Author Topic: Christmas graphics not working... [SOLVED]  (Read 3352 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Christmas graphics not working... [SOLVED]
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:04:51 AM »
Hi all,

I'm having an issue getting either version of the NL Editor (I have 1.43n-C and 1.14) to recognise the xmas tilesets. I've taken a screenshot of the issue for each.

Both versions of the editor have the "xmas" folder in their respective "styles" directories, complete with all graphics & sprites... ???

Pictures attached:

1.43 error1 - this is what happens when I try to create a new level with the SuperLemmini>Christmas tileset

1.43 error2 - this is what happens when I try to open any .ini or .lvl Christmas-themed level

1.43 directory - the xmas folder, complete with xmas.ini file and all graphics, is where it should be (I think...!)

1.14 noxmasitems - this is what happens when I try to create a new Christmas level in 1.14 - I get the objects, but not the terrain

1.14 openslevelbutnoitems - 1.14 can open .nxlv Christmas levels (but not .ini or .lvl) but the items are still not displayed below

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:21:33 AM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Christmas graphics not working...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:55:57 AM »
I'll have to leave it for someone else to try and help you with the V1.43 issues, but:

1.14 noxmasitems - this is what happens when I try to create a new Christmas level in 1.14 - I get the objects, but not the terrain

1.14 openslevelbutnoitems - 1.14 can open .nxlv Christmas levels (but not .ini or .lvl) but the items are still not displayed below

The Xmas style in modern NeoLemmix doesn't contain any terrain pieces, only objects and lemming sprites. For the terrain - you'll want to use the dropdown just above the styles to select the "Snow (OhNo)" style. Most terrain pieces are identical between these two styles in the first place; xmas did have a few unique pieces, but these have now been merged into ohno_snow.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 01:42:12 AM »
I'll have to leave it for someone else to try and help you with the V1.43 issues, but:

The Xmas style in modern NeoLemmix doesn't contain any terrain pieces, only objects and lemming sprites. For the terrain - you'll want to use the dropdown just above the styles to select the "Snow (OhNo)" style. Most terrain pieces are identical between these two styles in the first place; xmas did have a few unique pieces, but these have now been merged into ohno_snow.

Thanks, Namida - found the styles in 1.14 now. :thumbsup:

Can anyone help with 1.43n-C? I can't seem to get it to "find" the xmas styles, even though they are in the correct directory... ???

Or, does anyone know where I can find the xmas levels in .lvl format? I'll try opening them in NeoLemmix style to see if that makes a difference...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 01:48:10 AM »
By "LVL" format, do you mean DOS Lemmings format (grab a copy of Holiday Lemmings 94, you can use DATPacker to unpack the LEVELxxx.DAT files), or NeoLemmix LVL format (try the NeoLemmix source code git repo; check the branches for older versions - although I'm not sure exactly when I started including these in the repo).

Despite the same extension, these formats are not the same. You can tell which a file is by the filesize - DOS LVL files are always exactly 2KB. NeoLemmix LVL files towards the end of the old-formats era can be any size, while earlier ones will usually be exactly 10KB.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »
By "LVL" format, do you mean DOS Lemmings format (grab a copy of Holiday Lemmings 94, you can use DATPacker to unpack the LEVELxxx.DAT files), or NeoLemmix LVL format (try the NeoLemmix source code git repo; check the branches for older versions - although I'm not sure exactly when I started including these in the repo).

Despite the same extension, these formats are not the same. You can tell which a file is by the filesize - DOS LVL files are always exactly 2KB. NeoLemmix LVL files towards the end of the old-formats era can be any size, while earlier ones will usually be exactly 10KB.

I mean NeoLemmix .lvl format.

Sometimes, when 1.43 doesn't want me to open a particular .ini file (or if no .ini file exists for a particular level), I can open the equivalent .lvl file instead and choose NeoLemmix from the style menu. I can then save it and open it in SuperLemmini, which automatically generates a .ini file which can then be opened in 1.43 (as long as the graphics sets are there)!

Or, if anyone knows how to make it so that my copy of 1.43 can find the "xmas" tilesets, this would solve the problem and I wouldn't need to use the workaround (which involves sourcing .lvl versions of the xmas levels).

I'll have another look at it later today, but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime (that turn out to work) there's a virtual Mars bar in it for you* :)

Cheers,

-WillLem 8-)

*Disclaimer - By this, I mean I will send you a picture of a Mars bar**. No actual chocolate will be provided in exchange for services rendered in regards to this matter. Thank you for noticing this notice.

**Disclaimer addendum - I won't actually send anybody a picture of a Mars bar for helping me with this, but I will send good thoughts. Thank you.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 01:35:59 PM »
SUSSED IT!!!

I have to go into the .ini file in a text editor and change the name of the style to "Christmas" rather than "xmas" and the level opens! Woo-hoo!

I will not be sending myself a picture of a Mars bar... :P