Author Topic: The Video Game Music Challenge [Official Game Thread]  (Read 4636 times)

Offline LanaAndCo

• The gal that use SuperLemmini
    • View Profile
Re: The Video Game Music Challenge [Official Game Thread]
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2020, 08:51:38 pm »
Music with unusual sounds (click to show/hide)

Cave/underground music (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:40:08 am by LanaAndCo »

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2020, 02:31:34 am »
My sixth round:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2020, 03:20:55 am »
Round 6

My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2020, 06:42:34 pm »
Music with unusual sounds (click to show/hide)

I'm going to hold off on the last one for now. I need to think a bit more about what would qualify a piece as technologically impressive, I think. Knowing how something was done can make something that didn't seem technically impressive become technologically impressive, but it can also make something that seemed superficially technologically impressive suddenly become a lot less impressive.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2020, 07:52:45 pm »
I'm going to hold off on the last one for now. I need to think a bit more about what would qualify a piece as technologically impressive, I think. Knowing how something was done can make something that didn't seem technically impressive become technologically impressive, but it can also make something that seemed superficially technologically impressive suddenly become a lot less impressive.
Understandable! I did not consider that this prompt will be difficult to answer for people that do not know much about the technology behind video game music, as I do.
I will reflect more on my own prompts after going through all people's picks.

But first, let me make some myself. ;)

6.1: Hm... Okay, I'm thinking of three things right now. :P

6.2: Ah, this one I know!

6.3: So when I had thought of this prompt, I immediately thought of something I could use for it. However, after seeing
The best thing is that the music itself is great too! :thumbsup:

I'll start with people's fifth round picks now!
The prompts (click to show/hide)

Responses to Turrican's picks (click to show/hide)

Responses to IchoTolot's picks (click to show/hide)

Responses to Dullstar's picks (click to show/hide)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2020, 09:01:45 pm »
Understandable! I did not consider that this prompt will be difficult to answer for people that do not know much about the technology behind video game music, as I do.
I will reflect more on my own prompts after going through all people's picks.

Eh, eventually there was going to be one that I didn't have a good answer for. It happens. Although in my case it's kind of the opposite - I do know a lot about the technology, but I tend not to be all that impressed by it, possibly from observing from now and not as it was created? Probably each upgrade in the hardware would have been impressive at the time it was released, but now, it's not so impressive anymore unless it really breaks my notions of what the hardware is capable of. Somewhere out there, someone managed to get an NES to play this .mod file (albeit at a bit lower quality) using a generally unused ability the system had to play PCM (DPCM, however, was commonly used), but I can't find the post again. There is, however, a reason that the functionality was generally unused: it took too much CPU. For that reason the only game I'm aware of that used it (Battletoads) only used it on the pause screen. Allegedly, this song on the SNES required some tricks to get working, but I can't really verify it due to not knowing enough about that particular system's exact capabilities (i.e. I know it uses sampled audio and has 8 channels, but I don't know any finer details than that about the limitations). It's a nice song, for sure, but it also doesn't seem that technologically impressive without knowledge of what they had to do to make it work. It's discussed as part of this video, but it has a number of inaccuracies overall, so I'm not really sure how credible the specific claims about the song are.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2020, 08:02:42 pm »
Somewhere out there, someone managed to get an NES to play this .mod file (albeit at a bit lower quality) using a generally unused ability the system had to play PCM (DPCM, however, was commonly used), but I can't find the post again. There is, however, a reason that the functionality was generally unused: it took too much CPU. For that reason the only game I'm aware of that used it (Battletoads) only used it on the pause screen.
Waiit, on the NES? :o I thought you were saying on the SNES! I was going to say that the Toy Story menu theme on Mega Drive also plays a .mod. Just listened to the Battletoads NES pause screen music, though, and that is cool! That reminds me, I also have a GBC game that uses PCM samples. I think you can hardly call the music music though, as besides the title theme, it's only percussion, there's no melody. I can't actually find that soundtrack anywhere, though! You can see footage from the game here, though. https://youtu.be/_Qg5mi3wgSI I would call the soundtrack and the game itself technologically impressive, even though I dislike both. ;)

Continuing on with round 5:
Responses to Nessy's picks (click to show/hide)

Responses to SQron's picks (click to show/hide)

Responses to LanaAndCo's picks (click to show/hide)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2020, 05:02:35 am »
Once again I've been slow, but then again, the game has also been slow in moving on :P

Incidentally... @Colorful Arty No response to my round 3 picks?

Fourth round (continued) (click to show/hide)

Fifth round (click to show/hide)

Sixth round (click to show/hide)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2020, 07:59:39 pm »
Well, I'm naturally quite curious to see people's picks for round 6!

Responses to SQron's picks (click to show/hide)

Responses to Ichotolot's picks (click to show/hide)

Responses to LanaAndCo's picks (click to show/hide)

Responses to Turrican's picks (click to show/hide)

Offline WillLem

• Octopus 9 and the Flying Colours
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2020, 08:53:28 pm »
Response to LanaAndCo (click to show/hide)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2020, 07:44:25 pm »

Responses to Dulstar's picks (click to show/hide)

I started quite late and I wouldn't like to go to bed too late, so I'll do Proxima's picks later. :)

Is anyone else still responding to others' picks, or even listening to them?? Besides Colorful Arty, that is. :P (I'm glad he is!)

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2020, 11:30:02 pm »
Is anyone else still responding to others' picks, or even listening to them?? Besides Colorful Arty, that is. :P (I'm glad he is!)

I have listened to many of the tracks posted in this thread , and I liked most of them!
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline LanaAndCo

• The gal that use SuperLemmini
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2020, 10:35:58 am »
I do listen to the other's answers but I don't respond to them because I don't necessarily have something to say about their choices. But know that I listen to everybody's pick and that it's really cool to see how everyone here have their own taste in music and video games. IchoTolot, for example, seems to like a certain real-time strategy game series. :P  It's just super fun to share our opinions on game music and this in complete harmony. :D  I'm also really glad Turrican picked Apidya (or Agony's German cousin as I like to call it ;P) for one of his answer, I like to see this game being recognized.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 01:28:59 pm by LanaAndCo »

Online IchoTolot

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2020, 10:46:15 am »
I am listening, it's just that besides all the other things I was/am working on there was little time+energy to formulate comments on every pick here on top of that. Just be assured that I am indeed listening. :)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2020, 10:54:24 am »
Oh, I am glad to hear that, guys! :)
I am now also quite busy with university, so I honestly don't mind that the game isn't moving along for now. :P I do hope it will continue later. Or maybe next summer?...