Author Topic: Replaying Feels Like Bug: Unobvious how to Cancel Replay  (Read 3865 times)

Offline The Mole UK

• View Profile
Replaying Feels Like Bug: Unobvious how to Cancel Replay
« on: April 14, 2023, 10:38:49 AM »
Is it me, or is this Bug 2?

When playing this level, if I select Bomber and blow a hole, then escape (because was expecting a timed bomber and you play this differently), when the level restarts, the action appears remembered and the Lemming comes out of hatch, walks a bit and blows up.   Followed by second if did that one also.  I don't think I am selecting Replay...

UPDATE: Appears to be a bug.  When playing the next level, the builder will do the same thing.  You have to quit to main menu and start over.
Hopefully we'll get a v12.12.5.1 to address, spoils a good source port.

Looks to me like ONCE you have selected something/escape, on Restart/Continue it goes into Replay mode.   If you did not click on something and escape, it starts normally.

Currently Lemmix and good ol' fashioned DOSBox are winning...  Lemmix V29 is very nicely done.

---

Original MSDOS...

With Holiday Lemmings 1993 Demo, I have observed that if I use my normal -v -o, the High Performance mode crashes.  Looking at VERSIONNUM as a password, it appears that DMA have noticed this, and so in Holiday Lemmings 1994 they have disabled the mode, rather than fix the bug in v1.91?  If I replace the Holiday Lemmings 1993 Demo v1.91 with the Xmas Lemmings v1.9 exe, problem goes away...

Not that it matters too much, as Holiday Lemmings 1994 v1.92 has these levels.

Also observed that whilst the SKIPLEVELS passwords (something else actually) are still in the code, they have disabled it in v1.91, v1.92.
Bah humbug.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 11:03:20 AM by mole973102 »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Replaying Feels Like Bug: Unobvious how to Cancel Replay
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 03:27:28 PM »
When playing this level, if I select Bomber and blow a hole, then escape (because was expecting a timed bomber and you play this differently), when the level restarts, the action appears remembered and the Lemming comes out of hatch, walks a bit and blows up.   Followed by second if did that one also.  I don't think I am selecting Replay...

This sounds like intended behavior to me as you were still in replay mode.

NL remembers your actions even if you quit the level and go right back in. In this case a red R should be in the bottom left.
If you want NL to forget all action simply do a left-click on the empty space of the level and all actions will be forgotten. This can also be done while paused.

This behavior is intended so you don't accidentally throw away all your actions when finishing the level accidentally. This can be extremely annoying for long or very complex levels.

I remember there being an option in the config menu for this - not sure though.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 04:01:06 PM »
The bug is then in the presentation. NL's UI expects you to click air, but it doesn't tell during play to do that, and this confused you to the point where you're considering to ditch NL. It's good that you posted this. Others may already have silently ditched NL for this reason.

This is a serious UI design problem.

-- Simon

Offline The Mole UK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 01:19:38 AM »
The bug is then in the presentation. NL's UI expects you to click air, but it doesn't tell during play to do that, and this confused you to the point where you're considering to ditch NL. It's good that you posted this. Others may already have silently ditched NL for this reason.

This is a serious UI design problem.

-- Simon
I had ditched it, but might check it out again tomorrow.  I thought it odd NeoLemmix has been on this version a while and no one noticing.  I'll check it out again in the morning...  The design says click Continue to Restart, and when I do, I ended up in Replay Mode as yes, noticed got a Red R.  So, to a newbie, it isn't very clear.  I'd also turned off shadows or something similarly named because I dislike guide lines.  Had to work that out too, but guessed be an option for that one.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 04:05:01 AM »
if I select Bomber and blow a hole, then escape (because was expecting a timed bomber and you play this differently)
The design says click Continue to Restart, and when I do, I ended up in Replay Mode as yes, noticed got a Red R
I'd also turned off shadows or something similarly named because I dislike guide lines

See this post, and this post.

Make no mistake: NeoLemmix is a great engine, I've been using it for years as my main go-to for playing Lemmings. But I too became frustrated with some of these features and so decided to make my own fork. It's a work in progress, but you might find it a better match for your particular preferences.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 06:31:39 AM by WillLem »