Should the text color be even darker?

Yes
1 (20%)
No
3 (60%)
No preference
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Dark Theme is now available.  (Read 9927 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Dark Theme is now available.
« on: August 15, 2021, 03:31:59 AM »
Select it here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick

Please report any problems you find, and feel free to suggest improvements.

Known issues:
- Post numbers (in users' post history) are very hard to read
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:43:42 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Dark Theme is now available.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 06:59:22 AM »
Pushed some improvements live. This makes the post / etc backgrounds match the colors above / below them, improves the color of "Quote" headings where no link applies, and fixes the unreadable text color inside spoiler tags. You do not need to re-select the theme or anything to get these changes.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 02:50:31 AM »
Pushed another update, which fixes the Child Boards list. As usual - this update will apply automatically, you don't need to "opt in" to it.

This leaves no known issues at this point - however if you've noticed any, please report them, and if you have any suggestions for changes, feel free to give them.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 01:35:38 AM »
The dark theme is looking great :thumbsup:

One suggestion might be to have text input boxes (such as reply composition) to also be light text on a dark background.

Another would be to mute the colours slightly more so there's less of a stark contrast between the writing and the background (for instance, Discord uses a light grey rather than full white for text). If your happy to let me see the hex codes for the dark mode I'd be happy to play around with it and make more specific & demo-able suggestions if that would save some time.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 07:21:40 PM »
I can trial the light-on-dark edit boxes, sure. I'll look at that next time I work on improving the theme.

The hex codes aren't exactly secret information. They're in the CSS file, and you could of course use a color-picker on a screenshot to retrieve them - indeed, I'd be using one of these two measures if I went to make a list anyway. :P

That aside, I've found another minor issue - the color of the "this topic is locked" popup when someone who can reply anyway tries to do so.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 10:46:03 PM »
They're in the CSS file

Hmm. Is that the thing where you go to "Developer Tools" or hit "Inspect" on a webpage?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 10:39:29 PM »
Decided to try it out a bit, and 2 bits of feedback I have:

The background on quoted text could probably be a bit darker; it's a bit hard to read currently.
It's a bit hard to see the difference between the icon for when there are unread vs. read boards (it's still doable, of course, but could be better). I'd suggest upping the transparency for read boards in dark mode.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 06:24:00 AM »
They're in the CSS file

Hmm. Is that the thing where you go to "Developer Tools" or hit "Inspect" on a webpage?

Not directly, but that is another way you could get the codes (and try out changes to them).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 12:40:55 AM »
Pushed several more fixes / improvements live.

One thing I raised on Discord - I'm considering, once the theme is no longer a beta, making it the default. To avoid any doubt, the other themes (SMF vanilla, and Lemmings light) would remain available. Thoughts?
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 01:08:47 AM »
Nice improvements re: quoted text, blue writing, the fact that the reply box now inverts the colours, and the general theme itself now looks slightly more cohesive than before :thumbsup:

The general site text seems to be DDDDDD on 222222 - nice move, this is much better.

However, I'd go so far as to suggest CCCCCC or even AAAAAA as the text colour (222222 is great as the background).

For posts, the background seems to be F0F0F0 text on 1F3224. I'd suggest taking this text down to CCCCCC (or even AAAAAA) as well. It's a subtle difference but does soften the effect of the contrasting colours in dark mode.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 07:56:39 AM »
An issue I just came across is that if code blocks are used,

Code: [Select]
(these things)
you can't read them unless you highlight the text.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 10:48:48 PM »
I have now fixed the issue with code blocks.

As it seems no other issues remain, I am now declaring this to no longer be Beta. I'd like to consider making it outright the default theme (the light theme would remain available) - is there anyone who thinks this would be a bad idea, and if so, any particular reasons?
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 11:52:16 PM »
I still think the white text could do with softening down a bit, and the background slightly lighter. With that, a vote for Yes for Dark Mode to be default.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 01:07:10 AM »
^ Does anyone else think the text color should still be darker?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2021, 03:37:49 PM »
I noticed that in the posts history of a member (show posts) the odd numbers are only barely visible or only visible when marked.