Author Topic: Recolouring Builder sacks  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Recolouring Builder sacks
« on: March 21, 2020, 05:16:48 PM »
The Builder sack usually has a small "reflection" on it (e.g. a white spot on an otherwise red bag). This helps to make the sack look somewhat three-dimensional.

However, I'm having trouble making this work consistently for the various recolourings I've made recently.

Sometimes when I do a recolouring of a sprite set, the whole Builder sack just assumes one plain colour without that reflection creating a sort-of "3D" effect.

Sometimes, the Builder sack gets recoloured but the reflection remains the same as for the former colour, which can look very unfitting.

Sometimes, in contrast, only part of the Builder sack actually gets recoloured while the rest remains red.

I figured out that it probably has something to do with what colour you choose for "MASK", but that alone doesn't seem to be enough.

I also tried to look at the L2 recolourings for guidance, since the Builder sacks for all of those look decent - and it can't have anything to do with the base colour of the Builder sack or the reflection being a different one, because all of those sprites merely recolour the default sprites.

So which other colour do I have to adapt in a theme.nxtm file in order for the Builder sack not to look weird? The MINIMAP? The ONE_WAYS? The BACKGROUND? Or the PICKUP parameters?
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Recolouring Builder sacks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »
From memory, the color used by those pixels on the builder pack is also used by some part of the floater / glider sprite, so try experimenting with the colors for those.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)