Author Topic: Level Design Contest #29 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 4890 times)

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
Re: Level Design Contest #29 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 01:32:04 AM »
I replayed kaywhyn's revisions. I'm still stuck on R1, but here's R2 and R3.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 10:04:34 AM »
@zanzindorf

Many thanks for resolving the most recent versions of my R2 and R3! :thumbsup:

R1 This surprises me a bit, but as mentioned before I'm my own worst critic when it comes to judging the difficulty of my own levels! Actually, I think this is pretty much true for every designer. I'll refrain from giving hints for now, as I generally only give them if the player asks for them. I know you'll get V3 solved, though :)

R2 - Another really bad backroute that I didn't catch :forehead: For V4, the only change here was shifting the pillar in the water down a pixel, but apparently that change is enough! Let's see how it holds up now, though I still very much have my doubts.

R3 - Oh wow, nice find. For V3, I removed the steel blocks and replaced them with some circle terrain.

I have resolves for eric's R1 and Armani's R2.

@eric

Ok, if this is intended then I must say this level really made me rage because of how it needs so much precision in order to avoid zombie infection. It probably isn't though and I simply self-inflicted all that precision and made it far more complicated than it needs to be. I literally exhausted every possibility here, with nothing working except for this solution I finally found after a few hours. Again, if intended, then I hate to say it but I'm not a fan of all that fiddliness and timing. Since I'm not certain about whether it's intended, I've refrained from watching zanzindorf's broken replay for now just in case I need to resolve this one again.

@Armani

R2 looks good now :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2023, 11:35:35 AM »
Resolved eric's R1 V6. This one spares a few skills but it should still be intended/acceptable nevertheless, it's simply a really efficient way to do so to allow one to save skills.

My point still stands about the level needlessly being dragged out with no input needed from the player for a while since nothing can be done while they do a very long shimmier/swimming/walking. There's definitely far more creative uses of those skills. Again, I love the shimmier skill a lot myself, but really long sections of it that don't really have a purpose other than to drag things out isn't one of my favorite uses of it. I do understand it's to all make the timing work out here, but I would love to see and play levels with better and more creative shimmier uses in the future!

Note: the Intended solution isn't fiddly. Remember I'm still using Zanzindorf's solution, it's just he needs to replay and make small adjustments.

Ok, but try discussing solutions here instead. It is the discussion topic after all :P Yes, I'm well aware that zanzindorf's is the new intended solution, but I didn't watch it before resolving this version, therefore I had no way of knowing if the solution is supposed to be messy and fiddly. Indeed, now that I have solved it it's not, but there's still some difficult timing needed, just not to the extreme extent I made a mess out of in V5
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 01:18:07 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2023, 04:54:06 PM »
added a Bronze Talisman

@Kaywhyn

Ok, this solution is acceptable. good job

« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 05:39:32 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2023, 03:39:05 AM »
Solved both of geoo's Lix entries. Replays attached ;) I don't smell any backroutes here!

Both solutions are intended, though you made your life much harder on the second one (as long as you place the second blocker well, execution should have a decent amount of leeway):

Dangerous Goods should also work with the normal bomber, haven't tested though. If certain kinds of backroutes crop up I might change it.

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2023, 04:57:49 AM »
I replayed some more revisions. Brick or Treat and Where No Lem Has Gone Before are solved as indented, I think. Both very nice levels 8-)

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2023, 05:29:46 AM »
Both solutions are intended, though you made your life much harder on the second one

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2023, 08:24:00 AM »
@zanzindorf

Thanks once again for resolving the most recent versions of my R2 and R3 :thumbsup: Indeed both are still backroutes :( I should had known better than to underestimate you lol.

R2 - For V5 the only change was that I replaced the pillar in the water with a different terrain piece. Once again, I'm not confident this change is enough, but well, let's see.

R3 - For V4, I restored the platform near the entrance to V2's version, shifted the steel blocks over, and added a piece of terrain. I think as a result of these changes the solution will probably be a bit more obvious now, but well, sometimes that's the way it is. Even when I thought the solution is more obvious, I still been told otherwise by Armani and Icho! I haven't verified it, but I'm sure Armani's replay should still be fine and if not, then he just needs to make a really minor adjustment.

I've replayed geoo's R3 by doing what he described in the first part of the spoiler to make the solution easier than the one I found, but honestly I still find it pretty precise and not that much better. Replay attached. Needless to say, I'm definitely very curious about geoo's replay for it lol. So really, @zanzindorf I don't think you can deviate too much from my first replay with the placements of the skills, otherwise you won't make it as you keep on seeing lol :(

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2023, 03:18:19 PM »
I replayed Jolly Roger with the new terrain piece. I feel like I'm getting closer to the intended solution, but it's still definitely a back route. I have three variations of essentially the same path, just using different skills.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2023, 09:44:54 PM »
@zanzindorf

Yea, each of the solutions for R2 have you going through the ship where I don't want them to. Now I remember that's why I didn't want to make the entrance a swimmer hatch, but because of the 10 max skill types limit the intended solution I have in mind wouldn't work :( For V6, I extended the OWAs. This change should force you to find a different way for the crowd to take ;)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2023, 10:03:48 PM »
The pack has been updated. :)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2023, 01:05:33 AM »
@Zanzindorf

Both your solutions to my R1 and R2 are indeed intended.

Of course I added a Bronze Talisman for Kaywhyn's 2 skill saving but your solution is exactly the solution I wanted
without the Talisman.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2023, 09:09:17 AM »
@geoo
solved lix entries!
Took me several attemps to save enough lixes on Origami Master.
I love Dangerous Goods. It was an excellent puzzle :thumbsup:

@kaywhyn
That's intended :thumbsup:
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2023, 09:52:15 AM »
And I played through updated NL levels 8-)

Brick or Treat
A-MAZE-ING Brick House Evacuation
Lemmings vs the Jolly Roger Pirates
Crossing Confusion Cross
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2023, 03:46:08 PM »
@Armani

Intended solution! Great job! :thumbsup: