Author Topic: Giant Anteaters  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Giant Anteaters
« on: November 29, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »

Today is November 29, it's World Anteater Day.

The Giant Anteater is a lovely, huge mammal with a bushy tail and a distinct fur pattern. There are other anteaters, e.g., the Silky Anteater, but this post is only about the Giant Anteater.

The first thing to realize is that this is a single animal. This is not two or three animals, this is a single animal. The front legs have white, long fur with black spots, they look like the head of another animal. The black triangular fur stripe behind the neck, again, makes it look like there are two animals here, one in front of the other. But no, this is all a single Giant Anteater.

The latin name for the Giant Anteater is myrmecophaga tridactyla, literally three-toed ant-eater. The toe claws are massive. These claws pry open the sturdy mounds termites or ants, so the anteater can get to its food.

Because the toe claws are so big and sharp, the Giant Anteater will walk on its knuckles. The claws are angled inward, apparently at 45 degrees. This protects the sharp claws. Apparently, the anteaters don't mind too much -- they can jog reasonably fast even on their knuckles.

Knuckles (from Sonic) is an echidna, not an anteater. Likewise, aardvarks (Erdferkel in German) are not anteaters (Ameisenbären). Aardvarks live in Africa, anteaters live in South America. Nonetheless, both aardvarks and anteaters feast on ants and termites.

The tongue grows 40 to 50 cm long. When the termite mount has been pried open, this sticky tongue goes inside and slurps the tasty bugs. The entire tongue moves in and out the mouth several times per second.

Baby anteaters crawl on top of their mom and hold on tight.

Mom will travel around her territory and search for food, all while the baby is riding along on her back.

Anything fluffy will qualify as a mom in a pinch!

At bedtime, the huge bushy tail becomes a blanket.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:15:50 PM by Simon »

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: Giant Anteaters
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »
i love them :cute: so long and fluffy
Their cousins are lovely too. Not as fluffy but they make up for it by looking like theyre wearing an overall

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
Right, the Tamandua, also very cute, thanks! I should learn more about them.

-- Simon

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 06:35:13 PM »
Fun fact: Here in Germany we call them ant bears (Ameisenbären), even though they don't seem to have anything in common with bears. ;)

I assume Simon knows, because he's German, too. Just for the others to know! :D

Apparently there was even a German combat plane in World War II named "Ameisenbär", because of its long nose.

Also, I just realised that ants would make a great species for a Lemmings clone game as well. With great anteaters as a possible trap. :thumbsup:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels