Author Topic: extracting Cheapo graphics  (Read 37544 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
extracting Cheapo graphics
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Anyone that knows anything about Cheapo:

I'd like to extract the graphics files. What programs (other than Cheapo) can load them? Is there any way possible to get these and convert them to something like gif or anything normal? Thank you.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: extracting Cheapo graphics
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »
The only clue from the little I studied Cheapo years ago is that the files are zlib compressed.  Unfortunately I don't have time myself to revisit it currently, but the first step would be to decompress the files programmatically (zlib is open-source) and see what you can find in the raw data.

I'd like to convert some of the Cheapo styles too... I quite liked the fantasy forest theme, and while not possible to port to Lemmini, the "Original Lemmings" was a clever one (which had the lemmings with grey hair and hunched with walking sticks, and the climber animation was a lemming sitting in a stairlift!)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
:o

Do you guys have any pictures of these tilesets, for those of us not familiar with Cheapo, please? They sound pretty cool!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
:o

Do you guys have any pictures of these tilesets, for those of us not familiar with Cheapo, please? They sound pretty cool!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72760678/Cheapo.zip

here's the whole thing :) It should work on Windows though it crashes a lot. I particularly like the "floggings". look at level "the M0nolith" by InsaneSteve
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:59:44 AM »
for Prob Lem; here's a screenshot of a Cheapo level to give you an idea. It's actually a surprisingly good game, despite flaws. It has really good graphics which is why I like it quite a bit. and good music

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »
Thanks very much, möbius! :thumbsup:

Man, it does look cool. I'll see if I can get it running under WINE when I've got a moment.

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic, there - best of luck in obtaining the tilesets!

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 03:04:25 AM »
Hi, I made "Cheapo" and can help with extracting graphics as necessary. My code and tools are on a different computer that I'll be able to use on Friday. I'll look through what I have and see what will be of help. I'll be more available to help starting in January since I'll be on vacation until the end of the year.
Have fun!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »
Hi, I made "Cheapo" and can help with extracting graphics as necessary. My code and tools are on a different computer that I'll be able to use on Friday. I'll look through what I have and see what will be of help. I'll be more available to help starting in January since I'll be on vacation until the end of the year.
Have fun!

great, thanks a lot  :thumbsup:
------
I just realized something; not only will this be cool for the custom graphics but [you and/or others] added new graphics to the existing old Lemmings graphics, a lot of useful ones  :thumbsup:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 03:16:19 AM »
Hey, Peter, great to see you back  :thumbsup:

So... while we're discussing Cheapo, is there a quick fix to the framerate issues I have running Cheapo on new-ish machines? I mean, no matter what the settings, my last two computers dating back 4 or so years has run the game at a framerate where an in-game second lasts about 2 seconds, with the animation to boot.

Would be sweet to be able to replay all the Cheapo exclusive levels I have accumulated.  :D
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
...is there a quick fix to the framerate issues I have running Cheapo on new-ish machines? I mean, no matter what the settings, my last two computers dating back 4 or so years has run the game at a framerate where an in-game second lasts about 2 seconds, with the animation to boot.

There's no fix as far as I know. The ancient graphics technology used in that game just doesn't work well in Windows.

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »
I found the old code that loads style files. It's not very good and needs some work to be usable nowadays. If there is still interest after I come back from vacation (after the new year) I will make a program that extracts the sounds and graphics from a style file. I'd share the source for it too.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
Is there any chance you can provide a tool for extracting the data from level files, or at least describe the format of them? I'd like to create a tool to convert them to NeoLemmix / SuperLemmini formats. :)

Of course, mechanics differences may mean some levels don't work properly (particularly those that rely on glitches), but the only major difference is the fall distance; SuperLemmini supports arbitrary fall distances, while the latest update of NeoLemmix adds an option to use Cheapo's fall distance.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:26:38 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
I'm concerned Essman hasn't made an account here yet. Though visiting the old website, he'd see the notice but he might forget and not visit any time soon. Is there some other way to contact him?

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »
Could possibly try contacting him by email. However, the last time he was active on the old forums was before the move, so he hasn't "not seen" the notices; he just hasn't been on the site at all it'd seem.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »
I don't see how that could ever work. Cheapo has a similar interface for selecting graphics from a fixed tileset and placing them on a level, but once placed the terrain is stored as a bitmap. This adds flexibility (you can mix terrain from any number of styles, or paste in graphics from any source) but should make it impossible to go backwards. I suppose it's possible the bitmaps could be treated like the "special graphics" levels in Lemmings.