Author Topic: New Styles - Lemmings Faithful  (Read 342 times)

Offline 92Dexter11

• View Profile
New Styles - Lemmings Faithful
« on: May 04, 2024, 12:45:18 PM »
Hey everyone!
I'm so excited to announce my latest style pack, 'Lemmings Faithful'!

As its name suggests, the gimmick behind these five new styles is that they are trying to be as faithful as possible to the original and ohno styles. This basically means that these styles have a very strict and rigid colour palette, following the same rules as the classic styles as closely as possible, whilst still being visually and thematically distinct.
To clarify, all of these styles:
-Have terrain pieces which use a shared palette of 8 colours maximum.
-Have objects which use those 8 colours, as well as the 'fixed' default colours, much like the classical styles.
-Each RGB colour value used is divisible by 16, resulting in a much more limited selection of possible colours.

(Namida elaborates on this much more in this thread: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6686.new;topicseen#new)

The new styles are:

Autumn - Heavily inspired by the 'orig_dirt' style, as well as 'ohno_rock', this is a naturalistic style - a garden during autumn, or a field ready for harvest - with bright golden foliage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Circuit - A technological style, similar to 'ohno_brick' and 'ohno_bubble', this one features a lot of green motherboards, wires and batteries.

Mosaic - This one is inspired by 'orig_dirt' and 'orig_pillar' - the ancient ruins of a lost civilisation, with a heavy emphasis on water and blue tiles.

Palace - This borrows elements from 'orig_pillar' and 'orig_marble', although it has a much different colour palette! It's rich and palacial, with white marble and gilded mahogany.

Rust - This one's the most similar to 'orig_crystal', in that its palette is all mainly one colour, allowing for more detailed shading. It also has pieces similar to 'ohno_bubble'. It's not quite a junkyard, not quite a sewer and not quite a shantytown!

Link to the style pack:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wvmofsd4gxadroiulp47y/styles-LemmingsFaithfulV2.zip?rlkey=xjja6jvxcow25u8diovybb97b&st=4v04m5uz&dl=1

I've had a bunch of ups and downs when making these styles - at one point I had to completely remake each colour palette from scratch after I mistakenly used too many colours. That was a huge upset, but it definitely taught a lot about reducing a colour palette. Overall, this was a really fun challenge, and I'm really proud of how they all turned out - I feel as though these styles are my best work. I've had a blast making these, and I hope you enjoy using them too!

Be sure to also check out the accompanying level pack, meant to show off each style. The levels are quite easy, but have some very difficult talismans for more experienced players who want a challenge!

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6714.0

Let me know what you think!

HASTY EDIT! - Very sorry, the old version had a massive file size. I've reuploaded version 2 which is much much smaller in file size, but is otherwise the same. If you've already downloaded the old version, simply download the new version and replace the styles. Again, sorry for the inconvenience! :forehead:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 06:04:18 PM by 92Dexter11 »

Online Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
Re: New Styles - Lemmings Faithful
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 12:54:53 PM »
These styles are all truly amazing! I love the art and the way that it all fits together. Beautiful work, I must say! I'm envious of this but yet proud of you! haha :)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 02:34:30 PM »
These look really nice for sure, and are easy to read as well. Great job

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 03:21:12 PM »
Awesome, this is truly impressive work!
My favorite may be Autumn, along with Mosaic and Palace. They look gorgeous! :thumbsup:

Offline 92Dexter11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 05:24:46 PM »
Thank you all so much for your kind words! :thumbsup:

However, I must inform you that the old version had a mistakenly huge file size due to lack of compression/optimisation - this was a massive mistake on my end. If you've already downloaded the old version, please download the updated version 2 and replace the old files with the new ones. The new files are identical, just much smaller in size.

Thank you!

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 08:25:43 PM »
These are just the sorts of styles we need - clear theme, beautifully crafted, high versatility. Excellent work, Dexter :thumbsup:

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 10:11:56 PM »
Phenomenal stuff. Wow!

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Level Database
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 08:28:33 AM »
Autumn:  Very nice!  If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a style that they just forgot to ship with the original game.
Circuit:  It's alright.  Like the Brick style, the primary color is a little overpowering.  Brick has the advantage that it's used for real-world structures.
Mosaic:  I stared at this for a long while, and I almost can't believe that this follows the palette restrictions.  Marvelous!
Palace:  Not bad, but I think some of the the wood and marble textures could be a bit less realistic somehow.
Rust:  It looks monotonous yet very busy.  It's kinda depressing.  Taking parts from other styles and junking them was clever though.

My apologies if that was more negative feedback than you wanted.  Even my least favorite of these styles was better than a lot of styles I've seen over the years, so don't take it too harshly.

I really hope you'll make more of these palette-restricted styles in the future.  It really gives it that retro feel that I love.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 06:53:39 AM by Mindless »