Author Topic: Server move, again  (Read 2722 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Server move, again
« on: December 09, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
So - in the interest of keeping the site on a fairly up-to-date platform, as well as taking into account new learnings in the area of web hosting in general that I've had over the last two years (in particular, the existance of VirtualMin which is extremely convenient for managing web hosting), I'm going to be moving the site to a new server again.

This means the forum will be offline at some point. This should be a very short time - I have already put measures in place that will let me switch it over far quicker than DNS records usually propagate, so I expect the forum will only actually need to be offline for a few minutes. There's no specific time in mind other than "when I get to it", and that I'll try to do it at a time the site is fairly inactive. However, I expect to get this done within the next 24 hours.

I will be updating the site to SMF 2.0.17 during this, too.

Nothing will be lost or changed as far as average users, or even moderators, need to be concerned. This is not setting up a new site (like when we moved from .com to this iteration), it's just moving this same existing site onto a new hosting server.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Server move, again
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »
NeoLemmix.com has been moved successfully, and all has gone well with a test run of the migrate + update for LemmingsForums.net. I'll be doing the actual migration next time the site looks a bit on the inactive side (or sooner, if that's taking too long).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 08:57:15 PM »
The move didn't go quite as smoothly as planned, but only to the extent of "the quick switchover didn't work and it took normal propagation time" + "notification emails weren't working right away" (but should be now).
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 10:10:44 PM »
Thanks, namida! :thumbsup: