Author Topic: Level designing question...  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Level designing question...
« on: September 22, 2009, 04:38:36 AM »
You know how I want to make a game?  I've read on the old forums some people edited levels with a hex editor as opposed to LemEdit or Lemmix; would that be good practice?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Level designing question...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 04:54:00 AM »
I wouldn't reccomend it for anything beyond stat changes... you're more than welcome to try though.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:52:27 AM »
Can you post a link to this discussion? I can't imagine any reason for using a hex-editor to make levels when there's a decent alternative...

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 05:54:02 AM »
The only hex editing I have ever done is making Cheapo levels with >99 skillsets, >99 release rate, or >200 lemmings.

I have never used a hex editor to make actual, normal Lemmings levels.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:07:28 AM »
I have. My DOS levelpack on Lemming Crazy was made entirely in a hex editor, using LemEdit only to compress it into a DAT later on. (Basically, at the time, I had the Windows version of lemmings with me on a laptop, but no level editor, but I did have a hex editor handy).

While not overly complicated, it's far from an ideal way to make levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »
I made a series of levels using ResEdit, but because of the limitations of this method I could only change the stats and skill availability of the standard levels. (I still made quite a few interesting ones that way, I have to say.) But why limit yourself this way when you don't have to?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »
It's completely possible to edit the terrain, or even create levels from scratch, with a hex editor. Don't expect an easy task, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
Is there a download for the hex editor by any chance?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »
Like I said, it would be for practice on making a game if I did.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:03:08 AM »
Okay, I still don't have this question answered...  would it be good practice for making my own game to edit Lemmings levels with a hex editor?  Hope it's clear that this would be so I can get an idea of what it'll be like to make terrain and stuff without having a GUI handy.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »
would it be good practice for making my own game to edit Lemmings levels with a hex editor?

Nope.  Hex editing may be of some utility for hacking, but it has close to no place when you're making your own game:

1) If you actually get to the point where you can handle programming the game's graphics and so forth, it wouldn't be that much harder to write your own level editor for your own game.  Note for example that the people who wrote Lemmings also wrote their own editor to create the levels.

2) Even if you for some reason don't want to bother writing your own level editor, there's no reason the file format of the levels for your own game has to be binary.  You could just as easily program a text file format for levels, then you could edit the level with a normal text editor rather than a hex editor.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »
Ironically, about when I posted that, I thought of writing a map editor.  :P