NeoLemmix > NeoLemmix Main

Shimmier: NeoLemmix experimental version available

<< < (6/7) > >>

Nepster:

--- Quote from: namida on May 15, 2019, 08:17:41 AM ---Let's suppose we have a tunnel that's vertically *just* too short for a shimmier (or maybe even shorter than that), followed by a drop (but the ceiling continues). If you assign a shimmier to a lemming on the last pixel before he drops off the edge, he can shimmy from that point.

--- End quote ---
Fixed now.

Once we have the remaining shimmier sprites, I would merge the shimmier code in the main master branch for the official release.

namida:
Commit cc169b8 adds the ability to have pre-placed shimmiers. They must be exactly 9px below a ceiling.

EDIT: Commit 437c421, on the "feature/preassigned-shimmier" branch (it's the only commit on that branch - and a very simple one at that) implements editor support for this.

Strato Incendus:
Oh, that's a great idea, namida! :thumbsup: Hadn't thought of that yet!

That begs the question though: Would there be any need to make the vertical option viable as well? i.e. placing a pre-placed climber on a wall in a state of already-climbing.

For the other permanent skills, this works already anyway (meaning floater, glider, and swimmer). I guess it's even possible to pre-place a disarme on a trap trigger to have it disarm rigjt at the start of a level, even though that would render the trap pretty pointless to begin with :) .

namida:

--- Quote ---That begs the question though: Would there be any need to make the vertical option viable as well? i.e. placing a pre-placed climber on a wall in a state of already-climbing.
--- End quote ---

That's actually a very good point. Although, this would also be a bit trickier to implement, as the question arises of what pixels should be checked to determine "currently climbing" vs just "has the climber skill" - I'm sure a logical answer is 100% possible, but it's trickier than the shimmier which firstly, is not ambiguous (as Shimmier is not a permanent skill), and secondly, only needs to check a single pixel - in this sense, a pre-assigned shimmier is more comparable to a pre-assigned blocker, than a pre-assigned climber.

Do you have any specific use cases in mind that can't (easily) be done without such a feature?

Strato Incendus:

--- Quote ---Do you have any specific use cases in mind that can't (easily) be done without such a feature?
--- End quote ---

Well, first of all there would be the obvious timing-based applications (climber has to get to place XY before crowd does, or the crowd has to get to place XY before the climber does). I for one used to regard that as "execution madness", but I've come to find out the hard way that timing-based puzzles are actually a thing. Since constructive skills can be used to make shimmiers carry on where they normally wouldn't, pre-placed shimmiers definitely seem to call for such timing-based stuff as well (get to gap XY and close it with a builder or platformer before the shimmier gets there, because you don't have any new shimmiers to assign to the lemming).

Second, you could probably come up with scenarios in which a climber is attached to a wall that, once the climber has fallen down / climbed up, can't be climbed again from below. For example, if the wall isn't straight at the bottom, but a pre-placed climber is stuck to it in a higher position. Maybe you want to force the player to do whatever the climber is supposed to do at the start of the level, rather than having the climber come around and do its part later.

Third, if there are zombies in the pit from which the pre-placed climbers otherwise would have to start. You can't place it on the ground because it would get infected right away, but you still want a climber to be pre-placed in this area of the level - simply stick it to the wall!

That's just off the top of my head; I'm pretty sure other, more genius players can come up with even wittier examples ;) .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version