Other Lemmings Projects > Other Projects

NES Lemmings Improvement Hack [V1.4 Out Now!]

<< < (2/5) > >>

The Tomato Watcher:
Beta Version 0.1 is now available! If it wasn't for the awful audio bug I would have waited a bit, but it really needed fixing. Plus, I discovered ANOTHER bug that I hadn't encountered before for the exact same reason as the audio bug. Both seem to be fixed now. I've posted the updated level edits spreadsheet as well. :)

Some other patch notes:

* Added version identification information within the game itself--the intro text now reads the version number, and the title screen, for now, has "BETA" on it.
* Builders no longer bounce off of exits and hatches; instead they simply stop building and DON'T turn around.
* Mayhem 23's solution is now closer to the original solution due to the above.
* Extra Builders removed from Tricky 25 and Taxing 4.
* Tricky 5 now requires 8 Lemmings to be saved. Additionally, I crudely edited Tricky 5's terrain into... this:
It doesn't look amazing, but ANYTHING is better than how BS the level was in the original.

Known Issues:

* Bashers may get stuck in a wall if you're one frame too late assigning it to a lemming. This has already been fixed on my end and will be in the next release.
* Some punctation is slightly incorrect; will be corrected in next release.
* On Tricky 8, something may go wrong with OAM RAM when the hatches open that causes the status bar to have incorrect graphics and the music to slow down for one frame. I have no idea why this happens, it may even depend on emulator or something, and it looks like there is absolutely zero rhyme or reason to it and there's likely nothing I can do, but since it's for one frame on one level only (so far...) I'll just have to live with it.
* Mayhem 22 has a backroute, because of course it does. :P I'll need to edit the terrain data to fix it well.

The Tomato Watcher:
Beta Version 0.2 out now! :D This version introduces quite a few more level changes, which are detailed in the spreadsheet attached below, but the most notable ones are:

* Taxing 1 now has no Bashers and requires an entirely different solution than its Fun rating counterpart. NOTE: I have a feeling that the new solution could be a bit too much of a difficulty spike; let me know if you think it's too hard for early in Taxing.

* The final level, Mayhem 25, has been replaced entirely; rather than a repeat of Fun 5, it's a repeat of Tricky 5 that takes full advantage of my terrain edits and the altered Builder mechanics. I quite like how my new solution turned out here, but please do let me know what you think of it.
Some other patch notes:

* Bashers no longer get stuck in walls; my added Basher logic was just entirely in the wrong order. :forehead:
* Taxing 6/Mayhem 22's terrain has been edited slightly to patch a backroute in Mayhem 22. The solution to Taxing 6 is somewhat different due to this, but it doesn't require much additional thought.
* Some punctuation was corrected and the credits scroller text was edited slightly.
Known issues:

* In certain situations, assigning a Builder to a Shrugger will result in the Builder assignment getting eaten and the Shrugger falling off the bridge instantly. The timing seems to be very tight and it might even depend on direction. This is being looked into as I type this. EDIT: This glitch is in the vanilla game as well! And it's the stupidest glitch EVERRRRRR to track down and debug, it's been driving me insane all day!!! >:(

The Tomato Watcher:
Alright y'all, I am sad to report that I thought I fixed the Frame 1 Shrugger glitch, but it just happened to me again playing through the levels.

Trust me when I say there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I can do to fix this; I'd have to rewrite the whole main game loop from scratch pretty much. That is WELL above my paygrade. So um... don't assign Builders to Shruggers on their first frame, I guess.

Oh also there's a similar glitch with Blockers where if you assign them to a Lemming exactly on the edge of a platform, it'll just get eaten and the Lemming will fall. I'm not even gonna try fixing that one. Sorry everyone. :'(

EDIT: I just discovered ANOTHER glitch that results in a skill being eaten if you're frame perfect. And with that, I am deciding, right now, that I will no longer be fixing ANY bugs that are from the base game. If there's a bug in my own code I'll look into it, but otherwise? I'm done. There's probably HUNDREDS of weird edge cases like this and I have NO interesting in pursuing all of them. I've fixed the absolute worst of this game's issues, and that's good enough for me. This version is still not final because I may still make level changes.

The Tomato Watcher:
Alright, last wave of level changes before I get some feedback.
Beta 0.3 is out now!
Spreadsheet of level edits attached as well. I hope you think they're decent fits for their ratings ^^

If the levels are all alright, I'll go ahead and put the finishing touches on this version and make it "final" (v1.0). I'll be waiting for a decent while though, and I'll consider all feedback. :)

WillLem:
Looking good. Does this run in any NES emulator?

(and, I'm guessing it's a patch for the original ROM rather than a standalone...?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version