Author Topic: Level Design Contest #25  (Read 6616 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Level Design Contest #25
« on: January 23, 2022, 12:13:43 PM »
Welcome to another contest of the Lemmingsforums! This time the three rules have been picked by tan x dx and myself for winning contest #24.

A few words to new participants and forum members: If you haven't entered before, I strongly encourage you to try - even if you don't win, it's fun to participate; and we have had cases where first-time entrants have won before! There are three choices of rules given, you may enter one level for EACH one of the rules.
You may either use new format NeoLemmix, or Lix.
If you have more than one entry, they may (but do not have to) be for the same engine. Please make sure you tested your level for basic solvability before submitting and be sure to also submit any custom tileset you are using, so others have no problem playing your level. ;)

Pre contest testing: You can choose 1-2 persons who do a bit of pre-testing for you, so that the biggest backroutes and screw-ups of your levels can be detected before the playing phase. I cannot control this so it's only a guideline, but still I would prefer not everyone knows every level before the playing phase starts. ;)

Here are the rules on how the submission deadlines work:
- Initial submission phase deadline will extend such that it's 72 hours from the time of the last submission, up to the 5th submission (inclusive). After this it no longer changes no matter what.
- Update phase deadline will not extend over the initial dead line!
- Even if you missed the cutoff date for the initial submission phase, late entries are accepted until the update phase ends. There is no penalty for a late entry, beyond that people are less likely to spend as much time on the level before voting begins.

And here is the new ruleset:

Rule 1: The A-Team (by tan x dx)

Create a level with some small number of preplaced lemmings.
Each preplaced lemming must be preassigned different permanent skill(s). Athletes are allowed, but triathletes and further are not.
No two lemmings may share the same permanent skills. So the maximum lemming limit is determined by the distribution of permanent skills.
A single normal lemming is allowed.
Any number of neutrals/zombies are allowed.
Cloners are not allowed.

Rule 2: Minimalism (by tan x dx and slightly twisted by Ichotolot)

Create a level with 10 or fewer terrain pieces and with 10 or fewer objects.

All terrain pieces count towards the limit, regardless of how they are used - so eraser pieces count as well.

Resizing objects like water and updrafts is ok.

Rule 3: Object of desire (by IchoTolot)

Create a level that depicts a physical object with the help of terrain pieces and objects.
The object should be the main part of the level, but other smaller additions are allowed as long as it still follows the spirit of the rule.
An example would be a level that shows a big clock.
You can also create a set of objects like a bowl of fruit or a set of tools.
The chosen object in the level needs to be used by the intended solution of the level in a meaningful way. ---> It can't just be ignored and lemmings must interact with it to solve the level.
The rule can be interpreted similar to "19R2 - Make a level whose terrain spells your username" but this time with a physical object of your choice.

- I will be leniant to any corner cases not listed there, that don't go totally against the spirit of the rule. So I won't disqualify a level over smaller details. If you want further clearance to a detail regardless, I will make a clear call and add it here. Also if you are unsure if your level/idea mets the criteria, do not hesitate to ask!

Submission phase ends March 31th 2022 at 00:00 UTC.

Ruleset in detail again: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2246.0

Send me a personal message with your level/s and if needed tileset/s to participate. It would also be nice to also tell me the rule which each level satisfies.

Please use the following naming format:  User1_Levelname_R3V1.lvl ---> Level "Levelname" by User1   for Rule 3   Version 1 of the level

Prize selection:
- US $5.00
- One month's advertising on the forums news ticker
- Pick next contest's rules

Entries so far: 23

tan x dx (2)
Armani (3)
Crane (1)
DireKrow (3)
WillLem (3)
Apjjm (2)
IchoTolot (3)
Kingshadow3 (3)
The Tomato Watcher (3)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 03:58:42 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #25
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 06:11:39 PM »
Some rules questions.

Rule 1
- Are you allowed to include any hatches, or are the preplaced lemmings the only ones allowed?

Rule 2
- I assume only official styles are allowed for this, to prevent people from trying to use large custom made terrain pieces.
- Does the 10 object limit include any hatches and exits?
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 06:59:41 PM »
- I assume only official styles are allowed for this, to prevent people from trying to use large custom made terrain pieces.

I believe VGASPECs are not allowed for both rules 2 and 3 but you can use any tilesets that use multiple pieces in its levels.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 07:11:56 PM »
Some rules questions.

Rule 1
- Are you allowed to include any hatches, or are the preplaced lemmings the only ones allowed?

Rule 2
- Does the 10 object limit include any hatches and exits?

Rule 1:

- Only pre-placed lemmings allowed.

Rule 2:

- The custom styles are allowed except VGASPECs which are forbidden. Let's say again: Stay within the spirit of the rule here. I will exclude levels which specifically missuse those giant terrain pieces you are worried about.
- The limit also counts in hatches+exits. So you need to be careful with those as well.

I also clarified rule 3 a bit. ;)

"You can also create a set of objects like a bowl of fruit or a set of tools."

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 07:03:47 PM »
some questions ???

Rule1:
No two lemmings may share the same permanent skills.
Is cloner allowed? Obviously you can get multiple lemmings sharing the same permanent skills with cloners.

Rule2: Can I freely use terrain pieces as erasers or do they count towards the 10 terrain pieces limit?
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 09:42:22 PM »
For rule 2 I would say that eraser pieces count towards the limit.

Rule 1 would by tan's call, but personally I would tend towards no cloning.

Discord quote from tan x dx:

I think cloners are not allowed for rule 1, as each lemming should be unique
As for rule 2, each instance of "$terrain" in the level's file counts towards the limit, regardless of how it is used

Offline Kingshadow3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 02:03:40 AM »
One more thing I'd like to ask for Rule 2. For objects, do resized objects such as updrafts or water violate anything?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 07:11:28 AM »
One more thing I'd like to ask for Rule 2. For objects, do resized objects such as updrafts or water violate anything?

Resizing objects is ok.

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 11:51:00 PM »
For rule 3, would multiple objects also fit this rule? To take the example in the overview could a level feature multiple clocks (or copies) as long as they featured in the level in some meaningful way?
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 05:21:21 PM »
For rule 3, would multiple objects also fit this rule? To take the example in the overview could a level feature multiple clocks (or copies) as long as they featured in the level in some meaningful way?

Yes, I would count this as a "set of objects" like described in the rule description. :)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 02:35:36 AM »
can I use the example (big clock) :P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
can I use the example (big clock) :P

Of course! :)

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 05:24:41 AM »
Levels submitted. Good luck to the competitors. Looking forward to playing what other people come up with.
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 09:59:29 PM »
Just a little bump to remember you to work on your entries. ;)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 08:18:48 AM »
Thanks for the reminder. I still haven't started mine yet :XD: