Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [Stable released]  (Read 16491 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [Stable released]
« on: October 19, 2020, 01:57:06 AM »
V12.10.0 stable has now been released.

The Release Candidate build for V12.10.0 is now here.

Known issues (click to show/hide)

Download (V12.10.0-RC5, editor not included): https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=450

For convenience, download link for editor V1.29: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=451
This is not a special experimental / RC editor, just the current stable version.

This download only includes the Orig and OhNo styles, plus "default", "xmas" and "special". You can use the in-game Style Manager (in the Settings) to download other styles, or you can download styles manually:
- All styles: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=448 (Updated 29th Oct 2020)
- Any individual style: https://www.neolemmix.com/styles/12.8/XXXXXXXX.zip (replace XXXXXXXX with the style's name, eg: https://www.neolemmix.com/styles/12.8/orig_fire.zip for orig_fire)
That link is NOT a mistake, "12.8" in the link is correct. Said link is based on "minimum version the styles are compatible with", not "current version".

As always, it is recommended you install the RC build to a new folder, rather than trying to use it in the same folder as your existing version of NeoLemmix. You can copy across your hotkeys file (from the Settings folder) after running the RC build for the first time.

Changelog V12.9.4 -> RC1 (click to show/hide)

Changelog RC1 -> RC2 (click to show/hide)

Changelog RC2 -> RC3 (click to show/hide)

Changelog RC3 -> RC4 (click to show/hide)

Changelog RC4 -> RC5 (click to show/hide)

Please report any bugs you find! In particular, report any broken replays that worked on 12.9.X - there should be NO physics changes whatsoever.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:09:41 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 01:59:09 AM »
(Reserved)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
Downloaded it, looked around and here are the things I noticed:

1.) The standard brown background in the menu looks totally weird now. I think it gets zoomed in now or is strached to match the new resolution and it does not look good. I would not zoom in on it or stretch it and rather just extend it at the edges (make it loop) as now it just looks totally of. This would be my biggest concern right now as it's the standard background and it should not look weird.

2.) After we came to a conclusion about the ammount the level title needs to be moved down a bit as Proxima suggested.

3.) Important info for all custom graphic packs: United's old menu graphics might look even better than before. Sure, I need to fix the rank sign with the arrows, but as my own signs do not have lemmings holding them their current smaller size compared to the new standard results in roughly the same sign size. As a result, if your old custom rank graphics lack lemmings holding them and they were all pure sign they should roughly have the same sign size as the new ones just without the lemmings.

4.) I would put the symbols for Lemmings, Save Requirement and RR in the level select menu all in one row, or at least put Lemmings and Save Requirement in the same row.

Another big thing I would change:

"Creator's Tools" submenu added to the Level Select menu.

- First this should be on by default. Even if you are not a creator a mass replay check can be very crucial! Not only creators would want to save a level image, or check their replays! So this should be visible for everyone from the getgo!

- As a result the name "Creator's Tools" is not fitting. "Advanced level tools", "Advanced level options" something in that direction.

- The F7 hotkey should work again! Yes, it's hidden. Yes, you need to know it. But for those who know it's much more conveniant than going into level select first.

And at last a content problem where the bug should not lie on the content's side as it runs without problems on the stable version:

Open any level using objects from "dex_davinci" or "dex_halloween" ("dex_chalk" works for some reason) and you'll see the objects are being marked as missing and the level won't load. Even after copying the style from the stable version into the RC it won't work. Again, the content works flawless in the stable version.
I also copied the current exp editor into the same folder as the RC and the editor loads the levels correctly without errors! So the player has to screw up somewhere.....

The style manager marks the version as outdated (red).

Sidenote: The style.ini still has not sorted in "dex_halloween"  at the right position to the other 2 tilesets by the same author as well.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:27:20 PM »
1.) The standard brown background in the menu looks totally weird now. I think it gets zoomed in now or is strached to match the new resolution and it does not look good. I would not zoom in on it or stretch it and rather just extend it at the edges (make it loop) as now it just looks totally of. This would be my biggest concern right now as it's the standard background and it should not look weird.

The old background was the DOS one but blurred (with some editing to make sure it tiles nicely rather than the blur creating defined edges). The new one is the DOS background run through the NL high-res pixel art upscaler. Most feedback about the change so far has been positive, and even more so there seemed to be agreement the old one was iffy, but if that changes I'm happy to revert / consider something else.

2.) After we came to a conclusion about the ammount the level title needs to be moved down a bit as Proxima suggested.

In the level select menu or on the preview screen?

4.) I would put the symbols for Lemmings, Save Requirement and RR in the level select menu all in one row, or at least put Lemmings and Save Requirement in the same row.

Where would you move the info for neutrals and zombies in this case? Or would you move those onto the same row as lemmings only when there are no neutrals / zombies?

(Creator's tools, esp. mass replay check, feedback)

Good points here. Yes, I'll enable it by default and reconsider the name. Perhaps even reword it to "hide advanced options" rather than "show" + on by default.

Open any level using objects from "dex_davinci" or "dex_halloween" ("dex_chalk" works for some reason)

Will investigate. Can you link me to some levels using these styles?
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
The old background was the DOS one but blurred (with some editing to make sure it tiles nicely rather than the blur creating defined edges). The new one is the DOS background run through the NL high-res pixel art upscaler. Most feedback about the change so far has been positive, and even more so there seemed to be agreement the old one was iffy, but if that changes I'm happy to revert / consider something else.

For me the new background looks incredibly pixelated in fullscreen mode. It just looks ugly. I am not against any changes to the bg as long as they look good, this one does not and I would prefer a blur effect to pixelated edges.

On a closer look I see another thing why it looks way worse now without the blur: The loop transitions where the graphic gets repeated are really visible. It does not look like a consistent background anymore as you can really see the transitions.
Examples:
- Go into the preview screen and look at roughly the height where the rank is displayed. Look at that horizontal line.
- Roughly above the player version is another horizontal line.
- Roughly under the right foot of the lem holding the option sign is a vertical line.
I can go on here. ;P

Quite a few people play in window mode on a smaller screen, I have a big widescreen monitor and play fullscreen. Maybe that is a part of why it looks so much worse for me.

Preview screen.

Where would you move the info for neutrals and zombies in this case? Or would you move those onto the same row as lemmings only when there are no neutrals / zombies?

Yeah, those are problematic. It just seems weird to me that the lemming ammount and the save requirment are not in the same row as they kind of belong together. I am not sure what the best solution is here.

Will investigate. Can you link me to some levels using these styles?

Some Examples:

dex_davinci
Bonus 33 of United,  Advanced Training 3 of the new intro pack, Renaissance Lemmings : https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4238.0

dex_halloween
All Hallow's Eve pack: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4448.0

Perhaps even reword it to "hide advanced options" rather than "show" + on by default.

Sounds good.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:26:44 PM »
It's come to my attention that there are styles out there that have not heeded prior advice at the time of the 12.7 upgrade. It was mentioned that 12.10 would be where backwards-compatibility for the keywords deprecated in 12.7 would end (though I did later decide to maintain backwards compatibility for level files), and this has not changed.

I've added this to the original post. If you have a style (or a replay) that doesn't work in 12.10, but works in 12.9, there is a 99% chance this is why.

Firstly, any content other than level files - if you didn't already bring it up to date with the V12.7 format changes, you must do so for it to work with this version.

Levels will work as is (aside from those using Simple Autosteel), but you should run them through Cleanse Levels anyway if you haven't done so since V12.7.

Replays should be loaded and re-saved, or run through the replay refresher BUT - do NOT run any replays through the refresher if they're from 12.9 or newer (as it may break replays involving the Jumper skill).

Styles "should" be fine, as I upgraded all of them myself alongside the 12.7 release. But the "should" comes from that some people have then used pre-12.7 versions of these styles (despite my repeated stressing that there have been changes) and not run the results through the update tool, meaning there are styles out there that will not work as-is. This is up to style authors to fix, as I have already fixed this once. The 12.7 style update tool may be able to help, but it goes without saying to carefully check that the results are as desired.

Other content shouldn't be affected by this.

EDIT: I have made sure NL displays a user-friendly error message explaining this issue instead of a generic error.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:05:56 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »
A quick update for both of the styles. They work now, but this is still just for testing with the new version. Treat them with a warning!

In discord we discussed that it would be better to first detect any styles that still have this outdated format, then fix them up with the updater. At last, inform the creator+people and deliver the fix with the standard library.

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 07:34:56 PM »
A minor bug I found: The cursor seems to change sizes depending on if you have "High Resolution" active. If you turn on "High Resolution" then navigate to the level preview menu, then navigate back to the main menu, your cursor will be super chonky (See 1st attachment).

Regarding the background: If we're looking for alternatives, I could try to throw something together. Here's a quick draft I did: (see 2nd and 3rd attachments).

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 07:43:03 PM »
Just inserted zanzindorf's background and:

a) It looks even better than the old one
b) makes the text more readable
c) has a modernized feel to it while keeping the spirit of the old theme
d) I can see no ugly transitions

You got my vote! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 08:46:18 PM »
Yep, definitely willing to include that background (or a final version thereof)!

I almost wonder though if the font / scroller are going to stick out now. Although counter-argument: Many pack's custom graphics still will stick out anyway. And in the case of the font, it sticking out is not necesserially a bad thing.

Regarding the cursor: There's no bug here, it's just that the high-res cursor can only be set to sizes that match even multiples of the low-res cursor size. So if you're on a screen / window size that would usually use a 1x or 3x or 5x etc zoom for the low-res cursor, it would have to go to (the equivalent of) a neighbouring number for the high-res one. Whether it goes up or down can be changed, but the only workaround for the issue as a whole would be, possibly, to artificially limit the low-res cursor to even multiples too. Since (I believe) most people still use low-res mode, it doens't make sense to make that awkward just for the sake of high-res mode if it isn't critical to things working correctly.

EDIT: On further investigation, I have found a bug here that would only kick in at larger screen / window sizes. Fixed for next update.

This aside, I've also made a change in that the menu and postview screens now reload the cursor right away when switching low-res / hi-res mode. The preview screen already reloads altogether when this is changed (as that's much tidier than trying to hot-swap the level to high res), so no change needed there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:52:35 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 01:03:32 AM »

Yeah, those are problematic. It just seems weird to me that the lemming ammount and the save requirment are not in the same row as they kind of belong together. I am not sure what the best solution is here.

One possibility could be to put the save requirement first. There is enough room to have four elements horizontally on each line. Thus, first element is always save requirement, second is always lemming count. Third is neutral or zombie count; and if both are needed, zombie takes the 4th slot. The downside here is that release rate is now the only thing on the second row, if viewing a level that has no time limit + either not viewing a talisman or viewing one without a max total skills cap. This itself might feel a bit weird.

Alternatively, first row is used for the always-present stuff - normal lemming count, save requirement, release rate. Second row is used for the optional stuff, and is completely blank when none of the optionals apply. Up for discussion whether positions are fixed or on a "fill from the left" basis (similar to how the skill panel, both in the preview here and in-game, works). Not sure if the huge gap might be awkward though.

Perhaps even reword it to "hide advanced options" rather than "show" + on by default.

Sounds good.

Done. The option is now "Hide Advanced Options in Level Select", and is off by default (so, the advanced options will be shown by default).

Preview screen.

(Context: Moving the level title down a bit.)

For starters, here's a screenshot with every possible line used on the preview screen. What adjustments would you suggest from here?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »
In regards to the background currently present in the RC: when running the RC for the first time, that's the first time I saw the upscaled menu background, and I have to agree, it doesn't look very well. This is a consequence of the upscaler and not the switch to the DOS background, as I modded my installation of the stable version to use the non-upscaled version of it and it looks fine there.

I'm not a huge fan of the changes to the text size or the upscaled background, but the old unscaled versions work fine - the only real flaw is that this results in the text being drawn slightly off-center in the rank graphic, but that could probably be fixed by padding the dimensions with whitespace; I just can't be bothered to do that right now.

If we want to use an upscaled background, a new one such as the one proposed by Zanzidorf is definitely the way to do it as opposed to running a low-res one through an upscaler. Sometimes stuff looks okay when you upscale it, but a lot of the time it really doesn't. I think we could also do better on the text coloration for the buttons, but it would require something more sophisticated than simply hue shifting (again, sometimes it works well, but sometimes it doesn't).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [RC2 update released]
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 01:21:50 AM »
Uploaded an RC2 update. Changes:

> Added a user-friendly warning when a level's styles are in outdated format
> Creator's Tools renamed to Advanced Options, and visible by default (but can still be hidden via an option)
> Cursor changes between low-res / hi-res immediately upon exiting config menu, on title and postview screens
> Fixed bug: Sizing algorithm for hi-res cursor did not properly account for hi-res cursor's larger size
> Fixed a few bugs that lead to crashes - please recheck any content that previously crashed

To upgrade from V12.10.0-RC1, replace your EXE with the attached one.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 01:37:08 AM »
(Context: Moving the level title down a bit.)

For starters, here's a screenshot with every possible line used on the preview screen. What adjustments would you suggest from here?

I'll field this one as I think Icho and I are pretty much on the same page here. The issue is that, although the talisman icons are a huge improvement over having the talisman requirements in words on the preview page, they are still taking up far too much space for a feature used by a fairly small number of levels. Almost all levels with talismans have only one, so an entire row is given up to a single icon, while the level title is cramped against the preview image.

My suggestions:

* Move the talisman icon to the lower-left, moving all the text down. We can then decide on whether to adjust the spacing between lines.
* If you're worried that the space in the lower-left might not be enough for multiple talisman icons, have a single icon with numbers, e.g. "2/3" for "2 out of 3 achieved". Clicking the icon would bring up information on all talismans (and also have a hotkey to call up this information during play).
* Keep the talisman information in words. If you're really dead against this, at least make it an option.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.10.0-RC Released [RC2 update released]
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 09:26:39 AM »
Got to try out the RC2 update earlier tonight. Was it intended to remove the ability to left-click on empty space in the title screen in order to get to the level preview screen? Quite honestly, I have always used left-click on empty space in the title screen to get to the level preview screen after selecting the right level pack or level from a level pack. I occasionally used the F2 key and the ok button to get to it, but for the most part I use left-click on empty space on the title screen. Truthfully, I would love to have the ability to left-click on empty space on the title screen to get to the level preview screen back. I guess it's just due to my habit and personal preference, particularly since I grew up with the Dos version and it allowed for clicking anywhere on the title screen to get to the level preview screen. In the meantime, I'm continuing to use v12.9.4. Also, the green color of the text at the bottom of the level preview screen appears quite blurry to me. I'm guessing that's still being worked on and improved for the stable version? I do agree with the green color, though! :thumbsup: Especially since green so happens to be my favorite color. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0