Author Topic: Lemmini  (Read 19724 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: Lemmini
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 05:03:06 PM »
I think there always will be difference between automated and human design :)
But at least it would be a beginning. The graphic scaling library I'm using for Lemmix has some scaling procedures, with which I will create the animations (after my holiday in France, before it I am trying to upgrade to Lemmix 0.0.4).
I'm already busy with Lemmini-support, so creating the descriptor file is easy.
Footpositions will be the same as your originals (afaik).

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »
I've noticed that in the latest version, if you try to assign the brick laying skill to a lemming that's already laying bricks, the "chink" sound is played.  In the Amiga version no sound is played at all when this happens.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »
Hm, I didn't change this though lately. All actions that can't be assigned produce the "chink" sound.  The only thing that I changed lately regarding builder and sounds is that I exchanged the brick laying sound itself since some people complained it was the wrong one.

Anyway, I wonder which sense it makes to play a "denial" sound for almost every actions that can't be performed, just not for one. I tried to keep everything as general as possible.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 06:12:44 PM »
Actually, I don't think the Amiga version plays a sound for any denial.  :shocked:

Edit: Neither does the DOS version.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 08:23:40 PM »
Only the Win95 version does to my knowledge...

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 09:50:21 PM »
And is that so bad? I don't think it's a bad thing to be informed that something went wrong...

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 05:08:47 AM »
In case you're interested in making Lemmini more Amiga-ish... I've ripped the Lemmings levels from the Amiga (so we get the lava under "All the 6's" for example).
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/amiga_lemmings_levels.zip

I should have ripped the ONML levels too. :(  I'll see if they're in the same format, but it'll take a while to figure out how I ripped the files off the disk.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 05:53:06 AM »
I figured it out faster than I thought I would... http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/_misc/amiga_onml_levels.zip

Oh, and the 2-player levels are in both of the level sets. :P  Mayhaps ccexplore will enjoy those. :D

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 06:26:22 PM »
Problem is that I extract the levels from the Windows version. If I would take the Amiga levels instead, this would make the whole idea of resource extraction a little pointless.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 09:33:13 PM »
Problem is that I extract the levels from the Windows version. If I would take the Amiga levels instead, this would make the whole idea of resource extraction a little pointless.
I thought the main reasons to extract the resources were a) a legal fallback and b) because extracting graphics saves a lot of bytes.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 01:38:19 AM »
Thanks Mindless!  :thumbsup: These are really easy to patch over the DOS ones. There are a couple of boggling glitches (for instance, "We are now at LEMCON ONE" now has a giant vertical stack of drawOverTerrain'd water objects to the left of the entrance), but I suspect that's just my dodgy binary diff method being clever.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 03:04:59 AM »
Thanks Mindless!  :thumbsup: These are really easy to patch over the DOS ones. There are a couple of boggling glitches (for instance, "We are now at LEMCON ONE" now has a giant vertical stack of drawOverTerrain'd water objects to the left of the entrance), but I suspect that's just my dodgy binary diff method being clever.
That is quite strange, it's a problem here too... either the Amiga version has a slightly different rendering engine or there's a problem with the ByteKiller decruncher.  I suspect the second... what I've seen of ByteKiller hasn't been very stable.  I'll see if I can figure this out.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 03:38:05 AM »
Interesting.  How similar/different is ByteKiller compared with how DOS compresses the levels?

Also, if you can find Amiga's analog of "main.dat", see if you can find the mask for basher, which if I recall is slightly different from the one in DOS.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 12:40:19 PM »
Interesting.  How similar/different is ByteKiller compared with how DOS compresses the levels?
I don't really know since I'm using the decruncher on the Amiga to decrunch it.

Also, if you can find Amiga's analog of "main.dat", see if you can find the mask for basher, which if I recall is slightly different from the one in DOS.
There's a file simply called "main" - it wasn't crunched and it's 28kB.  I don't have time to do much of anything right now. :(

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 11:02:35 PM »
Now that I've looked at "We are now at LEMCON ONE", it appears that it's either a problem with the emulator, a problem with the disk dumper, a mistake on DMA's part, or a purposeful addition to the level (it looks somewhat like liquid is flowing out of pipes.)  The level appears the exact same way in every disk image I've checked... it always has the water over on the left.