Author Topic: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Medium – Hard]  (Read 30339 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Medium – Hard]
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »
Thanks kaywhyn : for most of the levels, you found the solution intended. :thumbsup:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2021, 10:34:54 PM »
Marathon rank completed, and thus the entire pack is solved. My entire replay collection for the pack is attached ;) Honestly, the Marathon levels were kind of a middle ground for difficulty, as some I found quite easy, others hard. I was definitely worried when you said that some of them are quite hard, but some of the hardest ones weren't that bad.

400 metres 23 : Ah ! I just fixed the "false steel" issue for the next update.

Oh yes, thanks for this, as I wanted to remind you in the feedback, but it's clear that you've already seen my LP. I found it super odd, especially since I haven't seen any case where the steel can be destroyed in New Formats NL.

Ah, yes, good point! ;)

Overall, excellent work with the pack, especially with many of the designs! :thumbsup: It's very clear that you put in a lot of effort to make the levels very visually appealing, and you certainly have a very high taste in artistic quality. It was quite satisfying from start to finish figuring out all the various challenges throughout the pack, and I've enjoyed it a lot. I certainly had my moments of being a dummy on many of the levels, but ah those eureka moments on many hard levels were a great feeling. Of course, I think you have seen that I have solved not only a lot of level packs, but also some of the hardest difficult level packs, including United, Lemmings Plus Alpha, SEB Lems, and Lemmings Open Air.

Have fun fixing the backroutes, and I definitely look forward to more content from you if you decide to make more levels or another level pack :thumbsup: Keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:40:44 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2021, 08:59:33 PM »
Thanks kaywhyn, I'm glad you liked this pack (though, I'm sorry to have exhausted you ! :laugh:), I really like following your reasoning in LP, I find you very patient and very talented, you know how to solve complicated problems quickly, even if, sometimes, you get stuck on "simple" problems ;P. Well done ! I'm appreciative ! :thumbsup:

My feedback on the Marathon rank :

So, I decided to do a lot of small updates. It must be said that I have two bad habits :
1) When a skill is used a lot in a level, I very often round up to a higher number divisible by 5. For example, I will put 20 builders while the resolution of the level only requires 17. :forehead:
2) I often add unnecessary skills, but I realize that players use them to solve levels more easily (backroutes !). :-[

In this pack, the levels using OL's designs were created a long time ago ; therefore, some of this puzzles aren’t very interesting ! Also, there’re some levels that I had to transform because they used rising water and radiation/glaciation ; these changes weren't easy to make.

Here are the fixes made in the new update :

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2021, 09:55:22 PM »
Glad you enjoyed my LP of your pack, David! :thumbsup: I apologize for the extremely long lengths of many of the videos, though. I'm one of those people where I if I'm on a roll with solving several levels in a row, I generally keep the momentum going. However, this has the drawback in that I would be doing good on time, decide to tackle another, only to find that I'm on a level that manages to give me a hard time. Quite often, it's difficult to tell if a level is going to be difficult just based on the preview screen.

Also thank you for the replays. Indeed, your solutions on the 3 levels you attached are so much easier than mine :XD: Many of your levels may be small, but they're deceptively difficult for the most part. Plenty of them had me going, "I'm a skill short" :laugh:

Thanks kaywhyn, I'm glad you liked this pack (though, I'm sorry to have exhausted you ! :laugh:), I really like following your reasoning in LP, I find you very patient and very talented, you know how to solve complicated problems quickly, even if, sometimes, you get stuck on "simple" problems ;P. Well done ! I'm appreciative ! :thumbsup:

Don't be, it's not your fault :P It's just that I've been playing so many difficult packs/levels lately and been recording a lot of LP videos of me solving that I generally burn myself out, when I've told myself that I could definitely take it slower on the uploading of videos and also take my time with going through a level pack. If anything, these levels were a good kind of challenging, and I love a good challenge with the many difficult levels in this pack ;)

Thanks for the compliments! :thumbsup: Indeed, you'll be amazed at how even the simplest of things can sometimes go over one's head and unnoticed for a while and when you finally do realize the linchpin that can help you solve a level, then as a solver you wonder why you didn't "see" it before/earlier. I was a dummy on so many of the levels here, but hey, there'll always be levels like that when one is solving :laugh: Again, I think the big reason why I was able to get through your pack is simply due to all the training/experience I've gained from playing and solving so many level packs, including some of the hardest ones currently available. I also like to think that I've always had this natural puzzle solving mentality, especially since I first played Lemmings when I was maybe around 6 or 7. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2023, 05:27:40 PM »
Don't know if David is still active in the forums, but since I'm playing through the pack right know, here are my comments.

First some generals remarks: I can honestly say that I hardly played through a pack that is visually as appealing as your pack is. "Art Lems" comes to mind, "Lemmings World Tour" has its moments as well, but "The lemmings have grown" definitely plays in the same league. I must confess that I always priorize  puzzle quality over visual quality - but it's never a bad thing when the latter is great, too. Having said this, the puzzles are really good as well. I say this with caution as I'm only at the beginning of the third rank so far. I like that you play the entire keyboard of possibilities. I often associate specific tricks with specific level-authors as they make use of these tricks frequently. At this point of time, I can't say that about you - because of the variety. It can be noticed, however, that your pack is pretty hard from the beginning. I'm not so sure how the difficulty-curve will develop, though. I felt that the second rank was slightly easier compared to the first one. The only thing I don't like is the absence of custom music and the presence of the standard rotation. I know I could simply download a custom music pack. But there's one rule I follow: I always play a pack with the intended music, that's a question of respect to the designer for me.

Now we go into detail:

All my solutions can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/@Swerdis

« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 11:28:57 AM by Swerdis »

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2023, 09:50:42 AM »
When I created my last post, I had already played through the next rank - so here is my assessment. As I stated, I found "Fast Walk" to be a tad easier compared to the first rank.

All my solutions can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/@Swerdis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 11:40:38 AM by Swerdis »

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2023, 10:06:24 AM »
And we move on to the third rank.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 11:45:12 AM by Swerdis »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2023, 11:46:52 PM »
@Swerdis

I'm just posting to let you know that Running 12 in its current form is possible. I wasn't even aware that the level was changed since the time I LPed the pack. Like you, I was nearly convinced it wasn't possible with just half the amount of builder pickups because I felt like I needed at least two extra builders, but no, it is solvable but just barely. At least in my solution, it requires a lot of precision. So, rest assured David didn't make a mistake for the level, though honestly I would provide a couple of extra builders, as they don't seem to break or cheese the level in any way.

Also I know you don't want any since you're that kind of solver like me, but I'll spoiler tag the hints just in case. They're major ones so proceed with caution.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2023, 08:48:56 PM »
Thanks for your help. Still couldn't solve the level, but I skipped it for the moment. Next problem: I can't play Running 16 cause it seems like some pieces are missing. That's strange since I downloaded the "davidz styles" file before I started the pack. And I did it again, but it changed nothing. Some advice?

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2023, 11:23:00 PM »
@Swerdis

Hey Swerdis, no problem at all. Running 12 is quite a toughie now. Still not spoilery, but the spoiler tag simply tells you how many builders to use on both sides, so opening it will reveal the exact numbers, nothing else. Meaning, it doesn't say how it should be done. There's one more hint after that, but it relates to the buttons. For that one, it reveals specifically which one to go for first, but I think you managed to deduce which one it must be.

As for Running 16, check your PMs, I sent you the missing files.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 11:28:06 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2023, 05:35:18 AM »
Solved Running 12

Don't like the level, too precise

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2023, 02:17:34 PM »
Started the 4th rank today, so this will be completed over time.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 07:05:42 PM by Swerdis »

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2023, 11:07:38 PM »
Now that we crossed the finish line in what was the slowest 100 meters in my life, we just left the starting block of the 400-meter-race.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 07:36:31 PM by Swerdis »

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2023, 07:50:37 PM »
I finished the 400-meter-race and decided to run a marathon. Progress will be slow, I'm afraid, though I try my best.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:49:14 PM by Swerdis »

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2024, 03:03:43 AM »
Hello Swerdis,
I just saw all your posts today.
And I see kaywhyn helped you and kindly answered your questions. I thank him for that. ;)
As for me, I will respond to you in a few days, time to look at your solutions.
Thank you for your interest in my level pack. 8-)