Author Topic: New Skills Experimental Build (V7)  (Read 3003 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
New Skills Experimental Build (V7)
« on: November 21, 2020, 12:21:30 AM »
Please use V12.12.0-RC to test the new skills.

Alright - here we go! Over the last eight months we've had discussions about a potential "final new skill", which after a long time was narrowed down to four candidates - additionally with the "only one will make the cut" restriction dropped. Since then, the decision has been made for two skills - Slider and Laserer - to be added to NeoLemmix, while the other two (Grenader and Spearer) were ultimately rejected.

Finally, it's time to get hands-on! So I've prepared an experimental build which includes the four two proposed new skills, and a compatible editor - let's see how this goes.

We've got:
- Slider: A permanent skill. When walking off an edge, the Slider will "dehoist" onto the wall and slide down while facing towards it, rather than falling.
- Spearer: Causes the lemming to throw a spear, which sticks into whatever it hits, creating a platform for other lemmings to use.
- Grenader: Causes the lemming to throw a grenade, which has an effect like a bomber, except circular, wherever it hits.
- Laserer: Causes the lemming to fire a laser, which creates a 45 degree tunnel, much faster than other destructive skills and with moderate range.

Earlier experimental builds restricted the user to use of the official styles only, and had a killswitch which would make them stop working after a certain date. As of build V7, these restrictions are no longer in place.

The implementation should not be considered final. Physics may change. Graphics will change. The laserer will get a skill shadow. Bug fixes will occur.

This should be set up as a fresh installation. You may copy content from an existing installation, but take care not to overwrite the "default" style!

Download: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=500

Aside from the new skills, this build has the same features / etc as V12.11.2.

For general discussion of the skills or to share levels: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5215.0
For bug reports / suggestions, please make a new topic, making sure to include the [PLAYER] and (as appropriate) [BUG] or [SUG] tags.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:43:35 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: New Skills Experimental Build (V3)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »
Uploaded a new version, V3 (in-game: V12.11.0:8E313DB).

Changes:
- Is now based off V12.10.1 instead of V12.10.0 (editor remains unchanged)
- Fixed a bug where Grenader or Spearer, could not be assigned to a lemming who is currently a Basher or Laserer

I included the above physics fix because of its simplicity and that it was an obvious oversight, rather than a questionable "what should happen here?". I will look at the more complex matters re: Slider-Swimmer bug and throwing through walls/low ceilings over the weekend.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: New Skills Experimental Build (V4)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 03:39:28 AM »
Uploaded a new version, V4 (in-game: V12.11.0:817705B).

Changes:
- Fixed a bug that occurs when Sliders or Dehoisters hit water where they have moved an even distance from when they begun sliding / dehoisting.
- Fixed the ability to throw projectiles through walls / low ceilings (though, akin to climber, thin very low ceilings are still allowed).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: New Skills Experimental Build (V5)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 11:50:57 PM »
Uploaded a new version, V5 (in-game: V12.11.0:BE89149).

Changes:
- Upgraded base version from V12.10.1 to V12.10.2.
- Laserer now has more-limited range, but no time limit (only terminating if no longer removing any terrain, or if terrain underneath feet is removed).
- Grenader destruction mask is now circular (retaining existing width, while reducing height).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: New Skills Experimental Build (V6)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 01:12:41 AM »
Uploaded a new version, V6 (in-game: V12.11.0:8276279).

Changes:
- Upgraded base version from V12.10.2 to V12.10.3.
- Grenader destruction mask is smaller.
- Slider will now slip (cleanly) into small gaps, and will only turn away from a wall at the bottom if the wall connects with the ground.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: New Skills Experimental Build (V7)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 10:21:53 PM »
Uploaded a new version, V7 (in-game: V12.11.2:08228FB).

Changes:
- Basically remade from scratch, using V12.11.2 as the base, and only including the two skills that are making the cut. Therefore, assume it is possible that some old bugs might resurface - report them if they do.
- Removed the Grenader and Spearer.
- No longer has the "won't work after certian date" killswitch.
- No longer has the "official styles only" restriction.

No physics bugs / etc have been fixed yet. Also note that the editor has not been updated, so it still has Spearer / Grenader fields - they'll simply be ignored once in-game.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 10:40:42 PM »
Reuploaded V7 with an updated (V1.37) editor. Nothing is changed except for the editor - if you already have the V7 exp (in-game: V12.11.2:08228FB), you can simply download the updated editor attached to this post.

This version of the editor now uses Editor V1.36 as a base, so has all the newest fixes / etc. Additionally, the "normal" layout and captions for various buttons have been restored, and the Slider / Laserer are in their correct places on the skillset tab rather than at the bottom.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 01:44:15 AM »
There will be no further updates here as V12.12.0-RC is now released: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5594.0

Please use that to test out the new skills from now on.
My Lemmings projects