Author Topic: Anyone up for some new challenges?  (Read 4984 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Anyone up for some new challenges?
« on: October 15, 2010, 03:50:11 AM »
Study has finally quietened down a bit, so at last I have some free time to do some Lemmings stuff besides a few posts here and there (plus the occasional game of Civ 4, which has got me hooked again :-[). So I wonder if anyone here would be interested in some new challenges. I have a couple of ideas - some extensions of challenges we've done before, and some new concepts too. Plus there are some unfinished challenges too...

Anyone ???

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Anyone up for some new challenges?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:09:40 AM »
Don't forget I am still here :) (Despite taking a massive break during early 2010). I have my Lemmini program up and running. (I've been using Lemmini a lot longer than Lemmix, despite the fact I still use that editor).

I have a few things I've been working on. Most importantly, I've been working on simplifying those Oh No more lemmings levels, also renaming them most of them having references to Ed, Edd n Eddy episodes too. :D I'll bring out a level pack of those levels sometime today.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »
I'm somewhat hooked at rt's "Clones" game (the private beta version) at the moment, but hey, you don't have to ask us for permission to start new challenges. :P I might take a more passive role though and just enjoy the replays. ;P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »
Clones, huh... I tried the demo, and it didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm not asking for permission, I'm just checking if anyone's around. The last thing I'd want is to start a challenge and end up having to do the whole thing myself :(

Consider it a wake-up call for the forum ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Clones, huh... I tried the demo, and it didn't appeal to me for whatever reason.

I actually never tried the demo version.  It's different from Lemmings, I'd say.  I do think (at least with the full version beta) the puzzles are more challenging than Lemmings and ONML, although in some cases not necessarily in good ways (a few puzzles just seem to be too much work to execute through, in the tedious sense).  I think one of its appeals to me compare with Lemmings is that the game supports a richer variety of level objectives--even in singleplayer levels, you can have levels with win criteria other than getting to the exit.  Also a good touch is the ample use of annotations and other verbal mechanisms that helps make playing a level a more engaging experience.  Of course the graphics and music are much nicer, as are the capabilities supported by the level editor (maybe too much, as I find it an immense challenge to create decent levels in it compared with LemEdit/L2; but then again, the official levels in that game kinda set a high bar in terms of visuals).

But evaluating the singleplayer levels is kinda besides the point for that game.  When you tried the demo version did you try multiplayer levels?  I personally have not done any multiplayer sessions yet on Clones but I think it is what the game creators' are most interested in in terms of feedback.

The last thing I'd want is to start a challenge and end up having to do the whole thing myself :(

Hmm.  Huh, too bad, I was kinda counting you'd go that route. ;P  You should start anyway, maybe with luck you'll get other people to pick up on it after posting a few initial results.  If not, you can always leave it half-finished just like many of the other challenges on this board. :-\ :P

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
I'm here too, I just don't have much to say very often.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:23:31 AM »
a few puzzles just seem to be too much work to execute through, in the tedious sense

That was the impression I got from the few levels I played, and the screenshots and other info around the place. I guess I'm just lazy, but I can't stand long levels.

When you tried the demo version did you try multiplayer levels?

Nope. At the time I was tired of multiplayer (and Lemmings in general) after a few too many long sessions of L++. MP was good fun for a while, but I don't really think it's my sort of thing.

Anyway, there seems to be some interest, so on with the challenges! 8)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »
I lurk here all the time, also in the current challenge thread. It's always amazing to see what new ideas you folks develop for the old levels.

Most of my Lemmings-related activity is redrawing the character for Lix/L++, and annoying the Clones programmers with bug reports and usability suggestions.

-- Simon