Author Topic: Cheapo content to NeoLemmix conversion  (Read 42058 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Cheapo content to NeoLemmix conversion
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:06:35 AM »
Well, I think it's about time I got around to finishing up and releasing these tools, isn't it?

Converting Styles

To convert a style, you need the NeoLemmix Graphic Set Tool. (NOTE: if you're planning to convert the style at the same time as levels that use that style, see the section on converting levels - the tool for that can convert styles as well while it's converting the levels. This section is primarily for if you want to convert the style so you can use it for creating new levels, and thus don't have any levels you're wanting to convert alongside it.)

Here are the steps to convert a Cheapo style to a NeoLemmix one:

• Run the graphic set tool, and on the menu bar choose Import -> Cheapo
  • In the file selection window that pops up, select the style file
  • On the menu bar, choose File -> Save
  • For the filename, it is recommended you use the same name as the graphic set had in Cheapo format; though if it is longer than 16 characters, name it with only the first 16 (eg: "BlahBlahLongStyleName.sty" should be saved as "BlahBlahLongStyl.dat")
  • You can now use these output files with NeoLemmix and its editor

Please note that converted Cheapo styles are NOT compatible with traditional Lemmix, they are ONLY compatible with NeoLemmix. If you use Export -> GROUND/VGAGR, the output will more-or-less work fine graphically with regular Lemmix, but will almost certianly not work functionally. They won't work at all with DOS Lemmings. Also note that any object types that aren't supported by NeoLemmix will be converted, but they will come out as objects with no effect. As of V1.30n, the only object types not supported are the gravity changers; though do be aware that objects do not nessecerially function exactly the same way.

To use these with NeoLemmix Editor, I'm going to assume you have V1.29n or higher. In this case, all you have to do is copy/paste both output files into your "styles/NeoLemmix" or "styles/Cheapo" subfolder (in the editor folder) - which one you put them in doesn't matter functionally, it's just a preference thing for which header they appear under in the style selection menu. You may want to add a section to the styles.ini file (in the NeoLemmix or Cheapo folder) to give them a tidier name in the editor, but this is completely optional and they will function fine even without doing this; it's purely a cosmetic thing. If you do, the section to add (using "orig-dirt" as an example, and of course you can give it a different name if you want); this can be anywhere in the file as long as you don't insert it in the middle of another section:

[orig-dirt]
Name=Dirt (Cheapo)

To use these with NeoCustLemmix, just place them in the same folder as it, and they'll work. Likewise, for Flexi, handle them the same way as you would any other graphic set. Note that when playtesting levels from the editor, you don't need to put a seperate second copy of the styles in the main folder (in addition to the NeoLemmix styles folder); the editor can tell NeoCustLemmix where to find the files.

Converting Levels

For converting levels or level packs, you'll need CheapoCon. These instructions relate to the GUI-based version of CheapoCon; if you have the old (text-based) version I would highly recommend getting the newer version as it works with NeoLemmix-format graphic sets (as well as being able to convert Cheapo graphic sets during the conversion, if you don't already have NeoLemmix-format conversions) and uses the latest level format, as well as producing smaller output files.

Here are the steps for converting a level or level pack:
  • Put copies of all graphic sets used by the levels you are converting, into the same folder as the levels. These may be in either Cheapo or NeoLemmix format; in the case of the former, be sure to also put copies of any other graphic sets they refer to (most often Default.sty, but in some cases there may be others too).
  • Run CheapoCon, and select the SET (or LEV) file for the source file.
  • By default, the Output file and VGASPEC root will be set based on the input filename; if you'd like to change these, do so. Note that you don't have to put an absolute path for the output file; you can just put a filename.
  • Click "Convert". CheapoCon will convert all of the levels in the source file; the output will be a single DAT file (based on the Output path) containing all the levels, plus one VGASPEC file for each level with the filename "X_<vgaspec root><level number>.dat". If any of the provided graphic sets were in Cheapo format, CheapoCon will also output NeoLemmix conversions of them.

The new GUI-based version of CheapoCon does not have a terrain-recognition algorithm like the command line one had; this is because even with the terrain-recognition algorithm being taken into account, the output files are still smaller with the new tool than they were with the old text-based one. Also, the output, while smaller in size, would generally be too messy for level-editing purposes, thus making it rather useless for any purpose other than reducing filesize.

Note that NeoLemmix V1.33n or newer must be used with GUI-based CheapoCon's output, due to it using the new variable-sized level format.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:26:01 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Cheapo to NeoLemmix conversion tools
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:06:46 AM »
(reserved post)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapo to NeoLemmix conversion tools (LemSet V12.1+ / CheapoCon)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:29:36 PM »
Where do i get the styles from i have the extractor and Lemset V12.1

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:51 AM »
The standard ones and a few extras come with Cheapo; the rest I'm not entirely sure where they can be found these days.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:09:21 AM »
There's a whole bunch of Cheapo styles here: http://www.garjen.co.uk/CheapoLemmings.php

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:34:50 AM »
Thanks! Wasn't sure if the downloads (or the website at all, for that matter) were still there, since I know the forums were long gone; was going to check when I got home but ya beat me to it. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 06:38:16 AM »
Most of them are working. A couple aren't...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:55:42 AM »
Do you mean as in the downloads are working, or they aren't working with the conversion tools? If it's the latter, you'll need to discuss it with Essman if the issues are with the Cheapo Style Extractor, but let me know ASAP if there's issues on the LemSet side of things. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 07:23:02 AM »
Sorry, I meant a few of the download links were down on that site.

The conversion tool worked fine on all of the files.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »
Awesome! :)
I'll probably include a fairly large collection of them by default in future editor (and NeoCustLemmix) releases, but before that I want to add support for the remaining Cheapo-exclusive object types, apart from the gravity changers since I don't plan to ever support inverted gravity in NeoLemmix. Still not completely sure how I'm going to go about handling two-way teleporters / single teleporters, since IIRC there aren't enough spare bytes in the object data to hold the destination position, but I'll work something out.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:46 PM »
I did find a lot of styles in this post (in fact, the whole game) too; unfortunately, the download there since has not been working. You many want to ask mobius.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »
Well im looking for the five styles from Copycat lemmings

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
They're included with Cheapo. "Orig-Dirt", "Orig-Fire", etc.

Just as a note, you may want to wait until I put out another update. The next update (which will need an updated version of both NeoLemmix and LemSet; it won't need an editor update though the existing version may not display trigger areas accurately on some objects) will include support for all Cheapo object types except for gravity-changers (which I don't plan to ever support, and definitely not in the near future), and include the "official" Cheapo styles by default.

It shouldn't be too long; the LemSet update has already been made (but not uploaded), and the only remaining object to add support for in NeoLemmix itself is the triggered exits.

(An update for CheapoCon (and re-conversion of levels) will be nessecary only for levels that use two-way teleporters and have more than two of them. In this case, the VGASPEC will not need to be rebuilt, the existing one will be fine - it's just the LVL file that needs re-doing.)

EDIT: I've uploaded the LemSet update. This is to minimize the "multiple versions of same style" effect; all objects that aren't supported in the current version of NeoLemmix will still do nothing, but you won't need to re-convert the style when it's here, as versions made using LemSet V13 will already contain all the info the new update of NeoLemmix will need to utilize these objects. Do note that the current version of the editor won't display trigger areas properly for Two-Way Teleporters / Single Teleporters.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:45:45 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
Uploaded the update of CheapoCon. As I said, you'll generally only need to use the updated version for levels with multiple sets of two-way teleporters. I did however think of one additional case - in levels where two-way teleporters are used in place of regular teleporters/receivers, the new version might be nessecary for those too.

Of course, make sure that the copy of the style you provide to it is also converted with the updated version of LemSet.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 03:33:32 AM »
Minor bug in LemSet V13: LemSet will *say* "object type not supported" on Splat pads, and won't say it on Gravity changers. However, splat pads still are converted fine.

More majorly, there may be an issue with two-way teleporters and single teleporters, due to them being labelled differently in the extractor than they are in Cheapo's documentation. So I'll upload an update to fix all of these.
My Lemmings projects