Author Topic: Lemmini  (Read 19577 times)

0xdeadbeef

Lemmini
« on: June 27, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
Ok, yeah well, then let's start anew.

Please note that there's a complete revision history on my site.

Fixes/changes 0.73 -> 0.74 (27.6.2006)
#  Fixed GIF extraction bug introduced with 0.72 that would make areas transparent if they had the
   same color as the transparent color (but a different palette index). This especially affected
   fire_16.gif and (due to strange level design) created garbage in levels 0061 and 0061b
   ("If only they could fly"/"Down, along, up. In that order").
#  Changed skill one text to "You finished all the <skill> levels!"
#  Drowning sound was missing in crystal set due to a typo.
#  For the last few bricks, builder uses "ting" sound (like unassigned skill) instead of "chink"
   (like hitting on steel).

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmini
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 06:29:01 PM »
For anyone who doesn't know: http://lemmini.de/

Anyway, I'm still requesting 1) full-screen mode (if possible), 2) style-specified lemmings animations, 3) and a different method of handling the special levels.

1)  Is this possible in Java?
2)  For example, if I made a Lemmings 2 Beach style and I wanted the Lemmings to look like beach-bums.  Styles should be able to specify which lemmings animations to use just as levels specify which style to use.
3)  I realize this seems like a lot of work for nothing, but I think the special graphics should be specified by a "special=specialgraphicnamehere" instead of using a seperate style.  As of right now, it isn't possible to play special levels in CustLemm packs, whereas this would make it possible (in a roundabout sort of way).

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 07:02:36 PM »
#1 - yep, this is completely possible and top of my "to do" list. But it needs some major rework and I didn't find the time to start this yet. Maybe end of july, when I get my vacation.

#2 - This is also on my list. Creating the right animations will have certain restrictions though. The question also arises who is willing/capable to redraw all hires lemmings to Summer/Xmas style.

#3 - I don't really get it. You can define our own styles. Define a special style and you can use it.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 12:17:49 AM »
#3 - I don't really get it. You can define our own styles. Define a special style and you can use it.
The special style contains a very limited number of object (and of only one style).

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:36:36 AM »
Sure, because this "special" set is only used to implement the 4 special levels from the Amiga version missing in the Win95 version. There are not other objects in this style because there ARE not other objects.

If  someone whises to use a special styles with more object he can simply create his own style specialXXX and put any object in he wants to.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 04:46:32 PM »
Fixes/changes 0.74 -> 0.75
#  On MacOS, the screen menu bar is supported.
#  Red dots representing lemmings in the mini map didn't show on MacOS (probably gfx/image update issue of JVM).
   Fixed by drawing everything (also explosion particles) in the gracphics object and nothing in the image
#  When loading a level manually, the music track chosen is random.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 08:04:59 PM »
I still see that the framerate at the beginning of a level is too high. After a few seconds it slows down to the normal speed. I mentioned this earlier (on the dead forum).
Does anyone else see this? Or is this only on my machine?

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
Did you have a look at the CPU load? Is it very high at the beginning of the level?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 08:47:27 PM »
Yes, it is about 100%.
After that it becomes about 35%

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »
CPU usage on my machine is deathly high on the intro screen(s)... everything is fine while playing levels.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 08:37:46 AM »
A bit off topic :)
But did anyone ever notice that the superlemming level is called
"Inroducing SUPERLEMMING" instead of "Introducing SUPERLEMMING".
Has anyone ever noticed this obvious typo?

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 02:22:24 PM »
Yep, I did. Decided to keep it due to authenticity. I think it was also wrong on the Amiga, wasn't it?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 03:39:20 PM »
I noticed that when I first played the level on the Mac version  :cool:

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 05:56:26 PM »
About this high resolution christmas-lemmings animations for Lemmini: I think I will be able to create them automatically, with some fancy-named scaling-algorithm.
But it will not be tomorrow :)

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 08:02:52 AM »
There are some clever scaling algorithms like Eagle and derivates which smooth edges, but if you compare upscaled animations to animations designed to be hires, there will be a big difference.
Also there will be some manual work to do, especially determining the foot position for each animation and creating the descriptor file.