Author Topic: I (finally!) played Lemmings Revolution  (Read 2294 times)

Offline samuelellis

• View Profile
I (finally!) played Lemmings Revolution
« on: September 29, 2023, 01:52:24 AM »
Just the first few levels so far. But man these controls are positively archaic. Even compared to previous Lemmings games there's something so... quaint about tapping the control button to zoom in, for example, or using the right mouse button to increase and left mouse button to decrease the release rate.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Re: I (finally!) played Lemmings Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 04:26:32 AM »
You'll get used to those weird controls soon. It's not a bad game really.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 12:31:54 AM »
Lemmings Revolution is a really good game, I'm currently playing lemmings 3d, I'm on level 76 of 80 which is not bad going. :thumbsup:

All the lemmings games I've played are really good.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 09:41:18 AM »
Lemmings Revolution is a really good game, I'm currently playing lemmings 3d, I'm on level 76 of 80 which is not bad going. :thumbsup:

All the lemmings games I've played are really good.

Good luck with the remaining 5 levels of L3D! :thumbsup: Of these, Mayhem 76 is the hardest IMO, as that one gave me the most trouble. Mayhem 79 was another one that I had trouble with.

Also, I don't know if you ever tried it, but namida developed an engine for L3D and custom packs for the game. It's called Loap, and is essentially like NL in that it's a great alternative to playing L3D on Dos/PS3 and has plenty of the same features as NL, such as framestepping, time skips, rewinding, etc.

You can download it here:

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5907.0

Now, I didn't grow up playing L3D. I played the game for the very first time two summers ago on Dos. I struggled a lot with the controls at first, but I eventually got the hang of it and was able to finish the game to the end. I definitely enjoyed it as I played it more ;) To be honest, after giving Loap a try for both Lemmings 3D Winterland and namida's Lemmings Plus 3D pack, it's going to be really difficult to go back to playing the game on Dos.  Loap is great, and namida did an excellent job with developing the engine.

Also, I have an LP of L3D on Dos if you like to check it out and compare your solutions with mine:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJuJwy0hXSuM-vucom5aK78M

I too can agree with the other Lemmings games being great, though to me L2 is so-so. It's not a bad game but it's also not a really good game IMO. I like Lemmings Revolution way more. The only official games I haven't played are L3 and Paintball. I would like to give the former a try sometime, after getting some clarification from Icho about the game, while the latter I might not even bother at all :XD:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 11:37:03 PM »
Revolutions is ace.

I'd love to build a clone engine if I had enough time/patience to do it. I wonder if it has 3D physics, or whether it's actually 2D physics but somehow "wrapped" around the central cylinder.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 03:10:42 PM »
Thanks Kaywhyn

I look forward to checking your solutions and comparing them to mine, :)  I'll need to try Namida's loap at some point as well, I like how there's a group that are into the lemmings 3d on the lemmings forum.  I noticed on one of the fandom pages that it was mentioning that lemmings 3d does seem very backroutable and I find that quite interesting. One of the solutions I found for one of the mayhem levels was I think I backrouted it big time, I won't mention what one as I don't want to give away any spoilers.  I'm still stuck at the moment, this is one hard level, I reckon I'm getting very close with the solution,  I'm going to avoid looking at the solutions to Mayhem Fun Fair at the moment  unless I get really stuck. :)

It does take a while to get used to the controls of lemmings 3d, I think the practice levels are really good at getting you used to the game, the levels of lemmings 3d are well designed just like all the lemmings games I've played.  I love the levels with the red sky and space levels do look nice as well. 

Oh no Mayhem level 79 sounds hard, nooooooo! 

Hi WillLem, I never thought of that, yeah lemmings revolution could be describe as 3d in a sense, The whole cylinder thing was a great idea for the lemmings game.  You are getting very good with doing the programming I hear.  I agree Revolution is ace.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 10:35:40 PM »
Revolutions is ace.

I'd love to build a clone engine if I had enough time/patience to do it. I wonder if it has 3D physics, or whether it's actually 2D physics but somehow "wrapped" around the central cylinder.

Just as a friendly tip: from ccx and at least one other person who began delving into the game in the past; it's apparently a total nightmare. Which isn't surprising how the game went through development hell and has glitches out the kazoo
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain