Author Topic: Ghosts  (Read 4806 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Ghosts
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »
I guess now that Doomsday Lemmings II's demo has been out for a while, and as such you've all had a chance to experience the Ghosts gimmick, it's about time I started allowing use of it in custom levels. :)

Note - before using it, please be aware of:

> the ghost-digger bug (see the Player Bugs topic). This is going to be fixed in a near-future update (not the big V2.00n update, a V1.35n-D update). If you plan to make levels that involve the kind of situation that triggers this bug, please be prepared to re-test this level after the update to ensure it still works as intended (it should unless very precise timing is required, but you never know).
> that from V1.35n-D onwards, ghosts will not ignore one-way walls

In future updates to the editor, I'll make the ghost gimmick selectable without any extra steps. In the current update, it can already be selected but it's a hidden option. To reveal it, follow these steps:

1. Open the Gimmicks window
2. Click "Activate this gimmick" (it doesn't matter what gimmick you have selected at this point)
3. Press Shift+F5, then Ctrl+F5, then Shift+F5 again. A counter should appear that starts at 1 and increases to 3 as you press these keys.

1. Update to Editor V1.35n-E or higher.
2. Once that's done, Ghosts (and Ghosts-on-death), as well as a lot of unused placeholder gimmicks, will be added to the list of selectable gimmicks.
3. Marking a lemming as a ghost is done the same way as zombies / permanent skills; the number to use is 128. And yes, you can combine this with various permanent skills; and yes, you can apply it to entrances rather than pre-placed lemmings.

Ghosts and zombies can co-exist in the same level (one of the DDII demo levels, "Guardian Angels", already showed this), but a single lemming cannot be both a ghost and a zombie. For this reason, "Ghosts on death" and "Zombies on death" cannot both apply in the same level - IIRC, zombies-on-death takes priority in this case, but I'm not 100% sure.

The signs used to indicate "ghosts on death" and "zombies on death" in levels are additions to the Horror tileset; they've been in there for a while now so if your version of the editor / player aren't new enough to have those in the tileset, they're probably not new enough to support the gimmicks themself anyway. In other levels, you'll need to make VGASPECs for the signs (or modify the graphic sets themself).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:31:23 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:29:22 AM »
An additional heads up here - normally I wouldn't do this, but ghosts are so recently introduced that it's unlikely to break any levels outside of maybe some of my own:

I'm strongly considering whether to remove their "immunity" to one-way-walls. It's a huge source of almost-unfixable backroutes, and the Ghosts have plenty going for them without this.

If such a change is made, it'll be for V1.35n-D; you won't have to wait for V2.00n to find out if this change is made or not.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:15:30 AM »
I Decided to test it out and if you want you can try this

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
They is a problem with the ghosts
Unlike in the demo for Doomsday lemmings II
instead of making Ghost walk away, A ghost can become a zombie
i tested it myself

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 12:19:47 AM »
This was fixed in V1.35n-C.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 01:32:18 AM »
Latest editor update removes the requirement to reveal the "hidden gimmicks". Ghosts (and Ghost-on-death) is always selectable now.
My Lemmings projects