Author Topic: this is what my Superlemmini level packs list looks like now  (Read 3139 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
this is what my superlemmini looks like now after getting all the packs into my levels folders

my packs: (all with the appropriate music)

PSP extra levels
Sega extra levels
Genesis extra levels
Lemmings 2 The Tribes Classic remake
nes extra levels
zx spectrum extra levels
Genesis 2 player
Lemmings Amiga
Lemmings Dos version
Lemmings SNES (uncensored Japanese version)
Amiga Lemmings Demo 5 single player levels and 2 2 player levels including Battle of Midway
Lemmings Demo Dos version 4 levels; 1 in each rank(fun,tricky,taxing,mayhem)
Other extra levels amiga
Other extra levels dos
Oh no more Lemmings Amiga
Oh no more Lemmings Dos version
Oh no more Lemmings Demo DOS Version 5 levels; 1 in each rank(tame,crazy,wild,wicked,havoc)
Xmas Lemmings 1991 Amiga 4 levels;2 xmas and 2 from oh no more lemmings
Xmas Lemmings 1991 Dos version 4 levels; 2 xmas and 2 from oh no more lemmings (the ohno's are different from Amigas)
Xmas Lemmings 1992 Amiga 4 levels; all 4 xmas
Xmas Lemmings 1992 Dos version 4 levels; all 4 xmas
Holiday 1993 Amiga (Plays 3 xmas tunes)
Holiday 1993 Dos version (Plays 2 xmas tunes and orig14 tim10)
Holiday 1993 Demo Dos version (Plays 2 xmas tunes and orig14 tim10) 4 levels
Holiday 1994 Amiga (1994 ranks only) (Plays ohno tunes)
Holiday 1994 Dos version (1994 ranks only) (Plays ohno tunes)
Holiday 1994 Demo Dos version  4 levels (Plays ohno tunes)
Holiday 1993 and 1994 Amiga (both 1993 and 1994 ranks) (Plays ohno tunes)
Holiday 1993 and 1994 Dos version (both 1993 and 1994 ranks) (Plays ohno tunes)
Covox dos version
Covox Amiga(covox were made in dos but the covox ones here were already put in superlemmini when it's installed)
Lemmings Companion dos version
Lemmings Companion Amiga (Lemmings companion were made in dos but were already put in superlemmini when it's installed)
Lemmings Genesis Megadrive (includes fun, tricky, taxing, mayhem, present, sunsoft, 2 test levels, and 2 players)

UPDATE:
Dovelems,
Pimolems,
Lemmings Reunion
Franlems
Dodochacalo's other packs
Zanzindorf's Zemmings vol 1
Zanzindorf's ZZD Special pack
Sublems
Colorful Arty's Reverse Lemmings
Ron Stards Rodents
Mobillems

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:19:11 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: this is what my Superlemmini level packs list looks like now
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 05:10:03 AM »
Wow, this is quite some list! I definitely think it's worth posting this into the first message of this topic so people can see which packs you've uploaded into that topic at a glance.

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 05:23:26 AM »
It would be nice to test these with timed bombers to see how they played originally

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 07:00:48 PM »
Okay, seriously dude, stop bagging modern engines over the fact that they're, well, modern. Timed bombers was an utterly awful gameplay mechanic that should never have been in the game in the first place, and NeoLemmix, SuperLemmini and Lix have all done the right thing by getting rid of it. It's none of those engines' fault that a few levels that specifically relied on a shitty mechanic exist in the official pack, especially when two of those three engines specifically do not try to replicate the official games in any way and their creators openly state they aren't suitable for it.

If you want to play the games as they originally were, play the official versions of the games, rather than complaining that modern engines don't hold themself to poor designs in the official games. I'm not entirely sure what niche SuperLemmini is trying to target, but NeoLemmix and Lix are both intended for custom content. Play or make some of that instead.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 11:20:55 PM »
Okay, seriously dude, stop bagging modern engines over the fact that they're, well, modern.

To be fair, I don't think Eric is having a go at modern engines here, I think he genuinely just wants to see how these levels were intended to be played.

Timed bombers was an utterly awful gameplay mechanic that should never have been in the game in the first place, and NeoLemmix, SuperLemmini and Lix have all done the right thing by getting rid of it.

As you know, I'm right behind the idea of modern engines taking the game in new directions, and it's understandable that with the sheer range of features (both new and old) that NeoLemmix presents, it's impossible to please everyone.

Past versions weren't perfect by any means: most were graphically a bit rubbish and the first games didn't even have a fast forward button! I think we can all agree that the ability to fast forward the slow parts of the levels is a good thing, for sure!

But with something like timed bombers, which was a unique gameplay element requiring practice to get good at, it's always going to be a love/hate thing. If you want to win people over, it's perhaps best to do it by focusing on what's good about NeoLemmix rather than trying to convince people that the things you've removed were bad; that's always going to be debatable.

If you want to play the games as they originally were, play the official versions of the games, rather than complaining that modern engines don't hold themself to poor designs in the official games.

I agree (and I've previously stated) that there's no better way to enjoy the original games as intended than on an emulator. This is obvious.

Again though, I don't think Eric is necessarily complaining about modern engines with his comment about wanting to experience the levels with timed bombers.

I think it's more likely that the inconvenience of finding and running multiple emulators (ZX Spectrum, SEGA, PSP, SNES, Amiga, DOS, etc) rather than a single modern engine which offers an "original game" experience as well as more updated (and in some cases more preferable) features prompted Eric to point out that it would be nice to be able to easily experience the levels, in the way he's suggested, on a modern platform.

And furthermore, I think that his comment is specifically in the hopes that SuperLemmini will eventually become that platform - Tsyu did mention a few months back that timed bombers might make an optional comeback in an updated version of SL. I think this would be a good thing, as then modern players will have the choice.

Of course, I could be wrong, and maybe the comment was a slight on modern engines. In which case, well... everyone's entitled to their opinion, I guess, but I think it's already very clear that NeoLemmix is its own game, so slighting it in this way does seem somewhat redundant.

I'm not entirely sure what niche SuperLemmini is trying to target, but NeoLemmix and Lix are both intended for custom content. Play or make some of that instead.

Having been through an "old-Lemmings-to-new-Lemmings" transition of my own, I have to agree with namida here that custom content is where it's at when it comes to these engines. I've made the Amiga Lemmings pack as a kind of cathartic way of putting that whole thing behind me: it's there, it exists if people want it, but exploring the user-created content is ultimately the main pull of a project like NeoLemmix.

@ericderkovits: definitely have a look at some of the custom packs if you get chance to, it's well worth it. And, maybe have a go at remixing some of the original levels yourself - it's a unique way to enjoy them that only NeoLemmix can easily provide. If you do make a remix pack, I'd love to have a go at playing it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:28:32 PM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 11:59:51 PM »
I think it's more likely that the inconvenience of finding and running multiple emulators (ZX Spectrum, SEGA, PSP, SNES, Amiga, DOS, etc)

RetroArch supports the majority of emulatable ports (though not all) in a single emulator.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:01 AM »
I think it's more likely that the inconvenience of finding and running multiple emulators (ZX Spectrum, SEGA, PSP, SNES, Amiga, DOS, etc) rather than a single modern engine which offers an "original game" experience as well as more updated (and in some cases more preferable) features prompted Eric to point out that it would be nice to be able to easily experience the levels, in the way he's suggested, on a modern platform.

To be clear, this so-called "original game" experience is in reality a very arbitrary line that's being drawn.  Some of the levels like the ones from NES Lemmings were recreations, and there are significant physics difference like builder bridges being 45-degree slopes in that port.  So playing NES Lemmings on any of the "modern" engines out there will not yield an authentic NES experience, though perhaps Eric doesn't care about this specific aspect.  But then so can others deciding that time bombers is not part of the line they'd draw for themselves, that for some particular person that timed/untimed bomber difference is not a big deal in the same way that not doing the NES 45-degree bridges on NES levels is not a big deal for others.  Similarly, AFAIK we don't have a full graphics conversion of PSP Lemmings, so playing the recreations of levels will not be authentic wrt the graphics, which again maybe Eric doesn't care but someone else may find very disappointing.

It's impractical for one single game engine to accurately emulate all the ports out there each with their own idiosyncrasies large and small, especially with a game like Lemmings that have been ported to just about every platform.  So if you're unwilling to use an emulator, you gotta live with the inevitable imperfections relative to the actual port whenever playing on a different engine.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 12:51:33 AM »
First off all I l would never rag on neolemmix(I thinks it's awesome) you can backstep in neolemmix which you can't do in Superlemmi. also I like using sometimes the skill shadows making levels easier to play, especially when lemmings are in a crowd.
Because other engines its annoying when trying to pick a lemming in a crowd to ie build right. I hate having to restart levels when skills are scarce. And I just like to play on all ports not just any one or a few. Also I can play different L1 ports in neolemmix.
also  this is why I wanted to get all of them into Superlemmini(see my list of packs). When I made this statement that was my only intention (not to rag) just to see how they would play. I grew up with lemmings from when they were first released in the 90's so I'm  aweful fond of the original games. Plus Custom packs are too difficult for me maybe outside of some first ranks.
Also I love the music that was in the original games. I have music for most L1 Ports, a few L2 and L3, and even 3d lemmings, revolution and 1 set for Adventures of Lomax. So whenever I say anything about timed bombers its because I grew up with the original  games. So Please don't take offense to Neolemmix, in fact in my opinion It's probably ahead of Superlemmini. And although I like the original games, I love the fact there is custom ones so if I decide to get into that I know Neolemmix will be there for me. There is so much more features like Willlem stated in neolemmix compared to other engines. And emulators can only go so far.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 01:00:37 AM »
Also I'm now playing Rubix's originals levels which I modiefied to match Amiga. removed a lot of things that were not in the originals. So I'm into any one where I can play original games. And lix is awesome, but don't like the fact there is no release rate control, not so worried about a clock. its just when I finished a level I have to use turbo mode to finish the lemmings home.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 01:22:38 AM »
Also we should feel lucky we can play these in different engines, because what if the companies made these engines stop producing lemmings games that are close to theirs. I think I remember don't know who, but perhaps we are biding our luck with them shutting down these engines. Although I don't think they will, my opinion

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 01:47:06 AM »
If that were to happen - SuperLemmini, which primarily relies on the official game content, is screwed, unless Tsyu were to quickly put together an editor and/or put effort into porting content from other engines. Not sure how much protection the "requires a legit copy of Win95 Lemmings" would offer in practice, especially given that it includes levels and graphics that are in no way, shape or form present in Win95 Lemmings's data, and thus presumably are included with SuperLemmini itself.

Lix, precisely because of the insistence on avoiding any official Lemmings content, is safe. It could pretty much ignore any copyright complaint, because it isn't violating any copyright (and the creator is not in a jurisdiction where "sue them out of existance even if they've done nothing wrong" is a viable legal strategy, for the most part).

NeoLemmix lies somewhere inbetween these two extremes. It makes use of a lot of graphical content from the official games, but there's a very significant quantity of content with no ties, beyond using those graphics, to the official games. It would be viable, should it ever become necessary, to modify NeoLemmix to a state similar to Lix, where it's free of any copyrighted Lemmings content. This could either be done by replacing all copyrighted graphics with original ones, or by - if it would hold up - requiring their extraction from a copy of an official Lemmings game. A cease-and-desist or DMCA notice or whatever for NeoLemmix would be a big problem, but not a fatal one.
My Lemmings projects