Author Topic: Custom Level Review Game  (Read 76962 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Custom Level Review Game
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
NO ONE likes timed bombers.

Eh, as long as it's not overused it's not that horrible, stop projecting your own likes and dislikes onto other people. ;P

I haven't tried the level or even looked at your solution, but given the availability of some blockers and some climbers, as well as what seems like a relative abundance of builders (and relatively generous looking save %), I don't really think you need to timed the bombers with much precision (for example, the slow speed of climbers, together with some spare builders, should greatly ease the precision needed on bombing through a thin wall for example).

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »
joe04 - Level 2 - A Beautiful View

Lemmings:  75
To save:  65 (86%)
Release Rate:  70
Time:  2 minutes
Skills:
  • 1 Bomber
  • 1 Blocker
  • 3 Builders
  • 1 Basher
  • 1 Miner

Good: Neat looking level design. It's easy looking at first glance but it's really not all that simple. You don't get very many skills but you can do it with fewer than what is given (or even try for 100%, I never pulled it off but it might be an interesting challenge).

Bad: Hidden traps. I know it's personal preference, but at least leave a little mark which suggests there might be a trap. I hate planning a solution, then running it and oh trap at the end.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »
NO ONE likes timed bombers.

Eh, as long as it's not overused it's not that horrible, stop projecting your own likes and dislikes onto other people. ;P

I haven't tried the level or even looked at your solution, but given the availability of some blockers and some climbers, as well as what seems like a relative abundance of builders (and relatively generous looking save %), I don't really think you need to timed the bombers with much precision (for example, the slow speed of climbers, together with some spare builders, should greatly ease the precision needed on bombing through a thin wall for example).

Actually, timed bombers are generally not entertaining from what I can tell from review threads, although sometimes it is done right; Diet Lemmingaid is a good example of this.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2009, 02:45:25 AM »
And that level is about as simple as bomber timing gets. I used to think Lemmix made this sort of thing bearable, but really it's still annoying. But before I drag this too far off topic...

joe04 - Level 3 - Mission Lempossible

Lemmings: 50
Save: 35 (70%)
RR: 1
Time: 5 minutes
Skills:
- 5 climbers
- 4 floaters
- 7 bombers
- 4 blockers
- 20 builders
- 8 bashers
- 2 miners
- 7 diggers

Good: Simple design. Level looks impossible (and the title fits), which makes solving it a little more fun. The skillset is generous, but not too much so.
Bad: Check your trigger areas - there's a gap you can bash through. The chains look out of place - maybe you could improve this by either adding more chains or placing terrain along the top of the level.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2009, 03:17:46 AM »
joe04 - Level 4 - Artwork gone wrong

Lemmings: 80
Save: 69 (86%)
RR: 81
Time: 3 minutes
Skills:
- 4 climbers
- 2 floaters
- 5 blockers
- 20 builders
- 2 bashers
- 6 miners

Good: Another level with a neat design -- everything appears upside down but the level plays normally. Also, it's not hard to save 100%.
Bad: It's really just a block/build/remove blocker level; the answer is rather straightforward. A reduction in skills or forcing 100% saved would make the level a better puzzle.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2009, 01:20:10 AM »
I'd review the next level, but I don't want to do another Mission Lempossible.  The first was bad enough.  I shall wait to do Boom Boom Pow.

Save me Level 7 (I'll actually do this one, unlike the last one I said I'd do but never got to.)

But because of the horrible backroute I found (which is why I feel the need to review it, I will upload the replay now.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2009, 08:54:55 PM »
Meh, don't feel like waiting forever for someone to review the next level.

Level 5:  Mission Lempossible II

RR:  1
Lemmings:  50
Rescue:  42 (84%)
Time Limit:  5
Skills:
 - 5 Climbers
 - 0 Floaters
 - 4 bombers
 - 2 Blockers
 - 18 builders
 - 6 bashers
 - 2 miners
 - 7 diggers

Good:  Intended solution is a little hard to work out.  If not very hard (I never actually figured it out).
Okay:  Lacks decorative terrain.
Bad:  Suffers from the same backroute that is present in the first Mission Lempossible (that's how I solved this one).

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »
joe04 - Level 6 - Boom Boom Pow

Lemmings: 50
Save: 35 (70%)
RR: 10
Skills: 10 climbers, 10 bombers

Good: The bomber timing isn't too demanding. Would work well for a "one minute" challenge. Simple, clean design.

Bad: Could do with some additional complexity. The path to the exit is a little too simple. Would probably look nicer with smaller steel blocks instead of big ones.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
joe04 - Level 7 - Time to get wet!

Good:  Nice idea.  It appears that the intended solution requires some thinking...
Bad:  I found a horrible backroute.
Quote from: My solution; highlight to read
  Make the first lemming a blocker right when he hits the ground.  Make the next lemming a blocker right next to the right waterfall, and then blow him up.  Build up a little (but not much) and bash through the wall.
I have uploaded a fixed version for you that should eliminate this.  By the way, when checking in Lemmix the exit on the left...  has no trigger area.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2009, 06:44:50 AM »
Joe04 Level 8 - Amnesia

Save 50 of 50 (100%)
Release Rate 15
5 minutes
10 of all skills

Good: For a "hidden exit" level, it's more creative than most. I like the 100% requirement and the lower builder counts; they make you think about task assignment -- and also lend an interesting challenge -- beat the level blind on the first try.

Bad: This is more commentary about earlier levels, but that 100% requirement in this level should have been used in other levels (4 comes to mind) to make them harder. Also, for a level like this, more decorative terrain may have been good.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2009, 06:16:11 PM »
joe04 - Level 9 - Eater of Luck

Release Rate:  50
Lemmings:  65
Save:  60 (92%)
Time limit:  2
Skills:
     5 climbers
     3 builders
     3 miners

Good:  I can't think of anything unless it's supposed to be easy.
Okay:  Could be shortened to less walking without effecting the solution at all.
Bad:  It can be beaten with only one builder, saving 100%, and there's no way it could be a backroute.

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:13 PM »
Thanks Dullstar for finding a backroute. I will investigate it later. Level 9 was supposed to be tricky. The Lemmings are to be getting eaten by the lizard sometime after they leave the trapdoor.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2009, 06:35:45 PM »
No one's done this to specify stats so far, but it IS faster.

For you it is, but not for the ones reading the topic.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »
Thanks Dullstar for finding a backroute. I will investigate it later. Level 9 was supposed to be tricky. The Lemmings are to be getting eaten by the lizard sometime after they leave the trapdoor.

Backroute???  Check your trigger areas, man, it has to do with the lizard's location.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »
No one's done this to specify stats so far, but it IS faster.

For you it is, but not for the ones reading the topic.

Sent a PM to Dullstar about the stat problems.

OK, I'll try reviewing the next level.

joe04 - Level 10 - The Blue Frame of illusion

Lemmings: 55
72% to be saved (40)
Release rate: 30

Climbers: 10
Builders: 16

Good: Another "race against the timer" level. Not such a bad design to go with the title then.
Bad: Could have used more scenery, especially the charge trap at the start: It looks a little messy; The one way arrow is no use at all because there are no bashers or miners. Forces you to lose a number of sweet critters to the traps :(, level works without any climbers.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3