Author Topic: [SUG/BUG][Editor] Re-apply background to tiles/objects panel  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Until now, in the editor, the background of a chosen tileset was also applied to the images of the terrain and object pieces on the panel at the bottom of the screen.

The newest version of the editor seems to have a slightly different approach to background selection again. When designing levels with very dark terrain pieces, like L2 Shadow, these pieces are incredibly hard to see now because the background in the menu at the bottom is black, even if a brighter background has been selected for the level itself. Thus, it becomes quite tedious to select the correct terrain piece.

Therefore, it would be nice if whatever background is selected for the level landscape itself could also be transferred to the images of the terrain and object pieces on the panel.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG/BUG][Editor] Re-apply background to tiles/objects panel
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
I haven't intentionally made any changes to this, but I'll look into it and see if I can figure out what broke.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »
Which version had the behaviour that you're expecting? I've tried in V1.20 and V1.23, and notice no difference between the two - and in particular, if I set a level's theme to L2 Shadow, I absolutely do get the lighter background color on the piece select panels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:16:53 PM »
So, I checked again, and in the latest version of the editor, having the proper background for the tiles panel works - at least when you select e.g. L2 Shadow as a level theme (like when creating a new Shadow level). Then the bottom menu with the tiles panel switches to it as well.

However, when you open an already existing level in the Shadow style that has the blue background, the background behind the pieces in the tiles menu at the bottom remains black, even when you switch back and forth between different tiles menus at the bottom.

The only way to reverse this is to change the level theme to a different one, and then back to Shadow. Then the backdrop at the bottom is also blue again.

As such, this is a really minor bug - but nevertheless, it seems like the tiles menu at the bottom should know what the current level theme is, also when you open a level using that theme as its primary one.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
Yep, fair assessment. That shouldn't be too tricky to fix, either.
My Lemmings projects