Author Topic: SuperLemmini development  (Read 1960 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
SuperLemmini development
« on: May 05, 2021, 02:51:49 AM »
It's been nearly a year since Tsyu was last on the forums, so I want to look at taking over development of SuperLemmini.

I don't wish to do this on my own though, since Java is very difficult and ideally I need someone I can bounce ideas off, work closely with and share the weight of the project.

If anybody on here is up for offering to collaborate with me on this, we can work together to make SL the best engine it can be.

Otherwise, I'll probably just continue to wait and see if Tsyu shows up, which is beginning to seem unlikely.

To be clear: I have no intention of doing anything for at least the next few months anyway, since I have other projects I'm working on as well as irl stuff that needs attending to. I just want to put the feelers out at this stage and see if anyone is capable and/or interested in getting on board and helping me with this, if it does happen.

Regarding permission: SuperLemmini is an open-source project, and the code is freely available on the download page. With this being the case, I see no harm in starting a new version of it; the old version would still be there should Tsyu ever wish to continue development on it. So, please - don't waste topic space with comments about permission. If I see that there's a reply, I'll be hoping it's someone offering to help :)

Related topic: SuperLemmini Wish List
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:04:55 AM by WillLem »

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini development
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:15:53 PM »
That's something I'd really like to do but I'd feel too guilty, even if it's open-source. On the other hand, I don't want to see this project going to waste, it still has so much potential! I really hope Tsyu is okay and is eventually going to work on SuperLemmini again some day, but it sounds like a dream at this point... :(

I can't really help you on the programming part for now, but I have several books on JAVA so, that might guide me in the future... maybe? Sorry if I am not of much help.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 09:25:23 PM »
FWIW, if you are going to go down this road, it might be better to fork rather than take over (unless you get Tsyu's agreement). Or in other words - use the code as the starting point for your own engine under a new name, much like SuperLemmini itself forked from Lemmini, or NeoLemmix did from Lemmix, etc.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 10:05:01 PM »
That's a great idea Namida. I would feel less bad in that case. :)

It's still gonna be hard for me to quit using SuperLemmini if that project is going to come into fruition, I got attached to it.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:28:20 AM »
Hmmm OK. I just think SuperLemmini is a nice catchy title for it, but I see what you mean.

Definitely up for a collab if you're interested Lana, we can learn together. Let's take it a step at a time and just come up with a name for the project first (we can always change it later if necessary) :lemcat:

EDIT: I like Lemoshi. Here's what I found as a meaning for "oshi" in Japanese:

I feel like it fits because SL is mostly liked by fans of the original games, and we're now pushing the platform forward to be even more suitable for that purpose, and even more supportive of that ideal. I also like that the word is nice and soft, like a marshmallow :lemcat: @Lana if you agree, we can go ahead with Lemoshi as a working title.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:32:03 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 06:35:23 AM »
OK, Tsyu has finally reappeared and expressed an interest in continuing to develop SuperLemmini. In all honesty, this has come as a relief! SL is of course well-established enough to have its own speedrun.com page (albeit thanks to me pestering for that to happen ;P), so - it would have been a shame to have to rename the project anyway.

I will continue to learn Java anyway simply because I'm interested and I want to get into programming. And Tsyu, if you'd like some help with SL development, I'm more than happy to get involved :lemcat: