Author Topic: Traps, Traps, Traps! In Lemmings DS, DS, DS!  (Read 7683 times)

MattKamineko

Traps, Traps, Traps! In Lemmings DS, DS, DS!
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:04:40 AM »
Hi folks!

Sorry I haven't been around much... busy with Lemmings DS, an' all!

The three most wanted things in Lemmings DS it seems are:
- Wireless multiplayer support.
- Support for traps.
- All the original, holiday and OMNL levels.

I can't do anything about the first one: I'd love to just slap in the two-player mode from the Amiga version, it wouldn't even be that difficult (OH-HO! Famous last words, eh? :laugh:)... but I can't do anything until ad-hoc wireless stuff is written for the DS. Nothing I can do at all.  :(

As for traps, there's plenty I can do. I've got the whole traps system figured out in my head, and it's gonna work, damnit! If my devious plans are correct, all I need are the trap graphics themselves. Some time ago, a kind soul sent a zip file to me full of all the original Lemmings and ONML terrain graphics as 256 colour, properly numbered PNGs. Absolute mega kudos to you, and the very, very patient person who put that set together! If there's a second set of graphics for the traps lying about somewhere... that would be most helpful. :tongue: Failing that, any info on what traps there are, and where they can be found would be helpful also. (Although, it won't be easy getting enough lemmings to the trap to clear the surrounding terrain to make captures possible. (On account of my being a bit poo at Lemmings))

Once the trap system is in place, the convertor will be 100% finished, and all Lemmings for Windows LVL compatible levels will convert like clockwork. It's almost complete as it is, I just need to run through all of the terrain styles and fix any pieces or objects that are knocked out of alignment. I've been using rt's level format document as a reference, but there's a couple of flags that I don't understand: On my conversion of Tricky 22, "Turn around young lemmings!", there's no water running along the bottom of the level. Is there a flag for this?

Cheers,
MK

PS. Almost forgot! Wip DLDI Lemmings DS can be found here. Download it, and DLDI patch it to the DS card you're using. Doesn't seem to work on R4 due to some technicality... working on it!

Edit 2 -
*RIP*  ( ... or something like that)

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/lem_object_gfx.zip
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/lem_terrain_gfx.zip

I... ah... found exactly what I was looking for... in the same thread as the one where I found what I needed last time. Damn it Mindless, you must be going back in time and setting all this stuff up for me!  :shocked: I'm just going to get some duct tape and tape myself to the chair until I've finished this.

See y'all in a bit.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Traps, Traps, Traps! In Lemmings DS, DS, DS!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »
I've been using rt's level format document as a reference, but there's a couple of flags that I don't understand: On my conversion of Tricky 22, "Turn around young lemmings!", there's no water running along the bottom of the level. Is there a flag for this?

No, the problem is that they omitted many of the water objects in DOS and Windows version of Lemmings, so if you got your LVLs from those versions of the game you won't see the water in many many places.

I believe Mindless had at some point ripped the Amiga version's levels, which are identical to the DOS/Windows set but without any missing objects.  They use the same LVL file format.  I don't remember where he uploaded those levels though.  Alternatively, if I have time later tonight I can also give you the set of levels from the Mac version which I believe should also be identical to the Amiga set (and it also uses the same LVL file format).

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »
I believe Mindless had at some point ripped the Amiga version's levels, which are identical to the DOS/Windows set but without any missing objects.  They use the same LVL file format.  I don't remember where he uploaded those levels though.

All the links are in this thread.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:52:48 PM »
Or you can use my corrected version of Lemmings in the Lemmings File Portal.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

WNivek

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 09:40:49 PM »
I seem to recall, though, that the 'corrected lemmings' reduced the number of lemmings in many levels, as the 100 lemming maximum available on the Amiga was greater than the 80  lemming maximum on the PC

MattKamineko

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 09:00:48 PM »
Hiya again! :)

I have a request... the objects in lem_object_gfx.zip don't seem to have constant palettes (that's constant palettes across a terrain theme, or constant palettes across any given objects)...

Does anybody have a version where the palettes are constant per object? It would really help, as I've got the Lemmings DS formats and code for trap, hazard and other stuff worked out, but I can't convert anything properly if the palettes jump about from frame to frame.

(It's strange, the palettes remain constant through the sets in lem_terrain_gfx.zip... )

Cheers,
MK

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 09:37:17 PM »
If you use the BMP version of the graphics, it looks to me that you will get a constant palette per theme across all terrains and objects.  I'm guessing that the program Mindless used to batch-convert BMPs to PNGs probably does not preserve palette information but instead auto-generates it from the bitmap pixels.  The game definitely uses a constant palette per theme.

MattKamineko

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:33:26 AM »
That's... a very good idea.  :thumbsup:

MattKamineko

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:13 PM »
Here we go, folks, try this: DLDI enabled (and Slot-1 compatible) trap and hazard test Lemmings DS test rom:thumbsup: