Author Topic: NES Lemmings  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
NES Lemmings
« on: January 22, 2021, 08:14:41 PM »
As part of the ongoing project to restore, and fix any lingering issues, in the NL conversions of official Lemmings games, I am looking at Ron Stard's conversions of the unique levels from NES Lemmings. Since I'm not familiar with this port at all, I decided that the best thing to do was to play through it from start to finish.

The NES version has quite a few unique levels, and also a lot of changes to familiar levels. So in many cases it's a judgement call as to whether a particular level is different enough from the Amiga/DOS version to be worth including as a separate level in the level pack. So I'm going to look at every level and compare it to the original. This will also serve as an overview of which levels were included and what changes were made, which might be of interest to anyone who doesn't have time to play through the game for themselves :P

NES Lemmings, level by level (click to show/hide)

(to be continued...)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:22:17 AM by Proxima »

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: NES Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 10:10:12 PM »
Following this thread with interest

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:31:23 PM »
yes, alot of the nes levels are quite different. I also played (in the past) the nes lemmings using the fceux 2.2.3 emulator and the nes lemmings rom. I really don't care for the nes version mainly because while paused I couldn't change skills, so alot of the levels were very hard to solve this way. Also the builder steps being built were at a higher slope.

probably my favorite lemmings game using emulators is PSP lemmings using PPSSPP. Also the PSP music is random in the levels. so in your PSP neolemmix levels I would use the music that suites the level the best.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
Thank you for revisiting these recreations I made some years ago.

NES Lemmings is an awful port, but there are some interesting levels intriguing enough to consider them true classics. The undisputable best of them is Hello John Got A New Lemming, a brilliant puzzle whose title is a pun on a famous british pop song. Other fine levels are A Spot Of Bother, its sequel Is That Lemming Licensed?, and Lemming And Lime (although I prefer Speed Trap from ZX Spectrum Lemmings, because it shows that there is no need to add traps to make a level difficult). Iced Lemming is an interesting 1 Lemming level, which may be hard for the newbies, whereas its sequel Come To Lemming County is somewhat easier, but implies precision. There's also another unique level called Arctic Lemming, but it's easy. There are another one or two levels with diamonds as stepping stones, à la Hunt The Nessy, which also exist on the ZX Spectrum, but they are also quite easy.

Maybe you would like to revisit also the ZX Spectrum Lemmings, I think I did conversions of almost every different enough level, except the last one (Enviromentally Friendly, I think, a sequel to Watch Out, There's Traps About, but without traps).