Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release [RC3 released]  (Read 5157 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release [RC3 released]
« on: January 17, 2020, 06:59:32 PM »
At this point, the target date for V12.8.0 stable is 15th or 16th of February.

The Release Candidate build for V12.8.0 is now here.

Known issues (click to show/hide)

Download V12.8.0-RC3: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=386

This download does not include any copy of the editor. Please use the stable editor version for now. If levels refuse to open in it, first try running them through Cleanse Levels using V12.8.0 (F8 on title screen of a pack).

This download only includes the Orig and OhNo styles, plus "default", "xmas" and "special". You can use the in-game Style Manager (in the Settings) to download other styles, or you can download styles manually:
- All styles: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=387 (Updated 15th Feb 2020)
- Any individual style: https://www.neolemmix.com/styles/12.8/XXXXXXXX.zip (replace XXXXXXXX with the style's name, eg: https://www.neolemmix.com/styles/12.8/orig_fire.zip for orig_fire)

As always, it is recommended you install the RC build to a new folder, rather than trying to use it in the same folder as your existing version of NeoLemmix.

If you have a custom hotkey setup you'd like to keep, run the new version once, then copy settings/hotkeys.ini across from your V12.7.X folder. Please note that in this case, you will need to manually add keys (if desired) for the new "Projection Shadow" and "Skill Projection Shadow" features.

Changelog from V12.7.4 (click to show/hide)

No change to existing content is required. However, if you have custom lemming sprites, you may want to update them to reflect the recent changes to the Blocker and Digger sprites. You may also, if you have any custom styles, wish to create high-resolution graphics for them - but this is completely optional.

Please report any bugs you find! This update should not break any existing content (at least that I can think of), so if something does break, assume it's a bug and report it rather than trying to update your content to work around it. (This is, of course, assuming the content in question works fine on V12.7.X - there was a lot of potential breakage from V12.6.X to V12.7.X.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:09:16 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
I have updated the styles format topic with details regarding high-resolution (as well as the new - or at least, newly-useable-by-style-creators-instead-of-a-single-global-list - aliasing feature): https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4337.0
Please read that first if you're trying to create high-resolution graphics for your styles, and if you still have any questions, ask away.

For the official styles, please coordinate with Nessy if you're interested in helping to prepare these.

Most graphics are currently just running through an upscaler. The lemming sprites (default / xmas), the skill panel, helper icons, and the default Pickup and One-Way Arrow objects are the only things with actual high-res graphics so far.

Attached image is a guide to how the new fall distance ruler works.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:46:32 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 09:00:54 PM »
:party:

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »
I've amended the default blocker because there was a stray pixel (also this sprite appears about 4 or 5 pixels too low in-game - not sure how to fix this), and also made the penultimate miner frame a bit better because it looked like the pickaxe was shrinking slightly (done this for both default and xmas).

Other than that and the recolouring issues that you're already aware of, this is looking fabulous!

I'll do another double-check of all sprites over the weekend.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 12:11:47 AM »
Well, good time to test out the online feature. Of course, you can download the images manually from WillLem's post, but otherwise - you can also now use the online features in-game to get updated versions of "default" and "xmas" that contain these sprites. :)

I've amended the default blocker because there was a stray pixel (also this sprite appears about 4 or 5 pixels too low in-game - not sure how to fix this)

I can't reproduce this re: appearing too low. Could you confirm you're not using a styles download from elsewhere (such as the styles download for the stable version), either wholly or as a "mix-and-match", or otherwise using any older files? Basically - this experimental should be set up in its own folder, seperate from any existing NeoLemmix installation. If you are, could you explain in more detail what you mean?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:17:24 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline uci

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »
Low quality graphics is the main reason I don't use NeoLemmix and still prefer other players. So, this is a very useful addition for me.

My top wishes for this hi-res version would be: skill panel made bigger, hi-res cursor, continous zoom in windowed mode. Thanks. :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 06:20:50 PM »
My top wishes for this hi-res version would be: skill panel made bigger, hi-res cursor, continous zoom in windowed mode. Thanks. :)

The skill panel will increase in size as you zoom in, as long as it's not becoming too large to fit on-screen (or in the window). You can often get one or two extra levels of zoom by using the "Compact Skill Panel" option, although note that this sacrifices most of the utility buttons and gives a smaller minimap. The smaller minimap is something you just have to live with if you're using compact panel; but all the utility button functions can be given hotkeys instead (indeed, if you're using either default layout - Functional or Traditional - every utility button has a keyboard shortcut already).

High-res cursor - could you clarify what you mean by this? Do you just think it needs to look nicer? Or do you think there's an issue with the sizing?

Continuous zoom - NeoLemmix has had this for a long time (since V1.47 IIRC). You can even change zoom on-the-fly while playing, using the mouse wheel (or you can use the Configure Hotkeys menu to assign that functionality to keyboard keys). EDIT: Unless you're meaning "allow non-integer zoom levels"? I'm a bit wary of this, as it would distort the visibility of physics, even when using clear physics mode.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:28:22 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 08:03:26 PM »
Details on how to provide high-res graphics for your styles have been added to the styles format topic: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4337.0
My Lemmings projects

Offline uci

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 09:04:31 PM »
The skill panel will increase in size as you zoom in, as long as it's not becoming too large to fit on-screen (or in the window).
It will not happen for me. Panel has fixed size. Here is an image.

High-res cursor - could you clarify what you mean by this? Do you just think it needs to look nicer? Or do you think there's an issue with the sizing?
Well...to look nicer. Maybe thinner to fit with the hi-res graphics.

Unless you're meaning "allow non-integer zoom levels"? I'm a bit wary of this, as it would distort the visibility of physics, even when using clear physics mode.
It seems 3x doesn't work properly. It's the same as 2x.  BTW, 1x generates a division by zero. (I have a 5:4 monitor)

Anyway, thanks for listening to my suggestions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 09:26:05 PM »
Regarding the skill panel - there isn't enough room in that window to zoom it any further than it already is (while still sticking to an integer zoom). Make the window a bit wider and it should be possible - if your screen has sufficient room for it, that is. The compact skill panel's unzoomed width is 320px in low-res or 640px in high-res. Note that NeoLemmix is DPI-unaware; if you override the default behaviour in compatibility settings, to set "Scaling performed by application", this might help. (This doesn't apply if your OS scaling is 100%, in which case this won't make a difference.)

I'll see what I can do about the other points.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:37:55 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:29:49 PM »
Well, good time to test out the online feature. Of course, you can download the images manually from WillLem's post, but otherwise - you can also now use the online features in-game to get updated versions of "default" and "xmas" that contain these sprites. :)

The online/update feature is a genius addition! I can confirm that it worked for updating the styles.

I can't reproduce this re: appearing too low. Could you confirm you're not using a styles download from elsewhere (such as the styles download for the stable version), either wholly or as a "mix-and-match", or otherwise using any older files? Basically - this experimental should be set up in its own folder, seperate from any existing NeoLemmix installation. If you are, could you explain in more detail what you mean?

The Blocker was appearing about 5 pixels too low on the screen. It seems to have been fixed now though, so I can't send a screen shot or anything. The stray pixel is also gone, so it's looking all good for now! :thumbsup:

Low quality graphics is the main reason I don't use NeoLemmix and still prefer other players. So, this is a very useful addition for me.

Glad to know the hi-res mode is a welcome feature!

I've attached a hr version of the cursor, it'll almost certainly need some tinkering from Namida to make it work in-game but it looks visually fine. You can change the existing cursor's look by going into gfx>cursor, opening each image in any PNG image editor that allows transparency and customising it as you wish. Just bear in mind that the low-res cursor is limited to 16x16, for the hr version I've doubled this to 32x32 to allow for a thinner-looking cursor with the same colour scheme as the original. :lemcat:

Side-question: whence cometh the Xmas Lemming in your profile pic?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 09:47:58 PM »
The cursor doesn't show up properly in screenshots, but I've implemented support for it. It looks nice - so that can definitely become part of the update. :)

I did make a few minor tweaks to the graphic.
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 12:48:58 AM »
OK Namida, I've given the following HR sprites another look:

Fencer - the lance now fits the mask perfectly and the movement is a bit more flowy. The only issue with this is that the feet don't fit the diagonal slope of the destruction path; I think the only way to fix this would be to have the first few frames be separate from the rest, like the floater/glider sprites, so that the fencer's feet can be on the floor to begin with, but then 'stepped' during the animation. It looks much better now anyway, see what you think.

EDIT: I've seen your message on Discord regarding this; if moving the feet would create a different problem, let's leave it as it is!

Glider - another few tweaks to make this more subtle, I think it looks a lot better now.

Platformer - tidied this up, there were loads of stray pixels and it was looking a bit like a wobbly weeble :crylaugh: looks far better now, and more like the low-res version.

Reacher/Shimmier - given these another quick tidy, I think the movement is much more natural-looking now.

Let me know what you think of these - community feedback also very welcome. If you're happy with them I definitely think these should be the final versions of these sprites for the 12.8 release (with the exception of the Fencer if you think it's worth getting that animation as tight as possible).

WillLem :lemcat:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:10:16 PM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 01:00:28 AM »
Fencer - It fits the destruction mask very well, but the lemming's body is too far back from its physics position IMO. At the very least it needs to be one pixel further forward, then at least the further-forward foot would be in the right position - maybe this would be enough. However, the lance would then also need to be adjusted to suit. Regarding the back foot - I think it would work better if the back foot was placed slightly lower, and thus would be weird for the first cycle but good for subsequent ones. (This is still an improvement over the previous Fencer sprite, though.)

The others look great! :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.8.0-RC Release [RC2 released]
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 01:15:19 AM »
V12.8.0-RC2 is released. Download is in the first post.

Make sure to update the "default" and "xmas" styles, either via manual downloads or - better - via the in-game style manager. There's also a new style, "bulletride_thorn", that's been added.

Note that the bugs with projection shadow currently remain unfixed.
My Lemmings projects