Author Topic: List of Objects that need to be changed to "Paint" objects  (Read 7355 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
List of Objects that need to be changed to "Paint" objects
« on: July 08, 2021, 02:52:59 PM »
Just to keep track and to make sure we do forget as little pieces as possible I decided to create and update a list of objects which primary use is "only on terrain" as those need to be changed to the new "paint" type soon.

Be sure to post any tiles I forgot to mention in this topic so I can add them to the list!

List of objects that will need an update to the paint type:

- L2_shadow: 2 x animated windows
- L2_egyptian: 1 x sphinx eyes
- L2_outdoor: 1 x Blinking bush eyes, 1 x  animated spider eyes
- L3_biolab: laser trap upper part
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:22:48 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: List of Objects that need to be changed to "Paint" objects
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »
Noticed that the mona lisa in "dex_lr2_mona" had a winking eye animation, so I added it to the list here. :)

Also a little reminder to tell me if there are other not already covered objects so they can be added to the list. ;)

Offline 92Dexter11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 05:21:57 PM »
Hi IchoTolot,

The lemrunner styles have all already been updated to use the paint object where applicable. In particular, the mona_wink object should already be set to paint.
Please confirm that you have the latest version of the style packs and let me know if there are any issues. :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 09:22:38 PM »
Oh yes, it is already set to paint!

Nevermind then, I was just going through some styles on the look for objects that were meant to go on terrain. :)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 11:07:53 PM »
How does the "paint" object type work? In what way does it differ to the "background" object type?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 04:01:09 PM »
I believe they were a replacement for Only-On-Terrain, a setting that was used in the DOS/Lemmix days which caused an object to be shown if and only if it is overlapping terrain (pixel-by-pixel). This setting could be applied to any object. But in practice, it was almost exclusively used for one-way-walls.

A few levels in the original game use it for decoration, but it's not many (and not in the DOS version). I can think of two off the top of my head, namely Fun 20 (We are now at LEMCON ONE) and Mayhem 7 (Poles Apart) (they use the same layout). I'd have to play through the Amiga version again to see if there's any others that use it, but this particular instance can be replicated using resizable water objects. In the DOS version, the setting does not render properly (specifically, the colors get messed up) when used on arbitrary objects, but it's hard to say if this is a bug or not -- the DOS version culls a lot of decorative terrain/objects anyway, and thus it's possible that they only considered one way wall objects when they designed the DOS implementation (perhaps they could make it perform better that way).

If I remember correctly, the Paint setting was a designation for decorative objects that are intended to be used with the Only-On-Terrain tag, with the intent being that those objects would become paint objects and then Only-On-Terrain would be culled. OWW in NL have had the behavior for a while out of the box with no need for the tag, and on other functional objects the Only-On-Terrain tag would probably be considered a bit of a troll to make use of it.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 02:33:36 AM »
This is more of a custom thing, but I've seen levels where the Christmas lights are used "only on terrain" to make a large Christmas tree decorated with lights.  Granted this could be supported by having two light objects: a regular one for a hanging decoration and a paint one.