Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release [RC3 released]  (Read 5155 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »
Fencer - It fits the destruction mask very well, but the lemming's body is too far back from its physics position IMO. At the very least it needs to be one pixel further forward, then at least the further-forward foot would be in the right position - maybe this would be enough. However, the lance would then also need to be adjusted to suit. Regarding the back foot - I think it would work better if the back foot was placed slightly lower, and thus would be weird for the first cycle but good for subsequent ones. (This is still an improvement over the previous Fencer sprite, though.)

The others look great! :D

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

Fencer-wise, I can do the 1-pixel move forward for the body no problem. However, regarding the back foot - if the lowest horizontal row of foot pixels was even 1 pixel lower vertically, that row of pixels would disappear from the bottom of the current frame and reappear at the top of the next frame - the only way to fix this would be to resize the area allowed for each frame of the sprite by 1 vertical pixel. Not sure if this would mess with the mechanics/code or anything...

Let me know what's possible and I'll give it one more tickle before the final 12.8 release.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release [RC2 released]
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 03:55:58 PM »
You'd need to increase the frame size by 2, as the low-res needs to be the same size (adjusted for resolution).

Increasing the HR frame height by 2 is fine as long as the LR one is correspondingly increased by 1 - even if the extra row is just blank space.

(It's possible it might work even without doing this, but that may not remain true in the future, so to be safe keep them the same (proportional) size.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:52:47 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 07:23:49 PM »
I have a similar problem to uci earlier in the thread -- in high-res mode only, the skill panel doesn't expand to fill the space. I know the space is there, because NL 12.7 and low-res 12.8 work fine. My best guess is that the algorithm is giving extra space to the playing area first without considering the balance between the two. My screen resolution is 1366 x 768, if that helps.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 10:25:15 PM »
^ For anyone else with this issue - we discussed this on Discord.

Basically, it's not a bug. It comes down to that the panel only allows integer zoom.

The panel can nearly fill the entire screen in low-res, because it can zoom up to 3x while still fitting on screen. The full-width low-res panel is 416px, which can zoom 3x to 1248px (still fits within a 1366px-wide screen).

However, in high-res, it can't zoom at all from 1x. The full-width high-res panel is 832px (exactly double the low-res one, as expected), and even a 2x zoom is too wide - it'd be 1664px.

Aside from "deal with it", the only other workaround is to use the compact panel. This one is 640px wide in high-res, and thus can zoom to 2x (which would be 1280px wide).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
I've now set a target release date for V12.8.0 stable, for either the 15th or 16th of Feb (ie: this coming weekend).
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 05:52:56 AM »
I've now set a target release date for V12.8.0 stable, for either the 15th or 16th of Feb (ie: this coming weekend).

Here are the Xmas versions of the most recently improved sprites (Fencer, Glider, Platformer, Reacher/Shimmier). I think this is everything sprite-wise now; do let me know if there is anything else that needs to be done in time for the weekend.

Also made some final improvements to all of the blockers (namely, reducing the amount of foot-taps). Finally, I have made a suggested improvement to the HR fall-height ruler which now makes it exactly 128 pixels high, and slightly easier to use as a result.

Excited for the official 12.8 release! :lemcat:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 11:22:37 PM »
The fall distance ruler - the existing one was already 64px tall (so 128px in high-res). The whole reason for changing it is because of the limited usefulness for situations with climbers hitting their head (rather than lemmings walking off an edge). However, I've decided to stick mostly to what works - and keep the existing design (as in the V12.7.X and earlier one), just with a slight addition on the top for the climbers.

I don't think the blocker updates are needed, the ones at this stage seem fine. Plus, there are issues with the high-res ones here - stray pixels in the default one; misalignment and/or size mismatch to low-res in the xmas one.

The other xmas updates look good; added them now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release [RC3 released]
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 12:59:53 AM »
Uploaded V12.8.0-RC3, which has a few minor fixes / new features. See the first post for download links / changelog.

I won't wait too long on this - it's for last minute testing / etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there end up being no changes between RC3 and stable.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 01:01:11 AM »
I don't think the blocker updates are needed, the ones at this stage seem fine. Plus, there are issues with the high-res ones here - stray pixels in the default one; misalignment and/or size mismatch to low-res in the xmas one.

To be fair, I did these blockers really quickly after deciding that I wanted less foot-tapping for the other custom sprites. ;) So yeah, just ignore these if there are issues.

Anyway, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help for 12.8, otherwise - can't wait to see the final release in all its glory!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release [RC3 released]
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 01:03:22 AM »
Test, and report any bugs you can find. That's the most important thing at this point. :)
My Lemmings projects