Author Topic: General Loap progress discussion topic  (Read 19333 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Re: Loap - A Lemmings 3D clone
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 08:30:33 AM »
This is looking great!

For some reason I'm getting a bit motion sick from the way the full-height type background moves though, and I don't remember this happening to me in the original game. :lix-sick: Other than that, things are looking good so far.

Do you have any plans for the camera movement? Will you try to replicate the keyboard movement from the original game, or come up with something a bit more modern/intuitive? Personally I always imagined Lemmings 3d would be great with modern fps game controls; you move with WASD, raise and lower with space and lctrl, point at things with your cursor and just click and assign skills to lemmings. Think minecraft creative mode controls. :lix-tongue:

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 01:50:16 PM »
And one last thing for today. :D

https://youtu.be/p2UZSeVu-Mg

This one looks really good :thumbsup:

With the "in space" one, the stars seemed to remain stationary so that it was the level itself that was rotating rather than the camera... is this intended? The "blue sky" ones move around as the camera moves instead.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 07:10:52 PM »
This is looking great!

For some reason I'm getting a bit motion sick from the way the full-height type background moves though, and I don't remember this happening to me in the original game. :lix-sick: Other than that, things are looking good so far.

Do you have any plans for the camera movement? Will you try to replicate the keyboard movement from the original game, or come up with something a bit more modern/intuitive? Personally I always imagined Lemmings 3d would be great with modern fps game controls; you move with WASD, raise and lower with space and lctrl, point at things with your cursor and just click and assign skills to lemmings. Think minecraft creative mode controls. :lix-tongue:

The original game doesn't allow you to pitch the camera upwards. But you're not the only person who doesn't like my workaround, so I guess I need to come up with another approach...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 05:09:16 AM »
The block structure is now rendered in full!

https://youtu.be/2GYQvbWrPKE
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 07:35:15 AM »
I added a level select menu. A very, very hacky one for now, but it at least means I can jump between levels without having to restart and recompile Loap every time.

Also, while the menu itself is hacky and shitty, the underlying code (ie: the parts that would generalize to all menu screens) are not. I'm developing them based on a similar model to NeoLemmix's menu screens (on the technical side, I mean, not necesserially the visual side), as once the foundations were all in place that was really easy to work with and customize the menus, add elements, even integrate hotkeys.

https://youtu.be/8ZYZL6a0IGc
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 08:34:39 AM »
Today's achievement is the preview screen.

https://youtu.be/4VmB3zOtsyo

I've unfortunately found some situations where the render ordering is giving some awkward results. I do have some ideas for how to improve the algorithm to deal with this, but the ones I've already tried have not had good results - some are minor improvements but not enough to justify the performance impact, others just failed altogether. I have just now thought of yet another one - while I can never be sure until I test it, I have high hopes for this one's visual results but strong concerns about what the performance impact might be.

There again, I've already spent a lot of time on this, and the current result isn't awful (just has some oddities in certain cases), so perhaps I'll spend more time working on other aspects. I feel like implementing exits is overdue...
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 09:12:48 PM »
Rendering issues are still being a pain in the ass. I've got blocks pretty much perfect, but lemming sprites aren't working quite as well just yet.

This video shows both some examples of the issues lemming sprites are having, as well as the latest feature I've implemented - splitters.

https://youtu.be/CZgdWJRWLwo
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 10:25:30 PM »
Exits are now working. Code is also in place to identify which lemming is being clicked on, which has made it possible to actually solve some levels now (specifically the Climber and Floater levels from the Practice rank) - with the caveat that the "assignment" isn't a true assignment, in particular it's not limited by the skillset, it's just "if you click a lemming, it becomes both a climber and a floater".

Still, this is probably the point at which I'd say this finally, to at least a slight extent, counts as playable.

https://youtu.be/w5rrsW9A0n0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:31:03 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 10:45:54 PM »
As I've mentioned on Discord, my current thought is that I will release the first test version when the following features are supported (on top of what's already supported):
- Enforcing the skillset
- The Blocker and Turner skills
- No-effect objects (ie: OBJ.xxx and ANIMOBJ.xxx)
- Postview screen

This should allow the following levels to be solvable:
- Practice levels for Blocker, Turner, Climber, Floater, Virtual Lemming and Splitter
- Official Fun 11 "It's A Classic"
- Official Tricky 33 "Shadow Maze"
- Official Mayhem 66 "Family Tree"
- LP3D Fun 6 "Indoor Maze"

(There are a few additional levels that provide, but don't require, Bombers on top of the above. These should also be solvable provided you don't make mistakes.)

Not much of course, but it's a start.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 02:31:37 AM »
Well, we can tick off one of those requirements now - the skillset is now enforced!

https://youtu.be/GVgrHwOFqgU
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 04:56:26 AM »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 12:14:35 AM »
And another! (There's also a couple of other new things that weren't preconditions for a test release in this vid, too.)

https://youtu.be/uDmc7tKyFPE

This just leaves...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...before I can consider a test release.

Also, on further thought, I'm actually seeing no real reason why a postview screen is necessary for a test release, so let's strike that one off too. It's still of course a todo in general, but not a condition for a test release. The other remaining thing still needs to be done first, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 12:59:28 AM »
No new features, but a few levels I haven't shown off before.

https://youtu.be/Ylp_zfcvOzY

"Alilemms" from the official game, "Blazing The Trail" from LP3D, "Jelly Climber" from the official game, and "The Arena" also from the official game. The first and third aren't completely correct at this stage, the others are better.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 05:07:06 AM »
And we have turners now!

https://youtu.be/RmdB5pNLYGM

As mentioned, I will put together a demo release - and the key word really is "demo", as in "demonstration" (ie: don't expect to play many levels on it) - very soon. There's a couple of bugs I feel I may as well iron out first, and I also want to add a proper version number somewhere in-game just so that all release versions clearly indicate one. I'll likely work on this either later tonight or early tomorrow.

However, I have decided that I will immediately move this to open-source. Currently there is no licence specified, but if this did matter to anyone, I intend to put it under the MIT licence. The source code can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/namida42/loap/
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: General Loap progress discussion topic
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 03:55:33 AM »
My Lemmings projects