Author Topic: Lemmings All The Styles  (Read 4531 times)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
Lemmings All The Styles
« on: May 14, 2021, 04:46:48 PM »
At last I bring you all the styles  165 levels of varying degrees of difficulty each level in a different style

see development thread https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5076.0 for preview images
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:48:32 PM by mantha16 »

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings All The Styles
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 12:33:56 AM »
has anyone played and have any kind of constructive feedback

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »
I've enjoyed a few levels. I been bouncing around too many level packs to really focus on just one.but so far I like it.

I like the medium-hard levels. Not the really tough ones.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »
I've got so many level-packs on my list. I don't like playing different packs at the same time - unless I'm totally stuck. Which is not the case with Lemmings World Tour I currently play, but since this pack is really huge, it still takes time to finish it. But I'm really looking forward to play my first of your packs after that.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 07:05:42 AM »
I've enjoyed a few levels. I been bouncing around too many level packs to really focus on just one.but so far I like it.

I like the medium-hard levels. Not the really tough ones.

Do I have really tough levels? if so I'd be interested in which ones you think are super hard

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 07:06:39 AM »
I've got so many level-packs on my list. I don't like playing different packs at the same time - unless I'm totally stuck. Which is not the case with Lemmings World Tour I currently play, but since this pack is really huge, it still takes time to finish it. But I'm really looking forward to play my first of your packs after that.

thanks when you're ready all the styles is probably my best pack, its hard to know if I am biased though cos it was such a large project.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »
Taking a break from lemmings stuff at the moment but this is definitely on my to-do list :thumbsup: :lemcat:

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »
Having finished Lemmings World Tour today, I started Lemmings All The Styles. All my solutions can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vidusaka/videos

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »
thank you swerdis I hope you stick with it not the most difficult of packs but some levels I'm quite proud of a few troll levels a few builder fests something for everyone or no one lol

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 03:38:36 PM »
backrouted the heck out of a couple of them but i like your solutions so im not changing the levels lol

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »
And that's just the beginning :-) Most of them are pretty difficult considering that it's just the first rank. But I will bite my way through.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
well I generally haven't sorted them into difficulty levels so you shouldn't see much of an gradient some will be easier some more difficult but I don't think too much more difficult

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 09:05:32 PM »
ATTENTION ALL

Swerdis' videos have highlighted an error in a level, please find the amended level for sms marble you don't need to re-download the whole pack just put the attached level into the levels folder of all the styles and overwrite the existing one

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2021, 08:21:04 PM »
Hi Mantha,

Yeah, I've done it today and completed Lemmings All The Styles, the second-largest pack I ever played. Much shorter than Lemmings World Tour, slightly longer than SEB Lems when I didn't miscalculate. Your pack was a much quicker solve though, since it's far easier, which is not automatically a bad thing. Moderate packs are needed, this seems to be common sense here and I agree with it.

So, how would I rate your pack? It's not among my favourites, that's for sure, but it's a decent one. At the beginning I had my problems with the missing level names, but in retrospect I think this was the right decision - because this way, the focus is more on the style itself. The constant difficulty curve was another thing. I found the first levels to be pretty hard and I think I could never make it to the end, but then things went easier and easier. I would go as far to say that the final rank is the easiest. But maybe that's because I realized that you got some  trademark-tricks that you use over and over again - which makes things a bit repetitive from time to time. These are almost always connected with the new skills, such as filling small gaps with stoners or reducing splat height with stoners as well. As you've already seen (and commented) I found tons of backroutes which made some levels ridiculously easy. A good example for this is End 46 (Dr Who). I also don't understand the purpose of cloners in your pack. I almost always used them in the end to maximize the number of saved Lemmings or to fill up the losses.  But there was never a necessity to duplicate a basher, miner or builder.

I also found some mistakes:

- at least one style is missing. There was no Lemmings 2 Medieval level

-I couldn't find a difference between Middle 12 (Death Egg) and Middle 18 and between Middle 17 (Lego) and Middle 19. These seem to be duplicates, so I omitted the latter two.

-Some later levels have no author names, but I don't know if that's intended. The first one is End 24 (Bassett Temple). Others are End 45 (Electric) and End 53 (Official Special).

-Strato Incentus is spelled wrong, as well as "Lemminas"

Despite my critical notes that are many good and some really great levels in this pack.

Here are my comments for the three ranks:

Start:

Start 3 (Marble): This deserves mention because it is, in my opinion, the first good level of the pack. I normally don't like floating exits, but here it's part of a really decent puzzle.

Start 25 (Shadow): A tricky one and one of the best levels in the rank, too. Took me while to bring things into the right order.

Start 32 (Purple): For me, the hardest level in the first rank. Took me almost forever because nothing worked.

Start 34 (Clockwork): Not that difficult, but I like how the Lemmings almost automatically distribute into the three exist. Good level design here.

Start 51 (Garden): A typical example of a level that looks easy, but was the opposite. A roadblock, for me.

Middle:

Middle 6 (Agony): Nice symmetrical level design. Also on the harder side of the rank, it provided me some headache.

Middle 8 (Starlight): If my solution is the intended one, this would probably be my favourite level of the entire  pack.

Middle 16 (Honeycomb Addon): Sparse design, still surprisingly difficult.

Middle 24 (Cyberspace): This is a tough one! For novice players things could well be over here.

Middle 26 (Gore): Was a roadblock for me too, but mainly because I followed the wrong idea for a much too long time. Still not sure if I found a backroute.

Middle 29 (Toys): Hard and annoying. Doesn't give much leeway, too.

Middle 38 (Dread): Nice visuals here. Finding the right spots to bomb can be hard, too.

Middle 41 (Hideout): One of the most annoying levels of the pack. The solution is quite obvious, but the execution leaves almost no room for mistakes.

Middle 45 (Starport): A massive level which looks intimidating - but wasn't THAT bad in the end

Middle 53 (Tundra): Easy, but very nice concept. I dig this one.

End:

End 1 (Xmas Bubble): Good one, though I think the skillset could really be limited here to make the puzzle even better.

End 9: (Factory): By far the hardest level of the final rank. To get the distance between the Lemmings right took me ages. Maybe I missed something important here to make things easier.

End 14: (House): Looks peaceful, is a nice puzzle. I got nothing to criticize here.

End 15 (Fantasy): Using stackers to reach a higher plattform seems to be another key trick of you :-) This level makes excessive use of this. I like how the snail and the car are embedded between the bars and help the Lemmings to spare stackers. Apart from that, this tileset was unknown for me and is now among my favourites. I love the theme and the colours.

End 18: (Brick Droidlings): Is easy only if one has played other packs that make use of this trick. The floaters could well be omitted to make the puzzle better.

End 19 (Circuit Droidlings): The four Droidling levels are all good, but this is the best one. Especially because the solution is well-hidden and other ways (which are not possible) seem to be more promising at first.

End 21 (ISWorld): A mediocre level, but: My favourite tileset from my favourite level pack. End of the story.

End 32 (Angel Island): I love Two-Lemmings-Levels and this one is a fantastic example. Beautiful!

End 33: (Chaos Island): The name is program here. Horrible.

End 45 (Electric): Very nice concept here. Took me a while to figure out.

End 47 (Tech): Micro management at it's best. But in contrast to End 33, this is a GOOD level because it's not just pure randomness, but designed with some thought behind it.

End 49 (Instruments): Took me longer than I thought, mainly because I didn't take the long way around for serious for a very long time.

Thanks for reading this and I think I will play Samming on day, too. Normally I play the older packs of a specific designer first, but in your case, it's the other way round.

Have a nice evening, Swerdis.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:26:20 PM by Swerdis »