Poll

This pack is being re-released soon. Should it have "Classic Green & Blue" or "Original Blue & Pink" Lemminas?

Classic Green & Blue
2 (50%)
Original Blue & Pink
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings, But With Lemminas! (72 Levels) [Difficulty: Medium]  (Read 4589 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
This project has now been discontinued. It will be re-issued soon in an improved version (eta late Jan 2024)!

Lemmings, But With Lemminas!
The original game, with Lemminas sprites!

Download temporarily removed

To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Lemmings, this pack features 64 levels from the debut Lemmings game we all know and love, remixed slightly and including the Lemminas ('female Lemmings') sprite set: this is Lemmings sprites recoloured with pink robes instead of blue, and with their hair in a swish, ready-for-action ponytail.

The pack also features a lush new set of panel icons and Lemminas-themed menu cards.

For the most part, the levels themselves are identical to the originals, however some of them have modified skillsets, whilst others have had their layouts remixed.

:lemming: Some of the levels have had subtle layout changes:

Tricky 9 All The 9s

Taxing 3 Compression Method 2

:lemming: Whilst others have been more extensively re-shaped:

Tricky 15 Lost Something?

Taxing 11 X Marks The Spot

:lemming: And Tightrope City has been given a bit of visual TLC:

Tricky 11 Tightrope City

:lemming: Backroutes have been fixed where appropriate:

Taxing 1 If At First You Don't Succeed...

Taxing 14 Take A Running Jump.....

:lemming: There is also a group of 8 new Bonus levels which have been redesigned and updated for this pack. These are based on some of my early level creations, with improvements to make them a bit more playable! The final level is exclusive to the NeoLemmix version of this pack. Here are some screenshots to whet your appetite:

Bonus 3 What The...?

Bonus 4 Constellations

Bonus 6 As Complicated As It Looks

I hope you enjoy this pack! Feel free to use the Lemminas sprites and music for your own levels, but be sure to credit me if you do so. Thank you!

Music Credits

Included with this pack is 8 brand new compositions, arranged and produced especially for the Lemminas style :lemcat: All tracks arranged and produced by me using Logic Pro X, composer credits as follows:

Lemminas 1 - My own composition
Lemminas 2 - My own composition
Lemminas 3 - Based on Mozart's Sonata in C, Bach's Toccota and Fugue in Dm and Traditional Nursery Rhyme Five Little Speckled Frogs
Lemminas 4 - My own composition
Lemminas 5 - Based on Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C#m
Lemminas 6 - Based on Zoëë's Techno Wonderland, with an ending composed by me
Lemminas 7 - Based on Traditional Nursery Rhymes The Ants Go Marching In and Nellie The Elephant
Lemminas 8 - My own composition

To install, simply unzip the folder to your NeoLemmix directory; it contains everything you need to run the game:

:lemming: levels - the levels themselves, plus the menu cards and skill panel graphics
:lemming: styles - includes the Lemminas sprites
:lemming: music - the 8 new music tracks (see above for credits)
:lemming: Replay - a full set of replays generated during playtesting

Happy Lemmings Day 2021!

:party: :lem4ever: :party:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 03:17:08 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
The willlem_lemminas style has been updated. It now includes an improved low-res Blocker sprite and more extensive recolouring data in scheme.nxmi (for use when creating your own custom-coloured lemminas!).

I have included the updated style in the Lemmings, But With Lemminas! download, and it is also available via the NeoLemmix style manager (make sure you have online features enabled in NeoLemmix) if you already have the pack and would prefer not to download the entire contents again.

Many thanks for playing Lemmings, But With Lemminas! :lemcat:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 11:09:32 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
This pack is currently under review and has been temporarily removed. It will be re-issued soon in an improved version!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Added a poll. Here's how the choices look. Classic Green & Blue on the left, Original Blue & Pink on the right:

NOTE: I'm going with Blue & Pink in the event of a tie
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:10:06 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Blue & Pink it is. I think I prefer the idea of keeping the original theme going :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings, But With Lemminas! (72 Levels) [Difficulty: Medium]
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 03:48:30 AM »
The new version is ready for playtesting in NeoLemmix! Any volunteers?

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 09:59:14 PM »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 08:16:14 AM »
I imagine people are too busy this time of year for playtesting a Lemmings pack. I'll likely wait until into the new year to ask about this again. The pack is happening though, and will be ready very soon, for those who are interested :lemcat:

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 10:25:57 AM »
Nah I don't mind playtesting actually. Do I just send you replays and notes on the level like if I was beating a normal pack?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 12:32:15 AM »
I could do a little testing, waiting a bit might be a good idea though. Holidays do tend to be a busy time for everone (not for me usually though) But for myself I do have several Lemmings related things going on atm, but I'm still happy to test; it'll just be a bit slow.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 09:31:23 PM »
OK, so I'm in the process of making some new levels for this pack. I've got it to testing stage, but realised that I probably want to push it a bit further. Most of my packs made for NeoLemmix so far use new skills, mix multiple visual styles, and contain several levels which more or less require the player-assist tools in order to be solvable. Since these therefore break from the tradition of L1 (which is by far my favourite of all the Lemmings games), I want this pack to take it old school and be as close in spirit to L1 as possible.

In order to achieve this, the following rules must apply to each level:

1) It must be possible to complete the level without pressing pause AND/OR without assigning skills whilst the level is paused. The purpose of this rule is to keep the levels close to the Amiga-style gameplay, where it was not possible to make skill assignments whilst the level was paused. Occasionally, it may be necessary to pause the level to move to another area without losing time, for example - this is fine.

2) The levels must all have a time limit. However, they will provide more than enough time whenever the level doesn't actually require a time limit (so, no unnecessary "remember to up the RR" situations).

3) Levels which provide bombers must all be solvable with timed bombers enabled. This is to ensure that they are playable in both of SuperLemminiToo's bomber modes, but also mean that the levels would be playable if created for Amiga Lemmings.

4) It must be reasonably possible to complete the level without using direction select. It therefore also goes without saying that the same is true for any other non-Amiga player assist tools (such as replay editing, frameskipping, skills shadows, etc).

5) None of the levels can mix styles (although the styles themselves can be modified to include lemmina graphics on traps, etc), and only the Crystal, Dirt, Fire, Marble and Pillar sets will be used.

I may add further rules to this list as and when I think of any. That's it for now though :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 09:38:20 PM by WillLem »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 10:12:17 PM »
There is wisdom in this list beyond defining what is L1-like.

Most good levels don't need the player-assist tools. Yet the player-assist tools are always there to have your back, to encourage exploration with minimal pain. It's reasonable to think of overly sharp pausing as player assistance.

-- Simon

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 01:34:51 PM »
There is wisdom in this list beyond defining what is L1-like.

Thank you, I'll happily take this as a compliment :lemcat:

Most good levels don't need the player-assist tools

It's reasonable to think of overly sharp pausing as player assistance.

Strongly agree with both of these statements. I've always enjoyed the "control the chaos" element of playing L1 on Amiga, which the vast majority of these levels provide. And yet, they're all solvable in real time, no additional tools required.

Yet the player-assist tools are always there to have your back, to encourage exploration with minimal pain

Agreed here as well. I've come to regard the player-assists as basically a time saving mechanism: no need to redo levels again and again in the event of failure. The cost of this is the aforementioned "control the chaos" element of the game, which is difficult to re-introduce to the modern platforms.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 03:28:23 PM by WillLem »