Author Topic: Level Design Contest #22  (Read 8468 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Level Design Contest #22
« on: December 17, 2020, 02:39:32 PM »
Welcome to another contest of the Lemmingsforums! This time the three rules have been picked by myself for winning contest #21.

A few words to new participants and forum members: If you haven't entered before, I strongly encourage you to try - even if you don't win, it's fun to participate; and we have had cases where first-time entrants have won before! There are three choices of rules given, you may enter one level for EACH one of the rules.
You may either use new format NeoLemmix, or Lix.
If you have more than one entry, they may (but do not have to) be for the same engine. Please make sure you tested your level for basic solvability before submitting and be sure to also submit any custom tileset you are using, so others have no problem playing your level. ;)

Pre contest testing: You can choose 1 person who does a bit of pre-testing for you, so that the biggest backroutes and screw-ups of your levels can be detected before the playing phase. I cannot control this so it's only a guideline, but still I would prefer not everyone knows every level before the playing phase starts. ;)

Here are the rules on how the submission deadlines work:
- Initial submission phase deadline will extend such that it's 72 hours from the time of the last submission, up to the 5th submission (inclusive). After this it no longer changes no matter what.
- Update phase deadline will not extend over the initial dead line!
- Even if you missed the cutoff date for the initial submission phase, late entries are accepted until the update phase ends. There is no penalty for a late entry, beyond that people are less likely to spend as much time on the level before voting begins.

And here is the new ruleset:

Rule 1: The Traditionalist

Create a level only using a single original/oh-no tileset. --> No tileset mixing and no VGASPECs! Also no backgrounds!

You can only use the original 8 skills from Lemmings 1 and only original object types: Hatch, Exit, endless trap, fire, water, left/right OWWs.

Also, no locked RR other than 99 and no RR under 50!

No vertical scrolling allowed! I am willing to give a tiny bit of leeway here as an NL screen can display a bit more than the standard 160 pixels of old and scrolling is entirely dependent on the zoom factor. So I'll let it slide if it's at max ~180 px in heigth. I mostly want to prevent clear vertical levels.

That means no pick-up skills for backroute fixing as well!

The only exception: You are free to have unlimited time. ;)

Rule 2: The Innovator

Create a level using a custom tileset or tilesets that was/were not based on or used in Lemmings 1,2 or 3! Also, no VGASPECs!

You must not use any of the 8 original skills or objects! This results on you having to rely on locked exits and pre-placed lemmings! (hatch/exit limiter is not enough here!) Also no water, fire, endless traps and left/right OWWs. Even if you plan only using them for decoration. ;)

The RR can be set freely as you want.

Fixes shall not violate these rules!

The only exception: You are free to have a time limit. ;)

Rule 3: Triple Trouble

Create a level that uses all 3 types of lemmings: Lemmings, Neutrals and Zombies!

All 3 types must be used in a meaningful way to the intended solution. ---> I won't let a level slide that just fills a water pit with zombies instead and calls it a day or closes them in a cave outside of the real level. ;)

Basically the zombies shall not be used like a static fire/water object that just needs to be avoided. Again, your zombies shall not just serve like a fire/water object in disguise. I want to see them being free or need to be set free so the movement part gets used!

Submission phase ends Februrary 7th 2021 at 00:00 UTC.

Ruleset in detail again: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2246.0

Send me a personal message with your level/s and if needed tileset/s to participate. It would also be nice to also tell me the rule which each level satisfies.

Please use the following naming format:  User1_Levelname_R3V1.lvl ---> Level "Levelname" by User1   for Rule 3   Version 1 of the level

Prize selection:
- US $5.00
- One month's advertising on the forums news ticker
- Pick next contest's rules

Entries so far: 31

- rtw (3)
- The Tomato Watcher (1)
- ericderkovits (3)
- Armani (3)
- Crane (2)
- WillLem (2)
- Gronkling (1)
- Dullstar (2)
- IchoTolot (3)
- Nessy (1)
- Flopsy (3)
- ShmoLems (1)
- NieSch (1)
- Silken Healer (1)
- Proxima (1)
- kaywhyn (3)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 04:05:16 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #22
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »
These look like rules that I can definitely manage for my first foray into level designing! None of them sound too complicated :thumbsup: I bet Rule 1 will bring some form of nostalgia to the long-timers of maybe using the Custlemm editor when most here were creating their very first levels from years ago.

A couple of questions:

For R1, would you say there should be a map size limit as well? More importantly, yes or no vertical scrolling?

For R2, just to make sure the only classic objects allowed are an entrance and of course the locked exit? Or is it saying no entrance at all?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 07:01:07 PM »
For R1, would you say there should be a map size limit as well? More importantly, yes or no vertical scrolling?

No vertical scrolling in R1. Added that. Horizontal anything goes.

For R2, just to make sure the only classic objects allowed are an entrance and of course the locked exit? Or is it saying no entrance at all?

No entrance at all, as the hatch was an original object type -->  "This results on you having to rely on locked exits and pre-placed lemmings!"

The locked exit is not an original object type as the lock was added in NL.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 07:43:06 PM »
You may either use new format NeoLemmix, or Lix.

None of the rules can be satisfied in Lix. The closest spiritual match is Traditionalist, but Lix doesn't load L1 tilesets.

-- Simon

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »
None of the rules can be satisfied in Lix. The closest spiritual match is Traditionalist, but Lix doesn't load L1 tilesets.

For the R1 case I would then say that the tileset choice in Lix doesn't matter.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 01:39:14 AM »
What's the stance on using steel in Rule 2?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
What's the stance on using steel in Rule 2?

Steel I count towards normal terrain and is allowed.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 10:47:06 PM »
Again, just as a reminder for rule 3.

Your zombies shall not just serve like a fire/water object in disguise. I want to see them being free or need to be set free so the movement part gets used! ;)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 06:44:29 AM »
These rules look interesting! My experience with the New Skills Challenges last year should help me with Rule #2. I've created several levels years ago that fit Rule #1.

As for Rule #3, I think I'll upload Crane's LSC #6 level found in my signature and make this my own submission. :P (Only kidding, but this is just an example level that fits this rule)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
Very interesting rule set :thumbsup:
Especially I'm looking forward to see what people come up with rule1. :D

Just one question :
Rule 2: The Innovator

Create a level using a custom tileset or tilesets that was/were not based on or used in Lemmings 1,2 or 3! Also, no VGASPECs!

You must not use any of the 8 original skills or objects!

What about pre-placed climber, floater or blocker?
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 02:28:19 PM »
What about pre-placed climber, floater or blocker?

They are skill part of the original skills. So no to that. ;P

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
ok cos my brain is fried at the moment cos of things can I ask if someone can do me a list of the skills/styles that are orig so I need which things I can use in each level thank you

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 10:36:54 AM »
ok cos my brain is fried at the moment cos of things can I ask if someone can do me a list of the skills/styles that are orig so I need which things I can use in each level thank you

Original skills: climber, floater, blocker, bomber, builder, basher, miner, and digger

Original tilesets: pillar, marble, crystal, fire, dirt

ONML tilesets: brick, bubble, grass, snow
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
Someone beat me to it, but I finished typing it and also included information about L2/L3, so I'm going to post it anyway.

Original game skills:
Climber, Floater, Blocker, Bomber, Builder, Basher, Miner, Digger.
Rule 1 must use this set; Rule 2 must avoid this set.

Original sets:
Dirt, Pillar, Marble, Crystal, Fire
Oh No sets are also allowed by rule 1:
Brick, Bubble, Rock, Snow

L2 and L3 sets are banned for both Rule 1 and Rule 2. These are:
Do not use in Rule 1 or Rule 2: (click to show/hide)

No vertical scrolling is a bit vague since this can be dependent on zoom settings, but I assume these means keep the default height of 160 pixels, even though many (most?) screens will accept a slightly larger vertical size.

---

Apparently this contest is near-entirely NeoLemmix only, though Lix does have some L1 inspired sets. It may be a good idea to allow just enough object usage in Lix to create a valid level (i.e. one entrance, one exit), as these concessions for Lix would allow 2 of the 3 rules to be possible in that engine, while the third rule just can't really be made to work in Lix in any meaningful way.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 11:35:52 PM »
thanks both