Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER] Player doesn't remember Auto-Save option for replays  (Read 2474 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
I enter this into the Auto-Save dialog under Replay Options:

{USERNAME}__{GROUP}_{GROUPPOS}__{TITLE}__{TIMESTAMP}|{USERNAME}__{TITLE}__{TIMESTAMP}

When I close and re-open NeoLemmix, it changes to:

Position + Timestamp

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Player doesn't remember Auto-Save option for replays
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 07:24:54 PM »
Is this on 12.12.5 or the new-objects exp (or both)?

I will note that if you enter a custom pattern that exactly matches one of the presets, ie:
- {GROUP}_{GROUPPOS}__{TIMESTAMP}|{TITLE}__{TIMESTAMP}
- {TITLE}__{TIMESTAMP}
- {GROUP}_{GROUPPOS}__{TITLE}__{TIMESTAMP}|{TITLE}__{TIMESTAMP}
- *{TITLE}__{TIMESTAMP}

NeoLemmix will display your setting as the relevant human-friendly preset name, not as the actual pattern. This is purely a cosmetic thing in the config menu. This is not the issue here (as your pattern does not match any of these presets) - although it may be related; there's a possibility NL is incorrectly detecting your pattern as a match - but I just thought I'd mention it in case you run into this while investigating.

Can you also confirm - does the setting:
a) get applied correctly, ie: if you enter this setting, then immediately play a level and save a replay, does it use your setting?
b) get preserved between sessions, ie: if you enter this setting, then exit and re-start NL (without going into the config menu), then play a level and save a replay, does it use your setting?

This will narrow down whether it's an issue with the config menu (and to some extent, where the issue is within it) or with the underlying settings themselves.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Player doesn't remember Auto-Save option for replays
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 03:46:22 PM »
Is this on 12.12.5 or the new-objects exp (or both)?

Both.

Can you also confirm - does the setting:
a) get applied correctly, ie: if you enter this setting, then immediately play a level and save a replay, does it use your setting?

Yes.

b) get preserved between sessions, ie: if you enter this setting, then exit and re-start NL (without going into the config menu), then play a level and save a replay, does it use your setting?

Yes, and the setting is remembered after closing and re-opening NL multiple times.

After some investigation, it seems that going to the config menu, changing something (anything), and then pressing "Apply" reverts the Auto-Save option to "Position + Timestamp."

I've also noticed another issue whilst testing this: NeoLemmix always loads the last level played when starting up, even if the level was completed successfully. This seems to defeat the object of loading any level at all, since the player must access the level select menu (or use the cheat key) to continue with the next non-completed level (assuming they're working their way through a pack). Perhaps it should load the next non-completed level? I don't know if this is a bug or whether the behaviour is intended, I just thought I'd mention it in case it's unintended behaviour.

(If it is indeed a bug, then I'll start a new topic for it).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:19:23 AM by WillLem »