Author Topic: Cheapo content to NeoLemmix conversion  (Read 42215 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Cheapo to NeoLemmix conversion tools (LemSet V12.1+ / CheapoCon)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 03:45:55 AM »
Uploaded a fix. Additionally, I added code so that if it doesn't recognize a certain type of object, it'll mention this and wait for user input, rather than silently converting it as a do-nothing object. Let me know if you get this error message on any style.

Note that this is different from the error message that simply says "Object type not supported by NeoLemmix." That one only appears on object types that it does recognize, but NeoLemmix doesn't support; specifically the gravity changers. If it says "unrecognized", it means that LemSet doesn't recognize the type definition.

Another identified issue, which may take a bit longer to write a workaround for - due to file format limitations, each individual terrain piece (or object) can be no larger than 255x255 in size. Some Cheapo graphic sets - in particular, Garjen's space set - contain pieces larger than this. I don't know that there's much that can be done for objects, but for terrain pieces, it should be possible to write some code to split them into smaller pieces.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:06:07 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 04:18:55 AM »
I've converted a bunch of Cheapo graphic sets (coming from those included with Cheapo, as well as some from the Garjen site). You can get them here:

http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1921.msg49294#msg49294
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 05:15:55 AM »
I found a lot of Cheapo styles in my old hard drive and all over the web, and I've placed them here.

There is also a more up-to-date version of the Lemmings Racers style in that link.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 05:36:42 AM »
I don't think the version of Lemming Racers in there is any newer? At a quick glance I'm not noticing any differences. If I'm wrong about this, I'll update it in the pack I uploaded.

Anyway, (at least at the moment) I'm not going to go through and convert all those - I don't really want to have multiple copies of essentially the same graphic set (which is also why I skipped some of the ones I had); but of course nothing is stopping anyone else from converting them with the tools. :)

For the things like the "____Lemmus" styles; I'll probably make a modification to CheapoCon that allows simply pointing them towards the style they're based off. Eg: You can tell it to use "Orig-Dirt" in place of "DirtLemmus". Since NeoLemmix graphic sets don't include music etc; these pairs are ultimately identical under NeoLemmix.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 05:49:08 AM »
Yeah, that version on Garjen is the up-to-date one. I didn't check that Cheapo pack until now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:10:29 AM by DynaLem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
Anyway, (at least at the moment) I'm not going to go through and convert all those - I don't really want to have multiple copies of essentially the same graphic set (which is also why I skipped some of the ones I had); but of course nothing is stopping anyone else from converting them with the tools. :)

For the things like the "____Lemmus" styles; I'll probably make a modification to CheapoCon that allows simply pointing them towards the style they're based off. Eg: You can tell it to use "Orig-Dirt" in place of "DirtLemmus". Since NeoLemmix graphic sets don't include music etc; these pairs are ultimately identical under NeoLemmix.

Okay, what I did to make things more convenient is to make two folders. One has the new styles as far as I know, and the others that have "Lemmus" "Musics" etc. I put them in another folder. I also took out the styles that are already in Cheapo Pack 1.

New styles

Same terrain and objects, different musics.

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
SMB style wont extract with CheapStyle.exe.
Error message: Invalid style file.

That was downloaded from your link, Namida. So if it is corrupt you might want to delete it!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
Did you mean the collection pack? Those are already converted.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
SMB style wont extract with CheapStyle.exe.
Error message: Invalid style file.

That was downloaded from your link, Namida. So if it is corrupt you might want to delete it!

Try this one: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9q99t0k0iu07bh8/AADVXldGQ7L1u7scDn7VBEkDa?dl=

I got it from this post.

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 10:15:37 AM »
Got it. Thank you. :)

Not sure why the extractor wouldn't extract it though. :/

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Cheapo content to NeoLemmix conversion
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
Updated the original post with instructions on how to do the conversion using the new NeoLemmix Graphic Set Tool. :) Although it's probably not really much simpler than doing it with LemSet (not that it was difficult to do with LemSet in the first place), this tool will probably feel a lot friendlier.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »
The first part works but I'm having problems using the CheapoCon. It seems to go well but at the "rebuilding level" stage it hangs up and an error message says: "out of memory" then crashes.
It creates a dat file but it's empty.

Do you only need the style files to be in the same folder as the Essman's level converter or is that needed for the second part as well? I got the same result with a single level and a set.

Is it normal if the "large" png files are missing the objects from the pics? The objects appear in the small pics. ???
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:12:40 PM by もびうす »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 10:06:17 PM »
You need the converted style (has to be in old format (ie: v_xxx and g_xxx); CheapoCon hasn't been updated to support the new format yet) in the same folder as CheapoCon. You don't need the style files when extracting the levels via Essman's converter. (The reason for this is that Essman's tool just needs to know "Object A, of type B, exists at position X, Y", whereas in some cases CheapoCon needs the graphic set to look up exactly what *type* of object it is too.)

And yes, it's completely normal for the objects to be missing from the large PNG file. The large PNG file is the level's terrain layout (this is how Cheapo works - the level layout just becomes a single large image, rather than being made up of smaller pieces as eg a Lemmix level would be), while the small one is the preview screen image (hence why it does include the objects).

Conversion to SuperLemmini is possible but a bit tricky at the moment - I'd hold off on that until I release an updated (or replacement) tool, but if you do really want to do it, convert it to a NeoLemmix level the usual way (but with zero passes on the terrain detector), create a SuperLemmini version of the graphic set, and use NeoLemmix Editor to convert the NeoLemmix level. For creating the special graphic PNG file, use the normal-size one from the extractor's output; you'll need to resize it (losslessly; use "Nearest Neighbour" if your graphics editor offers you a choice of resize filters) to double the size, then replace all the black background with transparent. You might also need to slightly adjust the positions of any objects that are horizontally flipped - the old NeoLemmix graphic set format required their widths to be padded to multiples of 8, and CheapoCon did account for this when converting the levels. This will mean that horizontally flipped objects are slightly off-position when using a SuperLemmini (or even new-format NeoLemmix) graphic set, where the widths can be used as-is.

I'll probably look into doing an updated tool over the next few days; quite possibly including removing the intermediate step of having to use Essman's tools.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:43:43 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 10:27:52 PM »
where are the Cheapo style versions of the original pillar/marble/fire/crystal and dirt sets? the ones that appear in Neolemmmix are the newer custom made ones that only vaguely resemble them.
I can't find them in the Cheapo folders yet they must be there since plenty of levels like those by Ben Bryant use them. ???

the rock, snow, brick and bubble sets look almost identical to the original but the others are total recreations.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:07:55 AM by もびうす »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
my best guess is here
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixeditor.html
it has a link to the newest version of neolemmix editor (if you haven't got it already)
and the addon cheapo sets