 6, 11. Non-100%: 2, 6.
R: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. Non-100%: 2, 5, 6.

Replays attached for 5R, 11L, 14R.