Author Topic: Lemmings Heritage WIP  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
Lemmings Heritage WIP
« on: February 29, 2024, 07:26:59 PM »
Howdy folks, I am still new here and still learning NeoLemmix. namida informed me to get answers on the forum - that it may be quicker.

So, I want to have my new levels go in a particular order. So far, NeoLemmix is seemingly throwing them into their own arrangement in the actual game and I don't know how to rearrange the levels.

I have been naming them Level01, Level02, and so on. Is this supposed to be different? Or is more clarification needed for this question?

Edit by kaywhyn: Moved Mobiethian's topic to the In Development board as suggested by WillLem with the prospective title Lemmings Heritage Demo WIP

3/18/24 Edit by kaywhyn: Per Mobiethian's request, the topic title has now been changed to Lemmings Heritage WIP
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 07:09:18 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How does NeoLemmix decide which order the levels go?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 07:45:38 PM »
Hi Mobiethian,

This tutorial that namida wrote up should help:

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4335.0

Also, you can download level packs from the Neolemmix Levels board and see how those levels.nxmi files and other various files are done for packs and then simply replace the text with your level titles and rank names.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 08:04:48 PM »
Hello kaywhyn!

This is genuinely helpful, thank you so very much! Very much appreciated indeed. :)

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 01:59:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I messed up a lot of things opposed to the way they should be done. :lem-shocked: However, I found a work-around to have the levels play in order. But I don't think they should be that way. The levels.nxmi file is missing altogether for some unknown reason. I tried to make a new one, but wordpad won't allow that file type.

Ranks won't work for me either. So what I'd like to do is see if anyone can help me to correct these issues. This way we can get a demo released for feedback, etc. What I will do is send the link to the download file and someone can take a look at it, please, and see what I've done wrong with it all. There are a whole lot of styles that I'd like to be gone - plus over 33,000 files along with them. I'd like to have only L1, L2, L3, and SMS Sega styles only. What happens when I delete the others? Well, I get an error message and cannot play the levels. :-[

I'd like to kindly ask for some help. It would be great to know what several things I've done wrong. But the plus side is every level in the first rank is finished, there are 20 of them. Play them if you'd like. I plan for two ranks with 40 levels total, 20 in each rank.

I am not good at the other particular things outside of level design, I'll add.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 02:12:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I messed up a lot of things opposed to the way they should be done. :lem-shocked: However, I found a work-around to have the levels play in order. But I don't think they should be that way. The levels.nxmi file is missing altogether for some unknown reason. I tried to make a new one, but wordpad won't allow that file type.

Ranks won't work for me either. So what I'd like to do is see if anyone can help me to correct these issues. This way we can get a demo released for feedback, etc. What I will do is send the link to the download file and someone can take a look at it, please, and see what I've done wrong with it all. There are a whole lot of styles that I'd like to be gone - plus over 33,000 files along with them. I'd like to have only L1, L2, L3, and SMS Sega styles only. What happens when I delete the others? Well, I get an error message and cannot play the levels. :-[

I'd like to kindly ask for some help. It would be great to know what several things I've done wrong. But the plus side is every level in the first rank is finished, there are 20 of them. Play them if you'd like. I plan for two ranks with 40 levels total, 20 in each rank.

I am not good at the other particular things outside of level design, I'll add.

I'll be happy to take a look at why it's not working for you. Shoot me a PM along with your files :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 04:41:20 PM »
To create a new file of nxmi type, the simplest way is to copy an existing one, then copy your desired contents into it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 02:37:25 AM »
There are a whole lot of styles that I'd like to be gone - plus over 33,000 files along with them. I'd like to have only L1, L2, L3, and SMS Sega styles only. What happens when I delete the others? Well, I get an error message and cannot play the levels. :-[

Make sure you're not deleting the "default", "xmas" or "special" styles. In particular, NeoLemmix will not take kindly to the absence of "default" (the other two won't cause problems until you try to play a level that actually uses them), as it contains several objects shared between multiple styles (eg. the common hatch and water shared by Dirt and Pillar; the generic recolorable one-way-arrows) and the placeholder pieces used as fallbacks in preview images if pieces are missing, not to mention the actual lemming sprites. Xmas contains the lemming sprites and objects from the Xmas/Holiday Lemmings games (the terrain pieces are mostly identical to ohno_snow, and the few that aren't have been merged into ohno_snow in NL), while Special is for the special graphics levels (like A Beast Of A Level).

(It is technically possible to create a level that doesn't need the default style, but it's easier to just assume that every level requires it.)

At any rate, if you're distributing your content you only need to distribute the levels, music, and any custom styles you make for it (if you don't get these added to the Style Manager / all styles ZIP). People looking to play your packs should already have (or easily be able to obtain) everything else. You certianly don't need to include every style that exists.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 11:44:51 AM »
I do wonder what I did with the nxmi file and probably removed it unintentionally or probably thought it was an extra file that I didn't need (which was no good on my behalf) and now I know how important it is. Thanks Proxima!

Seems very sensible to me with the styles namida, I can guarantee I've accidentally deleted some of those needed ones.

Thank you all! I'm learning a lot here. This is really fun!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 02:04:13 PM »
Ah, seems like you wanted to continue figuring out for yourself why things weren't working for you. Not a problem at all. I was simply concerned and offered to take a look at how you wrote up your stuff so that I could see where things were going wrong. Looks like that isn't necessary anymore.

Glad to hear that everything is working now! :thumbsup:

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 02:57:00 PM »
Ah, seems like you wanted to continue figuring out for yourself why things weren't working for you. Not a problem at all. I was simply concerned and offered to take a look at how you wrote up your stuff so that I could see where things were going wrong. Looks like that isn't necessary anymore.

Glad to hear that everything is working now! :thumbsup:

I do believe my workout method had worked, it may not be traditional, but it's working out. If you still felt like looking at my files, you're more than welcome to it. Things still seem normal but still aren't normal, if that makes sense? :D

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 06:19:30 PM »
Ok, sure.

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 12:44:48 PM »
Ok, sure.

Sounds great! Feel free to PM me when you see if I did something out of the ordinary, anything I should be doing, or your input is really all I need. Thanks again!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 11:05:11 PM »
No problem. I'm always willing to help and lend a helping hand to newcomers or anyone really that needs it ;) You can send them over whenever you're ready :) Or attach them in this topic if you prefer that instead, keeping the total size and size limitations of attachments in mind. Whatever way floats your boat and works for you, really :thumbsup: 

Offline Mobiethian

• Keep doing your thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 10:49:02 AM »
You can send them over whenever you're ready :)

PM with folder sent. :) Let me know if you get it, my previous message to you literally vanished, so maybe you never got the first message after all this time. :-[ Sorry about that if so.

Thanks so much!

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 01:46:21 PM »
PM with folder sent. :) Let me know if you get it, my previous message to you literally vanished, so maybe you never got the first message after all this time. :-[ Sorry about that if so.

Thanks so much!

Got something from you this time ;) Didn't get anything before. In any case, after a quick glance of your structure, I knew exactly where the issue(s) were. I already PMed you an extensive reply which hopefully covers all bases. :laugh: One thing I did forget, and that is the $END part per rank name in the message, but well, you'll see it in the levels.nxmi I wrote up for you.

Hope it helps, and if any further assistance is needed, let me know :thumbsup: Just to clarify once more, your method is perfectly fine, what might not had been clear is why they were in the right order, and as explained the game still sorted your levels by ABC order but because the files have numbers it sorted in numerical order due to the words LEVEL level before them matching exactly and therefore can't say which needs to go before or after, and so it looks at the number, where it does differ and hence can be sorted in an order. Then, the name that is displayed in the game is what you saved the level as in the editor in the title box in the upper left corner.