Author Topic: [Suggestion][Player] Show skill shadow for shimmier+glider+walker combo  (Read 1857 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Imagine you have a shimmier who is also a glider and want to interrupt the shimmier action with a walker.

I think it would be beneficial to already show the resulting glider flight path while hovering with the walker skill over the shimmier+glider lemming.

Yes, it's situational, but I think in these situations precision glider flights would become easier to aim and accomplish. :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion][Player] Show skill shadow for shimmier+glider+walker combo
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »
I actually agree with this. I noticed this problem whilst doing the Wild 13 new skills challenge, particularly while you're shimming you want to land on the exit platform as early as possible.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 06:04:38 PM »
Workaround: Pause and assign the walker. You can now immediately mouseover the lemming to see its glide path; go back one frame if you don't like the result.

This is pretty close but not 100% ideal, so I will look at implementing Icho's suggestion in the future.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 08:17:36 PM »
Workaround: Pause and assign the walker. You can now immediately mouseover the lemming to see its glide path; go back one frame if you don't like the result.

This is pretty close but not 100% ideal, so I will look at implementing Icho's suggestion in the future.

I knew that walkaround and already did this, but why do that when we could see it immidiatly. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 04:40:03 AM »
I'm going to implement this in a more generalized way, as I think if I implement this specific case, it's opening the door to a lot of other possible edge cases.

Instead, I'm going to implement two new hotkeys: "Projection" and "Skill Projection".

"Skill projection" will cause a shadow to be drawn for the selected lemming, showing his path over the next 15 seconds or so if he were to be assigned the currently-selected skill. "Projection" is the same, except without a skill assignment (ie: he just keeps doing what he's currently doing). Note that these will not take into account upcoming replay assignments.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 06:14:50 PM »
I've implemented the above suggestion, though it's currently somewhat buggy (in the sense of "it doesn't always show up"; but when it does show up it's correct, and it has no side effects). Basically - it doesn't work (in either form - with or without the skill change) if the currently selected skill cannot be assigned to the lemming. I believe this is a side effect of some performance hacks relating to shadows.
My Lemmings projects