Author Topic: Revenge of the Lemmings (conversion to v12.7) community help appreciated :)  (Read 31929 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Here's a rehashed crystal version of The Top Shelf (Armageddon 16).
  • Lemming count reduced from 80 to 30 - you can only lose one lemming.
  • You can now walk to the top platform from the left.
  • The "shelf" on the left now has a block in the middle of it, replacing the wall on the left (in any way, climbers going over it will die).
  • Increased Bomber and Blocker count to 5.
  • Made the starting floor thicker.

ADDENDUM:

Turns out that there's a major backroute and I didn't properly accommodate for it - made two additional changes to fix it:
  • Lemming count reduced from 30 to 20 - you can still only lose one lemming.
  • Release Rate increased from 72 to 80.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:41:21 PM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
A fix of "A Bid Farewell" that repositions the trapdoor and exit to their original positions (I had moved them for the Christmas version of this level).

I also forgot to mention that there's an extra bit of terrain on the steel plates below the one-way wall, so Lemmings can walk up over it.  This helps patch a backroute.  I don't know the full intended solution, but I do recall reading part of an interview with the level author once over a decade ago, and he mentions...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The time limit reduction down to 3:30 may be unnecessary.  I can't remember what backroute it's meant to block now, but if it's deemed not to be a concern, it can be upped to 4:00 again.  I'll let Proxima decide when he comes to the level.

ADDENDUM: If anyone wants to try it or think it might work better as a final level for a rank, here's the Christmas version of the level as well!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:09:23 AM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
I patched up The Floodgates Open to change the author's name from Clam to Clam Spammer, if just for the sake of consistency, and to restore the music track it used in Revenge of the Lemmings.

:tal-gold: I also put in the 3-minute time limit as a gold talisman named "617 Squadron", an oblique reference to the Dam Busters.

ADDENDUM: Alternative names "Dam Busters", "Operation Chastise", "Tidal Bore".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:58:53 AM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings (conversion to v12.7) community help appreciated :)
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2020, 02:47:06 AM »
A backroute fix for "JAILBREAK!" and "Sharing a Climber?", and a deadly ceiling fix for "One Step Off".

ADDENDUM: For those curious, this is the major backroute that I fixed in "Spiralling Snowstorm".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:27:44 AM by Crane »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2020, 03:36:21 PM »
Feedback and replays through the end of Pain. Just two levels here I haven't solved yet (22 Herculems and 25 Pipe Dream) but I thought I should post feedback anyway.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
Remake of The Hotel in Hell. I believe that's all of my levels done :thumbsup:

EDIT: Set time limit to 2 minutes and added another fireblower, to fix backroutes found by namida.

EDIT 2: Slightly lowered one platform to make execution a bit nicer, at namida's suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:10:29 AM by Proxima »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2020, 11:52:23 PM »
Yeah, your solution to "A Bid Farewell" looks intended - I forgot about that one, since my own solution is a kind of backroute that saves a basher, although my own fixes to the level forces you to use all 6.  I can't remember what backroute the reduced timer is meant to patch, but I vaguely remember saving 2 bashers somehow.

NOTE: The replay is meant for the version that came with RotL, not my modified versions.

With your approval, I will up the time limit on my modified versions back to 4 minutes, and also increase the time limit of "That Freezing Feeling" to 4 minutes as well so we stick with round time limits.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2020, 12:12:42 AM »
"A Bid Farewell" and "That Freezing Feeling" with time limits set to 4 minutes.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2020, 12:46:23 AM »
Here are the original versions of "The Shaft", with a couple of extra twists, taking advantage of the ability to mix tilesets and flip and rotate pieces.

Also reduced the time limit on the first Shaft from 10 minutes to 9 minutes to it better abides by the rules of a "traditional" level.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2020, 02:07:18 AM »
"Betcha can't save just one!" with the RotL music and a talisman to boot!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2020, 01:04:20 PM »
All the music for RotL is tracker formats (MOD, IT, etc), so someone familiar with OpenMPT (or a similar app) should be able to handle this part of things. It's pretty much a matter of finding the appropriate point to jump to, and adding a "Pattern break" and "Position jump" command. I might make a tutorial at some point.

I saw this scrolling through the thread, and I don't get the impression this has been resolved. Technically, it's very straightforward.

There are a few issues that complicate things a bit. All of the files have the extension .it for some reason, regardless of whether or not they are actually .it files, though OpenMPT seems to be able to figure out what they actually are somehow. track_02, for example, is actually a .mod. This has to be checked before a pattern break can be used, since this effect depends on the format. Another problem is that, since some of these weren't designed with looping in mind, some don't really have good loop points to work with, though it's still often possible to clean up the restart process a bit so it sounds less abrupt. track_02, for example again, has a long silence after it finishes but before it restarts, and if you trim that silence out it loops reasonably well, though if you're actively listening it for it it's pretty obvious where it's looping (it sounds fine, at least, so it's not like it's an abrupt cut-off or anything).

Since there are 48 tracks, I don't plan on going through each of them and checking the looping, but I can try to make functional loops for anything brought to my attention.

Also, here are instructions if someone wants to try it themselves. These are a bit more informative than namida's, though still not quite at the level of being useful for someone who's never used a tracker before. It does explain the commands, but assumes you know how to input them, for example.
Instructions (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2020, 06:02:33 PM »
All of the files have the extension .it for some reason, regardless of whether or not they are actually .it files, though OpenMPT seems to be able to figure out what they actually are somehow. track_02, for example, is actually a .mod. This has to be checked before a pattern break can be used, since this effect depends on the format.

A long time ago, NeoLemmix only looked for "IT" and "OGG" extensions, even though it supported all the formats it does now if you changed their extension to the most similar out of those two. This has long since been resolved, but ROTL's music was compiled before this was fixed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2020, 12:51:44 AM »
I'll probably eventually be able to get through all of the tracks simply by playing them while working on other things, but it will take a while, since there are 48 of them.

Here's what I've got so far. Probably won't upload anything until it's done.

No work required:
Already loops/restarts non-distractingly: [1, 3, 4, 9, 11, 12]

Work needed
Does not loop cleanly: [5, 6, 7, 8, 10]
Unchecked: [13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48]

Done
Done: [2]

Correct extension list (items on the unchecked list from above are omitted here)
.mod: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12]

Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:54:34 AM by Dullstar »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2020, 11:16:31 PM »
Fixed versions of Nemesis and its easier version, Dream Eater (besides matching the scenery, I increaed the rescue limit from 60 to 72 so it's more Tricky-like).

Also find "The Duct Rise Lemmings" restored to the first version (it looks neater in my opinion even though mechanically it's completely identical) and also another copy of "The Top Shelf" that has a different choice of music track (using track 01, which doesn't see much use in the later ranks).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2020, 12:08:11 AM »
- Fixed "Training Zone Alpha" and "Training Zone Omega".
- Made some minor terrain changes to "Food for the Gods" and "Finding a place to stay" to account for the higher-precision Blockers that didn't exist in the original Lemming.
- This is a Gate Level has had its deadly ceiling fixed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:17:18 AM by Crane »