Author Topic: Level Design Contest #27 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 13946 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Level Design Contest #27 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« on: February 03, 2023, 04:07:31 PM »
All zips only need to be unzipped inside the main folder of your NeoLemmix or Lix Player!

Lix Level Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b4richjbp35ce0/Contest_27_Lix.zip?dl=1   

The Lix levels will then be in the single/Contests/Contest_27 folder!

NeoLemmix Level Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zfkaut5i5nybrt/Contest_27_NL.zip?dl=1

Music (NeoLemmix): https://www.dropbox.com/s/afez2rbubrwx9un/Contest_27_Music.zip?dl=1

Rule 1 Levels

geoo's "Hanabi" (V2)
Simon's "Inside Your Router" (V1)
Armani's "Primitive Instinct" (V2)
IchoTolot's "Internecion Cube" (V1)
NieSch's "Tomb of Doom" (V2)
tan x dx's "Garden of Love" (V4)
The Tomato Watcher's "Demolishing Old Ruins" (V2)
WillLem's "The Instrument" (V1)
kaywhyn's "Stop Blowing Up My Construction Work!" (V7)

Rule 2 Levels

geoo's "The Last Shall Be First" (V1)
Simon's "Bumper Cave" (V1)
Armani's "Natural-born" (V4)
IchoTolot's "Skyfall" (V1)
NieSch's "Splash or Splat" (V7)
The Tomato Watcher's "Expediency will be ENFORCED" (V4)
kaywhyn's "Swim Team Rush" (V7)
WillLem's "Direct Drip (Contest Version)" (V2)

Rule 3 Levels

geoo's "Pommes Schranke" (V1)
Simon's "Rhizome" (V3)
Armani's "Clown Fiesta" (V1)
Crane's "Mincemeat" (V1)
IchoTolot's "Supreme LEMCO Safety Standards" (V1)
NieSch's "The Magic of Lemmings" (V4)
The Tomato Watcher's "Lemmings are Beans" (V2)
Silken Healer's "Jumpstone" (V1)
kaywhyn's "Hero Time Again?" (V6)

You can check the rules details again here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6104.0

Playing Phase will be closed on 31th of March!
Updates will close on 28th of March!

Note: This topic is for posting your comments, replays, etc for the levels. If you wish to post an update to your level, or enter a late submission, please do so in the Updates Topic instead.

Link to update topic
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:16:27 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #27 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 04:31:00 PM »
Let the playtesting begin!

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 05:57:47 PM »
Yeah, let's go! Good opportunity to find out about Lix for me. :)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 09:26:24 PM »
Hello everyone, :)

I have uploaded my R1 and R2. Check the update topic for them, as well as for the music tracks. I still need to make my R3, so hopefully another day or so it'll be ready, but when it is I'll upload in the update topic as well.

Looking forward to playing these levels and seeing replay solutions to mine! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 10:12:24 PM »
solved 6 of the levels

1) all of Tomato watchers levels including his version 2 of Rule 2
2) Niesch's Rule 1 and Rule 2 levels
3) WillLems'  Rule 1

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 10:21:13 PM »
Hello everyone, :)

I have uploaded my R1 and R2. Check the update topic for them, as well as for the music tracks. I still need to make my R3, so hopefully another day or so it'll be ready, but when it is I'll upload in the update topic as well.

Looking forward to playing these levels and seeing replay solutions to mine! :thumbsup:

Music + Levels included in the zips from now on.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 10:49:17 PM »
Archive has replays for:
Expediency_will_be_ENFORCED v1
Expediency_will_be_ENFORCED v2
Mincemeat (twice, but similar)
Natural-born
Tomb_of_Doom
Splash_or_Splat

As loose files:
Pommes Schranke
Hanabi

-- Simon

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 11:11:34 PM »
I thought it was a good opportunity to give lix a try! 8-)

My first impression was that lix and NL are very similar so I got to enjoy it very much.
I especially had fun playing with runner skill. :laugh:

I probably have found some intended solutions and backroutes.
I attached replays for all lix levels!

@Simon Not quite intended :( At least the end part is good! I will make an update soon.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 01:36:48 AM »
Armani, all of Rhizome, Inside Your Router, Bumper Cave are intended. geoo and I had a hard time solving each other's levels, and you plowed through all of them on the first evening. Congratulations, excellent work!

Re-solved Natural Born v2 with a minimal adaption of my v1 backroute. I use all skills now. Nice!

Solved Clown Fiesta. I'll let geoo applaud. 8-)

Solved both of Kaywhyn's entries (Swim Team Rush, Stop Blowing Up). Of these, Swim Team Rush doesn't feel like it needs the time limit; the limit leads to unnecessary worrying near the end. Swim Team Rush has interesting and different uses of water, nice!

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 01:50:17 AM »
I went through most of the levels now (excluding the ones posted after the deadline), only missing Internection Cube (made some progress, but then moved on to stay in sync with what Simon was playing) and Magic of Lemmings (still don't have a good idea how to contain the crowd).

I think my favourites so far were Clown Fiesta (seemed completely impossible at first, a lot of interesting ideas to piece together, and yet the execution is easy and not much need for experimentation to see what works and what doesn't. Had a blast with this level.), Primitive Instinct (again, seemed impossible first and a lot of interesting observations to be made, but here a bit more experimentation was needed to determine how many builders are needed for what, and to discover that the lone flimsy root prevents building from the diagonal bar to the wall with 3 builders), and Skyfall (not hard to see what's going on, but somehow very elegant).
Splash or Splat seemed very interesting, but I might have skipped some of the intended steps; the Instrument was cute; Supreme LEMCO Safety Standard had a lot of interesting ideas to find but also a lot of fiddly placements and timings, felt super tight and I might have appreciated some extra leeway.

I especially had fun playing with runner skill. :laugh:

I probably have found some intended solutions and backroutes.
I attached replays for all lix levels!
Glad to hear that! I was afraid "The Last Shall be First" may be a bit frustrating due to all the timings to get right. This one and Pommes Schranke are intended, for Hanabi I released a small update to prevent one element of your solution.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 02:16:29 AM »
ericderkovits and Simon, all of your replays are horrendous backroutes, and I don't know why I'm surprised by that considering I got no useful feedback from anyone I asked to be a tester. If one of you is reading this, please know that I understand you have a life too and that I have no hard feelings; the situation just sucks.

My intended solutions felt a lot more clever so I'm not sure I can bring myself to make these backroutes the normal solutions, yet I have no idea how I'm going to patch any of these, ESPECIALLY my R3 which is the one I was most proud of. I'm not sure I'll ever have the energy to deal with backroutes this bad. I truly have no idea why I even entered with no tester feedback; I guess I was just excited. If I even bother to update my entries it's gonna be a while from now. Should not have spent my time and energy on this when I was already hanging by a thread. Sorry everyone :(

To contribute something of value now, I'll go ahead and put the replays I have here. Garden of Love was quite nice, tan x dx, and I enjoyed the concept Splash or Splat, NieSch, though my solution seems like a mild backroute(?)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 03:26:37 AM »
Mincemeat (twice, but similar)
Both are acceptable solutions - well done.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 07:08:21 AM »
@Simon @geoo
Hey thank you so much for the compliments! :thumbsup: I didn't expect that level to be a hit to be honest. Glad you guys like it. :laugh: Also I resolved updated version of Hanavi and this looks promising! I bet this is intended :laugh:

Both solutions to Natural-born is not yet intended. Btw, you can get over the second milla statue with only one stacker! You've been wasting one. ;P
geoo's solution to Pimitive Instinct is almost intended. Just a little bit of detail is missing.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 07:42:11 AM »
@Simon

Thanks for playing my levels and the replays! :thumbsup: Unfortunately, they are both backroutes.

R1 - For V2, added some steel and some traps. Pretty far from what I have intended

R2 - For V2, added some more terrain near the bottom where the stars/lattice are. You are right about the timer being a worry, but sadly I can't add in a few more seconds without opening up backroutes, and it's to block other alternatives that otherwise would had been possible while making only the intended route work, though that too currently is pretty tight on time. I could always make it less tight if the feedback I get from several others that it's too tight later on.

Thanks again and I will get to your levels and all the other ones at some point! ;) 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 08:58:33 AM »
Almost all* of the solutions to "Tomb of Doom" and "Splash or Splat" above are backroutes. I made updates to the levels to fix them. Thanks for playing! :)

*geoo and Simon: Your solutions to Splash or Splat where you manage to spare a few skills are still possible in V2. (But I might change this later. ;)) Well done! 8-)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 09:09:40 AM by NieSch »
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft