Author Topic: [SUG] Built-in level editor  (Read 2040 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG] Built-in level editor
« on: May 05, 2021, 02:39:53 AM »
In this talk by Mike Dailly, you can see that the DMA team used an integrated level editor to make levels on the Amiga, enabling them to switch between "Edit" mode and "Play" mode on the fly.

If SL ever gets its own level editor, I'd suggest it be implemented this way, ideally toggleable via a hotkey.

What I'd imagine is that, similar to what's in the video, the skill panel/minimap area gets replaced by an editor interface, and the level area can be interacted with directly. This implementation means that making minor tweaks is a breeze.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:52:26 AM by WillLem »

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Built-in level editor
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:48:12 PM »
It's not a bad idea, but that would mean that anyone can modify the level they are playing on the go, no? ???

Personally, I would be more comfortable with a separated program, something like the NeoLemmix Editor. :D

On a side note, I have a minor wish that's not really related to the potential SuperLemmini level editor, but to SuperLemmini in general. I really wish that the engine would support wallpaper backgrounds, that's something I'm envious of NeoLemmix, because single coloured backgrounds are starting to feel too empty. There are background integers for SuperLemmini but I'm too dense to make it work properly... There's always the good old trick of using an object as the background but it's not really intuitive.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 09:27:08 PM »
On a side note, I have a minor wish that's not really related to the potential SuperLemmini level editor, but to SuperLemmini in general. I really wish that the engine would support wallpaper backgrounds, that's something I'm envious of NeoLemmix, because single coloured backgrounds are starting to feel too empty. There are background integers for SuperLemmini but I'm too dense to make it work properly... There's always the good old trick of using an object as the background but it's not really intuitive.

SuperLemmini itself supports having a background layer, which just contains regular terrain pieces (so you could create a large terrain piece to use as a wallpaper-type background, which would be more efficient). The old NeoLemmix Editor never added support for this though, so there is currently no editor that can handle this - you'd have to edit it into the level file manually.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:55:07 PM »
SuperLemmini itself supports having a background layer, which just contains regular terrain pieces (so you could create a large terrain piece to use as a wallpaper-type background, which would be more efficient).

I know that, and I already tried but, because I'm dumb, I couldn't make it work properly.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:26:54 AM »
It's not a bad idea, but that would mean that anyone can modify the level they are playing on the go, no? ???

Personally, I would be more comfortable with a separated program, something like the NeoLemmix Editor. :D

OK. Maybe the Editor could have a "Test" mode or something, then. I basically like the idea of being able to flick between Play and Edit whilst creating a level.

I really wish that the engine would support wallpaper backgrounds

SuperLemmini itself supports having a background layer, which just contains regular terrain pieces... there is currently no editor that can handle this - you'd have to edit it into the level file manually.

I know that, and I already tried but, because I'm dumb, I couldn't make it work properly.

Hmm. Could you send me the level and the background image, and I'll see if I can get it to work. The image would have to be set to Index 0... not sure how it would be "ignored" as terrain, though...

Incidentally, what's wrong with having the image as an object in the background?

I've added "background images" to the wish list in the meantime.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:12:30 AM by WillLem »