NeoLemmix > NeoLemmix Main

Splat ruler: Newbies think full height is for walker, incl/excl ambiguity

(1/7) > >>

Proxima:
Split off People getting confused by NL's auto-replay

A similar problem is the splat height ruler with a zillion bells and whistles. Every new player is confused. Every new player thinks the splat height for walkers is the full length of the ruler. The obvious solution is to offer multiple splat rulers and have a plain one as default, but we can't do that because... no idea.

Simon:
I remember that the inside markings (C in the image) are for walkers (edit: wrong, see my next reply; B is for walkers), and I don't use the outside markings. I assume both outside markings (A, B) are for climbers (edit: again, wrong, only A is).

I don't know if the red bars (C, D) at the ends are inclusive or exclusive. I use the ruler for rough measurement, and if a single pixel counts, I experiment. (= I let one splat and rewind.)

-- Simon

mobius:

--- Quote from: Simon on February 17, 2024, 02:36:10 AM ---I remember that the inside markings (C in the image) are for walkers, and I don't use the outside markings. I assume both outside markings (A, B) are for climbers.

I don't know if the red bars (C, D) at the ends are inclusive or exclusive. I use the ruler for rough measurement, and if a single pixel counts, I experiment. (= I let one splat and rewind.)

-- Simon

--- End quote ---

same I use it for rough measurement, if its close I experiment anyway. Can't be bothered with those lines. IMO they should be gone. All we should need is one simple stick/line. When the feature that's supposed to make the game less complex becomes more complex than the thing you were trying to do in the first place = bad design. (imo)

Proxima:

--- Quote from: Simon on February 17, 2024, 02:36:10 AM ---I remember that the inside markings (C in the image) are for walkers, and I don't use the outside markings. I assume both outside markings (A, B) are for climbers.
--- End quote ---

A is for climbers. One of B, C is for the fall from the hatch; I can never remember which but assuming you are correct about C, it must be B.

Simon:
From the hatch! How would you even measure pixel-perfectly from a hatch? I know that the hatch show red-yellow nubs during clear-physics mode. But then the ruler supports that outside clear-physics mode.

I've experimented. Assuming we should measure from the clear-physics-mode nub: C is from the hatch. Hatch fall distance is shorter than regular walker fall distance.

If you stick C on the yellow center of the yellow-red nub and D inside the ground, the lemmings will splat. I conclude that both C and D measure death. To measure with the ruler, you must stick D into the ground (not onto the ground), and then C will tell you the first deadly pixel.

Since C is for the hatch, B must be for regular walkers.

Again, if you stick B inside the highest solid pixel of the high ground (where the walker's pin is before his fall: the pin is under the foot inside the ground) and D inside the highest solid pixel of the low ground, you have the smallest deadly fall. Again, both B and D measure death. The maximal survivable distance is: One of them is inside the ground (high or low) and then the other ground level is inside the white, not touching B nor D.

I grant:

* It's hard to visualize inclusiveness/exclusiveness. E.g., how to show that you're supposed to stick the red bar inside the ground.
* It's consistent: Both B-D and C-D measure death. Usage of B-D and usage of C-D is near-identical.-- Simon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version